MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Why no clocks in airports?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Re: Why no clocks in airports?

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I spent 5 seconds googling "msp airport". There are clocks. Repeat, there are clocks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoentropy/4452495900/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm

At the risk of sounding antagonistic, couldn't there be a simpler reason for the perceived lack of clock? (e.g. they're not free) It has been suggested that bus/train stations are better at providing this service. However, how large is the average bus/train station vs the average international airport? How many more clocks would it take to fulfill this apparent need in airports? One clock every 200 ft? Really?
Sure, the actual clock is probably fairly cheap. But, they must all link to a system that keeps them synched. I'm guessing that would require miles of cable in the average airport. Plus the system needs to be maintained, etc. Perhaps the powers-that-be in the industry have decided that (a) the average flier probably has a personal timekeeping piece and (b) those that don't can read the clocks already provided.

But, it could be a conspiracy....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I spent 5 seconds googling "msp airport". There are clocks. Repeat, there are clocks.

Ned, nobody said there weren't any clocks at airports (or that all airports are equally bereft of clocks, for that matter.) It's a question of putting them where they're most needed. The photo you linked is of a clock at a gate. If you're already at the gate, you're probably not gonna be late for your flight.
The OP and I are simply sharing our observation that in many airports, there don't seem to be many clocks in places where they're actually useful.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:I spent 5 seconds googling "msp airport". There are clocks. Repeat, there are clocks.

Ned, nobody said there weren't any clocks at airports (or that all airports are equally bereft of clocks, for that matter.) It's a question of putting them where they're most needed. The photo you linked is of a clock at a gate. If you're already at the gate, you're probably not gonna be late for your flight.
The OP and I are simply sharing our observation that in many airports, there don't seem to be many clocks in places where they're actually useful.

OK, I found this in three seconds. You people are high.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:OK, I found this in three seconds. You people are high.

And I found these in the same amount of time:

We can go back and forth all day if you want. For every photo you can find with a clock, I can find three without'em. Is that really how you wanna spend your time, 'cuz honestly, I've got better things to do.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Oh for cripes sake. There are clocks on every digital arrival/departure board in every major and not so major airport. They are supplemented with additional clocks on the departure board at each gate. In addition, there are old analog clocks all over most airports (see Minneapolis example).
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:There are clocks on every digital arrival/departure board in every major and not so major airport.

{Sigh}

The only time I'm sure of from those photos is that it's time for you to shut up.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:12 pm

I walked through Phoenix and Denver airports without seeing a clock. Maybe I missed them. They shouldn't be easy to miss. There are two crucial pieces of info in the process of catching a flight, your gate number and the time to be there. At any airport from any point in the terminal I can look up and see HUGE gate numbers. Why can't the time be as obvious? Seems silly.

Not quite as silly as MSN security confiscating a half-empty 4 oz. tube of sunscreen, but silly nonetheless.

jman111 wrote: couldn't there be a simpler reason for the perceived lack of clock? (e.g. they're not free)

I appreciate the thought but the Denver airport came in at just under 5 billion with the whole underground thing they got going on there. A few hundred grand for a decent clock system? They spent more than that on art.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:19 pm

I am on the pro-clock side of this argument. Thus, my next statement is satirical: Why even have signs for airport restrooms and gates anymore? Anyone with an iPhone (meaning, anyone with half a brain) can have a gate map, flight schedule, and airport layout in their hands within seconds. And don't forget, all those annoying signs also cost money.

Any comments about the gradual disappearance and now-scarcity of coin payphones in airports and other public places? We all know why this is the case. I think that some public phones should be kept in operation, though.
"Is there a phone bank? Buncha payphones?"
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I have also noticed it is sometimes hard to find a clock at some airports. That is why I make sure to bring my watch along. It is common for people to notice my watch and ask for the time.

A few years ago when I had decided to buy a watch, I found that the analog watches were harder to find than in the decades past. But I did find a great watch at Goodman's on State St.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat May 15, 2010 11:58 am

Shortly after this thread became active, I headed out to Colorado to attend a wedding.

So, of course, I ended up compulsively noting the presence or absence of clocks in the three airports I used. Thanks, Forum.

Madison and Milwaukee were both very good. Far better than most in my recent travels.

Madison:

The arrival/departure boards show the type, but instead of hiding it in mouse type at the bottom of the board, it's big and red, and in the upper right corner of the screen.

At each gate, there's a 2-inch red LED clock at the top of the little wall behind the gate counter. I don't know that I've seen that in other airports I've visited, but it's in an excellent position to see even as you're hurrying down the concourse toward your own gate.

Milwaukee (Concourse D, Midwest/Frontier):

Arrival/Departure boards and screens behind the gate agents show the time in nondescript small type, but other clocks more than make up for them.

The "crossroads" of the concourse has a very large, old-timey-looking, four-sided analog clock, and clocks with 2-inch red LED displays jut out from the concourse walls at reasonable intervals. (You can see one glowing in the background in the photo linked above, just to the left of the big clock's post.)

Denver:

Definitely lacking, as the OP noticed. The arr/dep boards show the time, but in stop-and-squint type down at the bottom. I don't think the gate counters had time displays at all. But unlike MKE, DEN doesn't do much to make up for them elsewhere.

I guess the cost overruns on the extraterrestrial-run, underground detention camps must have required them to cut back on the clock budget.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun May 16, 2010 5:16 pm

mrak wrote:I guess the cost overruns on the extraterrestrial-run, underground detention camps must have required them to cut back on the clock budget.

Leo Tanguma painted two similar murals in the Memorial Union. Is there a secret underground facility there as well?! Someone ask Tunnel Bob ...
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:56 pm

it is so that people don't know how long their flights are overdue. about five years ago o'hare was such a clusterfuck that after the third time being stuck there waxing my bat and hearing similar things about other locations i resolved that every time aeroplane travel is required i would drive up and fly out of montréal or toronto instead. works great, unless of course one is going some place like janesville, the twin cities, or detroit in which case it is just better to drive.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Why would anyone go to Janesville?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:Why would anyone go to Janesville?

I've lived in Janesville and I still don't know.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Travel