MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Brewers: It's time

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Brewers: It's time

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:39 am

So, a couple parts of the Brewers pitching problem officially were removed this week, with the long, long, long-belated release of Jeff Suppan and the announcement that "starting" catcher Gregg Zaun will not return (though, with the inexperienced replacements now holding down the catching spot, it's not likely anyone's gonna call a much better game than Zaun - but maybe they can learn to).

Now it's time for the Brewers brass to own up to another mistake and fire Rick Peterson into the sun - particularly since it seems they aren't going to remove the seemingly lost in dreamland manager Macha. It can't be a coincidence that so many starting (and relief) pitchers who have previously been at least serviceable are now all experiencing the same issues - an apparent lack of control over their pitches, tons of home run balls on "mistakes" and extremely high pitch counts leading to short outings. "Miracle worker" Peterson worked the same magic with the Mets, and Willie Randolph has to feel queasy seeing the same thing happen here that cost him his managing job in New York.

The question is, though - who replaces Peterson? The Crew jettisoned two very good, longtime organization pitching coaches in panic moves last year, so there's not as many potential replacements in the system right now.

As an aside to this: I think when all is said and done and there's a bit of time passed, the move that Melvin didn't make - holding on to Mike Maddux at all costs - will be just as damning of his time in Milwaukee as his many ill-advised high-dollar free agent signings.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brewers: It's time

Postby talagaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:58 am

The Brewers have the talent to be at least a .500 team, management is terrible. Melvin's only successful actions have been a couple of decent draft picks in his first few years and signing up decent farm team contracts. Why they moved Bosio from pitching coach after what... 3 months, I'll never know. It's not like the front office gave him anything to work with, injured starters and a collapsing bull-pen.

Macha is like Obama on the oil spill. People want to see him get angry but it's not going to do anything, it will just make folks feel better. Melvin is the problem but Attanasio will keep him around until we see a couple low attendance years. Attanasio may say he wants to make the playoffs but he seems happy with a break-even team and a cool skybox he can come visit every so often.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 pm

So I've got ESPN Gamecast up and it's bottom of the 10th and somehow Craig Counsell gets a walk off sacrifice bunt with a guy on first? I'm pretty sure gamecast doesn't do a play like that justice. Have to watch the highlights I guess.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:31 am

I saw it. It almost made me puke.

Seriously, how soon can football season start?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 am

Seriously, how soon can football season start?

I hear ya. So since it looks like neither team will do anything significant this year can Cub and Brewer fans join forces and focus our rage on St. Louis?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:22 am

Yeah, yesterday was a real clash of the titans. Neither team deserved to win that one.

Can you imagine the freakout Brewers fans would be having today if Gomez's decision to try and make third base was unsuccessful?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm

fisticuffs wrote:So since it looks like neither team will do anything significant this year can Cub and Brewer fans join forces and focus our rage on St. Louis?

No.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 pm

...time to run off a string of wins (knock on wood & shower the baseball gods/goddesses with alms, etc.)! A home sweep of the Twins would be undeniably sweet...and hopefully a sign the team will start to get down to business. I'm amazed Parra was able to dodge the bus last night, as wild as he was. But maybe the scales of fortune will be tilted our way for a while.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm

You'd think at some point they'd get a few breaks. I still think if they can get back to .500 by the All Star break, they have a shot since the division is again weak ... provided someone shows some leadership. Despite his inexperience, Lucroy replacing Gregg "Done" Zaun has surprisingly helped a lot. And it does sound like the veteran members of the pitching staff have collectively decided to start ignoring Peterson's suggestions.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 pm

I'd hoping Grandpa orders retaliation for Prince getting beaned last night. Late inning, just after intentionally walking Corey Hart to get to Prince(!), the first pitch was right at Prince's head (and looked like it might've actually glanced off the top of his helmet), Second pitch was way inside and plugged him square in the shoulder. Take your base. Gardenhire yanks his pitcher right way after the job was done.

Lu-croy and Ax-ford have given me optimism.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Get out the broom! Yo not only shuts em down and out, he was the offensive catalyst. Two wins by the seats of their pants...courtesy of
"Spot 'em an inning" Narveson and "Wildboy" Parra...and one convincing win by the ace. If this team starts to believe a little, there's still plenty of ball to be played...not to mention the division leader has a double agent on their roster, dear old Soup!

Sidebar note - I believe the whole downfall began when Uecker's heart condition took him out of action. He showed up in the radio booth yesterday...'nuff said.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Yeesh...can I retract my last post? It is time. Got to agree with minicat - something's fundamentally funky with the preparation and management of the pitching staff. And now it's leaked onto the field and into the batter's box. Somebody needs to light a fire under these guys, and Macha's not up to that task. Baseball's been my sport, but I'm starting to drift...especially with the Bucks' free agent moves and and the strong leadership/commitment to winning that they're showing. Brewers need the baseball equivalent to Skiles/Hammond.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:05 pm

This team has just looked aimless all season; motivation does seem to be a major problem. I still think they have the talent to be competitive in the division, but Macha has to go. It's way, way past time to see if Willie Randolph can do better.

And, unfortunately, after the season it's probably time for Melvin to follow. I don't agree with all of his offseason moves (signing a 40 year old career backup to be your starting catcher? Has any other team in history EVER done that?). I think quite a few of them were about the best options out there but for one reason or another haven't worked (Randy Wolf and Doug Davis come to mind). Despite the results I really thought he did a much better job preparing a serviceable team than last year ... he really stocked up on pitching. The bench has sorta been the expected turd-fest, though.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

OK. Today the Crew is finishing off a historically inept series against the Giants (who came into the series 2-10 in the past couple weeks, I believe) with even more bad pitching, hitting and defense. Two walks in the first inning led to no runs. They even loaded the bases with nobody out in the 2nd inning and didn't score. And more ill-timed errors led to a big Giants inning.

Question: Are the players throwing it right now to try and get Macha fired? The level of play the past week sure seems to indicate something more than just general malaise is going on. I don't think they could beat a teeball team right now.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I just watched (on the tube) the Brewers suffer through another horrible loss. A week ago I thought they might be in the market to acquire help for a playoff run. Now I think they will be sellers.

Bye bye Prince.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking