MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Why do they even bother with the "new" Brewers logo?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Why do they even bother with the "new" Brewers logo?

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm sure back when the Brewers crapped out their new, lesser logo, they had some impression that the old logo was "tired" or some such thing. They may have done some sort of research, or someone high up may have just made that call.

However, it definitely does seem clear now that people like that old logo better - you'd think they'd move back. Seriously, how many people wouldn't like a switch back to the glove?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby feisty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Recall that they messed around with an intermingling of M and B that looked an awful lot like Notre Dame (Motre Bame?).

feisty

Postby Crow » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:51 pm

I've always assumed that the new logo was adopted in order to obtain brand synergy with Miller Brewing. Whether explicit or not, a design suck-up in exchange for sponsoring the ballpark. I could be wrong, though.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 pm

rrnate wrote:I'm sure back when the Brewers crapped out their new, lesser logo, they had some impression that the old logo was "tired" or some such thing. They may have done some sort of research, or someone high up may have just made that call.

Ironically, I think it was more a matter of the glove logo not looking old enough.

The year before the Brewers retired it, the Orioles moved into the intentionally old-timey feeling Camden Yards, which (at least in my not-so-reliable memory) ushered in an era of baseball marketing itself by celebrating its own history more aggressively than before.

Contemporary, design-conscious logos like the Brewers' glove were out. Retro-looking graphics, scripty logotypes and more symmetrical compositions (like the Brewers' interlocked "MB" laid over a diamond and crossed bats) were in.

Of course, it's the glove logo that's retro-cool now. We've come full-circle and then some.

(Digression: you can see the same thing in the evolution of U.S. movie studio logos in the 60s and 70s, and how they eventually came back around to classic, old-Hollywood style.)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:01 pm

mrak wrote:
Contemporary, design-conscious logos like the Brewers' glove were out. Retro-looking graphics, scripty logotypes and more symmetrical compositions (like the Brewers' interlocked "MB" laid over a diamond and crossed bats) were in.

Of course, it's the glove logo that's retro-cool now. We've come full-circle and then some.

That's pretty funny. Any thoughts on why there hasn't been a wave of nostalgia for the weird barrel-batter image? (Maybe that was back when the glove logo was being used?)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm

rrnate wrote:That's pretty funny. Any thoughts on why there hasn't been a wave of nostalgia for the weird barrel-batter image? (Maybe that was back when the glove logo was being used?)

Probably for the same reason that Bernie no longer slides into a mug of beer-- an attempt to tone down the drinking imagery. Of course, that didn't matter when Miller waved a pile of naming-rights cash at them.

Incidentally, while I don't have a horse in this, from a purely visual aspect I'd vote for bringing back the mitt logo, but using the deeper blue of the current scheme.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 pm

rrnate wrote:That's pretty funny. Any thoughts on why there hasn't been a wave of nostalgia for the weird barrel-batter image? (Maybe that was back when the glove logo was being used?)

According to Wikipedia, he was retired when the glove logo came around.

ilikebeans, above, probably has the right idea. The team's named for beer, the stadium's named after Miller, it pours freely from taps all over the stadium, but you're not going to sell as many T-shirts and caps if schools don't want the kids wearing beer-themed merch to class.

I'd like to see more of the guy, though - especially since he has much more of a history than I'd ever realized, dating back to the old, minor-league Brewers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Barrel_Man
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Hang on, Barrel Man's day may have come!

Check out the 2008 giveaway bobbler at the bottom of this page:
http://ericapp.weebly.com/barrel-man.html
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:44 pm

This, in many ways, parallels my own experience as a Twins fan. Since the beginning, this is what was on hats:

People didn't like it because nobody could figure out what the TC stood for (Twin Cities). And then the statists got all bent out of shape because it was Minnesota's team, not just the Twin Cities. Fine, so they switched to the unremarkable M.

As was stated above, it was more or less fake old timey. Almost immediately, people started clamoring for a return to TC. I think they still wear M on the road. And then there are these guys:

That represents the bonding of the old Minneapolis Millers and the St. Paul Saints, storied minor league teams that went away when the Twins showed up in town. I think there's a shoulder patch featuring them.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 pm

massimo wrote:All this got me thinking of the old Expos logo, and how I always wondered as a kid "Why does their logo read 'elb' ?"

Or, alternatively, "Why is the Expos' logo comprised of two sets of male genitals?"

The answer being - if you have to ask, I'm never going to be able to explain it to you.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

jjoyce wrote:That represents the bonding of the old Minneapolis Millers and the St. Paul Saints, storied minor league teams that went away when the Twins showed up in town.

Since when did the Saints go away? Or is the current one a reincarnation?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Ducatista wrote:
jjoyce wrote:That represents the bonding of the old Minneapolis Millers and the St. Paul Saints, storied minor league teams that went away when the Twins showed up in town.

Since when did the Saints go away? Or is the current one a reincarnation?

Correct. The current Saints are unaffiliated with MLB.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking