MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

ALRC to prohibit bands from drinking at performance venues

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: ALRC to prohibit bands from drinking at performance venues

Postby scratch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 am

juanton wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Glad you're paying attention, Gruter.

:roll:

...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he plays bass =)

-Dan Motor (ahem...another bass player)

Nah, she's one of my favorite bartenders.

I'm willing to give her a break on not reading every post as I like my Jack and Cokes strong.

A break on not reading every post, sure. But not reading a post from BOOKPOLICE?!? Perish the thought.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 am

Well, first of all, scratch, it's THEbookpolice to you, and also--a number of other Forons posted that bands are out of the sights of this proposal. Certainly wasn't just MY post.

I'm just annoyed that Triple M spent so much time misrepresenting the main issue on-air. Now this topic, which is a worthy conversation, gets derailed over and over by people who aren't up to speed and don't try to be.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 am

TheBookPolice wrote:...and also--a number of other Forons posted that bands are out of the sights of this proposal. Certainly wasn't just MY post. I'm just annoyed that Triple M spent so much time misrepreseting the main issue on-air. Now this topic, which is a worthy conversation, gets derailed over and over by people who aren't up to speed and don't try to be.

Well. If a prohibitionist zealot politician said it, then it must be true. People continue to post on here to make damn sure that bands are not included in this proposal. It's just too important to the Madison music scene (and too embarrassing to the City) to just leave it to chance. I guess people aren't up to speed because they don't realize that the amendments were added, voted on, and passed already.

And who knows, maybe something else will shake out of this discussion that may not have arisen otherwise...although discussion-squashing does earn you a merit badge.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:56 am

butters wrote:I guess people aren't up to speed because they don't realize that the amendments were added, voted on, and passed already.

I don't understand this; has 1/20/10 come and gone and I've missed it? Musta been drunk.

I think this proposal is as ham-fisted and ill-advised as the next guy, but calling anyone a "prohibitionist zealot" is a little much, dontcha think?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
butters wrote:I guess people aren't up to speed because they don't realize that the amendments were added, voted on, and passed already.

I don't understand this; has 1/20/10 come and gone and I've missed it? Musta been drunk.

That's exactly my point. It hasn't. You were acting like it has--like it was a done deal.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am

I'm pretty sure all the language I've used has made it clear that I recognize this is still a proposal and not an ordinance but here you go:

Madisonians. Alderman Schumacher has responded to the issue by stating that the language will be modified so that bands and performers will not be affected by this proposal, should it become law. However, please make sure he is aware of your dissatisfaction with the proposal until such time as he issues a public statement pinning himself to a revised position, or the proposal is voted down.

Better?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:47 pm

It is a silly proposal but you have to admit that this is a pretty sweet shot.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/ful ... p?id=56203
(couldn't get the image link to work but its worth a click)

Hot Dog or a litter of Hot Puppies - $.25
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 pm

juanton wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Glad you're paying attention, Gruter.

:roll:

...I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he plays bass =)

-Dan Motor (ahem...another bass player)

Nah, she's one of my favorite bartenders.

I'm willing to give her a break on not reading every post as I like my Jack and Cokes strong.

Whoops! my apologies then, Gruter....for some reason everyone develops a penis in my personal internets avatar-version of them...except for Leaver...

and yes, jack and coke......mmmm mother's milk....

**back on track** It's good to see the Schumacher is rethinking his stance.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:calling anyone a "prohibitionist zealot" is a little much, dontcha think?

I think it accurately describes anyone that would sponsor such a bill. Why else would someone support something like this when laws ALREADY EXIST that prevent drunken bartending?

This bill does not address some urgent problem going on in Madison today. There have not been a rash of complaints, police calls, etc. to bars due to employees drinking and/or being drunk.

This is yet one more way for prohibitionist zealots like Schumacher and the Mayor to chip away at the rights of business owners and hyper regulate them right out of business.

