MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Brewers sign Wolf, Hawkins

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Brewers sign Wolf, Hawkins

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:25 pm

According to ESPN the Brewers dropped a decent amount of money to sign Randy Wolf and LaTroy Hawkins, $29.75 million and three years for Wolf and $7.5 million and two years for Hawkins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4727757

I think the Wolf signing is definitely worthwhile, but my memories of Hawkins during his years in Chicago are not good. Wolf will certainly go a long way toward shoring up the Brewer's rotation, and I feel he'll help take a lot of pressure off of Gallardo. With Hawkins, I know that a reliever's performance can vary greatly from year to year, but I'll always think of him as a gas can.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brewers sign Wolf, Hawkins

Postby nevermore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:19 pm

As a Cub fan, let me speak for all the Cub, Twin, Giant, Oriole, Rockie, Yankee and Astro fans by saying BAHHH-HAHAHAHAAAA about the LaTroy Hawkins signing.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 am

nevermore wrote:As a Cub fan, let me speak for all the Cub, Twin, Giant, Oriole, Rockie, Yankee and Astro fans by saying BAHHH-HAHAHAHAAAA about the LaTroy Hawkins signing.

That was my initial impression too. I saw a game at Wrigley against the Astros last year where Hawkins came in to pitch the bottom of the 8th. The Cubs were already up 11-4, and maybe it was the Old Style talking but I was certain for another couple of runs. Instead Hawkins struck out the side, which is probably the best pitching performance I can think of at the moment.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 am

As a baseball fan, the idea of Randy Wolf shoring up anything is kind of funny. An improvement over Suppan does not a savior make.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:14 am

He's been good for two years, so considering Wolf's history -- and Melvin's track record with free agent pitching signings -- this will probably be another 30 million down the rabbit hole. Perhaps for once a high dollar free agent pitcher will work out for the Crew, but it would be the first time in a long time.

And giving LaTroy Gopherball $7.5 million is just flat out idiotic. Melvin, didn't you learn anything from Riske? What a waste of money.

Brewers fans better start praying that Bush and Capuano magically are healthy this year, and the Crew finally gets wise enough to get Suckpan out of the damn rotation no matter what. Otherwise unless Melvin starts stockpiling cheap players who will turn it around, it's gonna be another brutal year pitching-wise.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:04 pm

minicat wrote:Brewers fans better start praying.

When did we stop?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking