MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Misleading quote in Peace Park article

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Misleading quote in Peace Park article

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 am

Near the end of Joe Tarr's article on the renovation of Peace Park, he quotes Stephen Bottila.

Stephen Bottila, an activist with Operation Welcome Home, hangs out at the park regularly when it’s warm. He says “I’ll go to the library, which they’ll probably rip down next. Otherwise, I’ll go to Silver Mine Subs or any place else that doesn’t discriminate against me.”

Given the tone of the rest of the article, it might imply that people are regularly discriminating against him as an activist (as he is listed here) or as a homeless person (which is not clear, but might be inferred from the other Peace Park folks quoted).

But Bottila's comments most likely refer to the discrimination he has (frequently) claimed due to his use of a service dog. In addition to his claims against the Park St. McDonalds, which was tossed out in court, he has claimed discrimination in at least six other instances.

So, yeah, this might be nitpicking, but I don't consider that a particularly representative quote against the downtown businesses who balance the needs of "regular" customers against those of mostly-homeless people who use these places as home base. It's kind of like quoting Kevin Barrett on... well, anything and expecting him not to relate it back to his personal struggle against the government.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Misleading quote in Peace Park article

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 am

To say nothing of the pissy, stupid comment about tearing down the library. Yes, Stephen, the city will tear down a library before it lets you and your dog sleep in it. The world is against you.

I'm sure Silver Mine Subs appreciates the free pub.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 am

Is this the same guy who had the lawsuit against Buc's?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:Is this the same guy who had the lawsuit against Buc's?

Different guy.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:52 pm

Wow, I was sure that was the same guy. So there's two of these "service" dog dinks out there huh?

Poor dogs.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com