Iagree with the smoking ban, drunk driving laws and pretty much all other regulations on alcohol and places that sell it. But there are adequate laws on the books to address any and every problem, crime, wrongdoing, etc. that comes as a result of alcohol use and abuse.

Problems that exist need to be addressed by enforcing the current laws. Not by creating new redundent restrictions that target people not even causing the problems.

Additional regulations like this and the other ordinance to stop selling "American made" malt liquor in certain quantities are just solutions looking for problems or band-aids that fail to correct any real problem that does exist.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm

eriedasch wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:calling anyone a "prohibitionist zealot" is a little much, dontcha think?

I think it accurately describes anyone that would sponsor such a bill. Why else would someone support something like this when laws ALREADY EXIST that prevent drunken bartending?

I don't disagree with stepping up enforcement of current public safety laws, but...

If proposed new law doesn't further restrict an action, but rather restates an existing law in less transparent terms, I wouldn't call that prohibitionist because nothing new is being outlawed (and let's look past the red herring of the bands' right to drink).

I'd say that just makes Schumacher an idiot.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bill6beers » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm

I notice on the city's website that Ald. Schumacher's name no longer appears as sponsor of this proposal, and that the item will be referred to a subsequent meeting TBA. Madison.com also reports today that he has dropped out as co-sponsor. Mayor Dave is now the sole sponsor.

Thank you to everyone who has worked to make sure the politicos exempt musicians from this folly.

Cheers,
Bill
bill6beers

Postby superman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Brett, a quick update, I decided to withdraw my sponsorship because of the feedback like yours.

While I believe that it is good public policy to prevent licensed bar personnel from being intoxicated on the job, this issue may not be severe enough to dismiss the unintended consequences identified by the many folks who have spoken up against it.

The Mayor's office may continue to work on a reasonable substitute that will exclude performers and other contractors.

Thanks for your comments, Michael
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:05 pm

TheBookPolice wrote: the band issue is pretty much moot.

For now it is. It can be reintroduced once we get this first part passed into law.

People shouldn't be allowed to drink at work, even if they are musicians. That is just plain common sense and if they won't look out for themselves then the city has an obligation to do it for them.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NMK Nate » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote: the band issue is pretty much moot.

For now it is. It can be reintroduced once we get this first part passed into law.

People shouldn't be allowed to drink at work, even if they are musicians. That is just plain common sense and if they won't look out for themselves then the city has an obligation to do it for them.
I think there's a huge difference between drinking at work in a bar, and working in a cubicle.

There's already laws in place regarding bartenders/bouncers being intoxicated, and this law isn't needed at all. The proposal as written only applies to people working in establishments that serve alcohol, which are already covered under current laws.

It isn't against the law for me to drink at work. Frowned upon, absolutely. Likely to get me fired, yes.

Go into any lawyer or politicians office downtown... how much you want to bet they've got a bottle of scotch sitting somewhere behind their desk.

Two different situations, yet drinking at one is considered by many as acceptable.

The proposal in place is an attempt to legislate against something apparently you, and mayor Dave feel to be inappropriate behavior. Whether or not you like me doing something is no reason to try and enact laws to stop me from doing so. If the proposal was meant to keep bartenders from becoming intoxicated and thus in poor judgement serving minors, or serving people who are already too intoxicated for another drink, thats one thing. However it's not, and there's already laws in place for that.
NMK Nate

Postby NMK Nate » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:People shouldn't be allowed to drink at work, even if they are musicians. That is just plain common sense and if they won't look out for themselves then the city has an obligation to do it for them.
Also, how does me or my bandmates drinking at a show effect you or anybody else. I'm pretty sure the fans don't mind since I've had many a fan bring drinks up to the stage. The owners/bar never seems to mind as it keeps us happy.

It's one thing if I get wasted and drive home, but again... Already a law for that.
NMK Nate

Previous

Return to Madison Music