MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Mexico City airport experience?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Mexico City airport experience?

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm going through there next month for the first time and I am dreading it. I have heard stories of huge hours-long customs lines that almost guarantee a missed connection. One person told me that you just have to go to the front of the line and tell them you have to get through or you will miss your flight. I can't do that. That's not how civilization works. I also can't bear the idea of standing in line for hours. Anyone have any better experiences to relate. Worse?

Frankly, I am dreading air travel in general. It's been completely ruined, put on a par with doing your taxes or euthanizing your dog. I would go back to pre-9/11 security measures in a second if I could. Your chances of being on a hijacked plane are probably less than your chances of being in a plane crash. The commandeering of an aircraft is just not going to happen now that people realize it's fight or die. A hidden bomb or chemical attack is the only risk, and a risk I'd gladly take if it meant moving quickly through security, keeping my shoes on, and not getting a fucking X-ray.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mexico City airport experience?

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Thank you for your thoughts. Please remain where you are. The full body scanner and examination team are on their way.

We don't like it when people talk as though the terrorists might have intended to turn our air travel system into exactly what it has become.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 pm

I recently had a connection in Cancun. It was everything you described. I asked an agent if it was a particularly bad day, she responded, "No, it's always like this."
You just gotta get Zen with it. Practice your standing meditation.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 am

I did a quick scan of the forums at FlyerTalk, and they seem to bear out the concerns/experiences expressed here about MEX.

If your time between flights is much less than 3 hours, you may have a rough time.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Dairylander wrote:You just gotta get Zen with it. Practice your standing meditation.

I've noticed that I am much better at that on the way home from the tropics than I am on the way down.

I too think airport security is overbearing, and overly reactive. I've seen all sorts of letters to the editor and person on the street interviews from people saying, yeah, bring it on and do anything, just keep us safe.

Maybe these frightened people should just avoid air travel then.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Travel