MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Review of Greg Przywara's mystery-thriller "IVD"

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Review of Greg Przywara's mystery-thriller "IVD"

Postby MarcStarr » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Jan Whitford of Allbook Reviews:
"Right out of the gate, I gotta say that I really like this author’s style and voice! And you get the feel of it right away when he describes flipping off a driver with a cell phone plastered to his ear in a traffic gridlock, a “fifteen-mile-long phone booth”. Soon after, the rest of the story explodes—non-stop action peppered with a plethora of vivid descriptions mixed with snappy dialogue just bursting with humorous tongue-in-cheek contemporary satire.

Mark, our protagonist, is a lowly grocery clerk. Trapped in a loveless marriage, he’s looking to Crystal (his Taco Bell soul mate) to improve his life. When his old best friend from high school shows up, things look sort of promising but that’s when the bottom drops out because Mark is falsely accused of the double murders of Crystal and his boss. In order to wiggle out of a 75-year prison sentence, he unwittingly becomes enmeshed in the Mafia. As the book jacket describes: “With breathless pacing and heart-pounding action, Greg Przywara’s IVD has twists and turns that bring this bada-bing, exciting novel to an explosive and dramatic ending.” The book jacket also tells us that Mr. Przywara is a writer and food industry worker, living in Wisconsin where he wrote two screenplays and is currently working on his second novel.

Well, by now you’ve probably guessed that I’m recommending this book, especially for readers who love good contemporary dialogue and tons of action. Geez, we even get Mafiosos who’re capable of decapitating the statue of Harry Carey at Wrigley Field for Pete’s sake. And during a real roller coaster ride of non-stop action, we’re treated to a lawyer “full of mechanical regret”, a homicidal school shooter, bullying cops, FBI pests, snarling pit bulls, dramatic fires, exploding DVDs, torrents of bullets, paramedics, silent-but-deadly flattulism, and even an obtuse connection with Al-Quaida. All this, Mr. Przywara deals out skillfully with his original literary style, weaved around ingenious sports allusions, betrayal and ultimately—redemption. Finally, I have a question. We all know that protagonists are good guys, right? That being the case, you think our hero will swab a guy’s eyes permanently open with a Q-tip and Superglue, just to get information? Well, I guess you’ll just have to read the book to find out."

Recommended by reviewer: Jan Evan Whitford, Allbook Reviews http://www.allbookreviews.com

Published by: Eloquent Books, an imprint of AEG Publishing Group. ©2009

ISBN: 978-1-60860-130-1, 1-60860-130-7

Hardcover edition

141 pages

Jan. 2010
For more reviews, video footage of last November's Booked for Murder reading, and ordering info, visit the author's website at http://www.squidoo.com/my-novel-IVD
MarcStarr

Re: Review of Greg Przywara's mystery-thriller "IVD"

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

I laughed, I cried. I chose paper not plastic.

I'm KIDDING! I think it's great that local boy published a book.

ps. you're not foolin' anyone, "MarcStarr"
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Review of Greg Przywara's mystery-thriller "IVD"

Postby peripat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Well- I actually read this & while hardboiled farce isn't exactly my favorite genre I found it enjoyable. Most of the action takes place on the east side- East High, Atwood, Milwaukee St, and DeForest-so there are many local references- and how can you resist a sentence like this:
"Two years of varsity track and another nine chasing shoplifters were woefully inadequate preparation for being pursued by a pack of drug-crazed hell hounds through two miles of dense forest."
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books