MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

High speed internet options?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

High speed internet options?

Postby markkay » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am

My Charter cable internet is increasing to $60 per month, as some sort of promotional rate is expiring. (The bastards!) Other than AT&T, which has attractive monthly rates but a large upfront installation fee (the bastards!), what other options are there in town for high speed internet?

I'm not interested in a bundle. I canned Charter cable tv, and am relying on over the air HD, which, unfortunately, has spotty reception, and is almost unwatchable in bad weather. However, I don't waste time watching, say, the Shawshank Redemption for the 15th time, so no tv still seems like a good thing for the time being. I And I don't need a landline phone.

Any recommendations on other companies, or advice on who to avoid?

Thanks!
markkay
Forum Addict

Re: High speed internet options?

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Have you told Charter you are gonna cancel unless they keep you at your current rate? They did it for me in the past.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:24 pm

I'd like to know the same thing. Non-package comparisons.
We've had Charter for years now. About $45 for the 3Mbps (last speed test showed 3.20 download), although that is coupled with expanded basic cable.
I'd like to know how AT&T DSL of a similar speed compares (w/out the U-Verse package). I think it was quoted at $35 for 3.5Mbps. But I don't have any experience with DSL. I know we'd have to get a new modem.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Depending on where you live, that Madison wireless service (what's it called?) might be an option. I've heard quality varies greatly depending on where you're at. Some people have a fantastic experience. For others, it's awful.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm considering switching and my neighbor is trying to sell me on TDS' WiMax. He was sick of Charter and has nothing bad to say about TDS.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:21 am

Peacetrain wrote:Have you told Charter you are gonna cancel unless they keep you at your current rate? They did it for me in the past.

Well, that worked! When you tell the overseas customer service rep that you want to quit, you get transferred to a different department which is much more helpful. I got my old rate back, in exchange for re-upping for 2 years. I'm not that worried about the 2-year contract period, as I've had Charter internet for 3 years with (mostly) no problems. I was thinking about switching to TDS, but they also want a 2-year contract, and I think I'm more comfortable with the devil that I know than the one that I don't. And the TDS speed available at the same price looked like it was slower. As for AT&T, I didn't do exhaustive research, but I think I determined that if all you want is internet, then they won't waive the outrageous installation fee. Could be wrong about that, though.

I also survived the temptation of reinstituting cable tv. I think hulu.com, Bongo video, and the dowtown library should be adequate. Oh, and books. Must read more books.

Thanks for all the advice!

-- Mark
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Better lock into Charter before rates to up and pay for use come into play.
Charter Communications will raise prices, consider consumption-based billing for Internet usage, and upgrade its products to compete with rivals as it exits bankruptcy, CEO Neil Smit told Bloomberg.

That means customers who use more Internet bandwidth -- for example, heavy video users -- will pay more.

http://host.madison.com/ct/business/tec ... 03286.html
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am

Ouch. Pay per use would kill me. I've got the TDS WiMax and I love it - nice and fast and cheap, but I do get an employee discount through my husband.

Edit - the cheapest WiMax option didn't require a contract when I bought it so you can try it out without the commitment. Once I decided I liked it (about a year later), I increased the speed. I'm getting a little less than what I pay for but it's fine.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Paying for the Charter max speed,6 month deal @ $64.99 (norm $75). No TV, no phone, just internet.
Was barely getting 20MB with the old modem, but the new modem = 10MB boost.

I believe this makes Charter the provider with the fastest speed offered in Madison.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:29 pm

jammybastard wrote:I believe this makes Charter the provider with the fastest speed offered in Madison.

Now imagine how nice it would be if we didn't live in a developing country.

Any wonder the French laugh at us?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:26 pm

Okay, so I re-upped with Charter, and switched to one of Charter's combo modem/wireless routers. My Mac mini is wired to the modem and my girlfriend's laptop gets wireless access. (Yeah, I know that renting a modem/router is probably a sucker deal, but we figured we'd try it for a spell, nix the rental and eventually buy a modem/router if things worked out.)

And things did work out for a while. But for the past 2 weekends, webpages refused to load. My computer's self diagnosis told me that my internet connection was a-okay. The Charter main number's important-message-recording told me, however, that service outages were being worked on in my area. However, a live Charter operator told me, essentially, not to believe the recording, ran a test and claimed my modem was fine. She advised me to contact Apple (sure, I'll get right on that). And a few hours later, things are back to normal and my internet connection is hunky dory again.

What the heck is going on? Anybody else have charter internet problems this morning or last weekend?
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:24 pm

fennel wrote:
jammybastard wrote:I believe this makes Charter the provider with the fastest speed offered in Madison.

Now imagine how nice it would be if we didn't live in a developing country.

Any wonder the French laugh at us?

France is slightly smaller than Texas and holds roughly 62 million people, the population of Texas and California combined. If the US only had to wire up Texas for service to about 20% of our population, perhaps France would be entitled to a laugh.

As far as I am concerned, about the only thing France has to feel superior about is how much hotter their First Lady is than ours.

And the French Foreign Legion...those guys are bad dudes.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:09 pm

And both countries have an abiding respect for the right to bare arms.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Here's the future of media distro, all you can eat with a whole world of content to choose from.
Keep your internet connection, kill your tv/cable service.

1. get an account on either one of these services for downloading files that are hosted on their servers:

www.rapidshare.com
www.megaupload.com

2. sign up for a membership to any of these forums, and start perusing the topics for download links:
www.warez-bb.org
www.projectw.org
www.rapid.org
www.katzforums.com/

these are helpful to have as well...

WinRar - www.rarlab.org
internet download manager - www.internetdownloadmanager.com/
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:12 pm

markkay wrote:What the heck is going on? Anybody else have charter internet problems

We've jumped back and forth between Charter and TDS for years, and Charter has always had more problems like the one you describe. Basically, restart your cable modem/router and it will usually fix the issue. We never have the issue with TDS, which is why we're switching back now that we qualify as "new" customers once more.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games