MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Batch Bakery

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Batch Bakery

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:52 am

Bad Gradger wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:What places that bill such an item by the French name have failed your test?

Nowhere in Madison, thankfully. Although I'm nowhere near the foodie you are, there are a few things I get snobby on; I figure if they care enough to pronounce it right they care enough to make it right.

I'm a stickler on jus/au jus, but I try to keep it from affecting how I feel about the food--just the manager/owner.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Coffee was available, but I didn't see the provenance.

That's not very surprising!
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby lilyrosemary » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

Intelligensia coffee, which I think is from Chicago. This place ROCKS, unfortunately for my ass, fitting into pants-wise.
lilyrosemary

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm

lilyrosemary wrote:Intelligensia coffee, which I think is from Chicago.

It is, and it is. I didn't see any Intelligentsia logos when I went the first time, but there are some in there now. Adam, not really sure what your comment meant.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 am

Stopped in there this morning to get some stuff to share with co-workers. Absolutely awesome. Gingerbread muffins with a lemon glaze, currant scones, blueberry muffins, some kind of oatmeal-raspberry-chocolate bar. Breads look very good, I’ll go back to try those.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

A sticky bun is not a "morning bun"

Postby kulgar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:17 pm

With apologies to Dudemeister, what Batch is selling labelled "morning bun" is a sticky bun. It's too sweet and covered in pecans and only formed like a morning bun. It doesn't come in sugared and unsugared like just down the street at Lazy Jane's and it's not made of croissant dough like both Lazy Jane's and La Brioche. It is a great sticky bun rolled and baked like a morning bun, it's just not a classic Ovens of Brittany (where both the owners of La Brioche and Lazy Jane's, and seemingly thousands of others, started their careers) morning bun.

By conservative estimate I've eaten over 300 glaucoma inducing morning buns and sampled dozens of imitations (some of which are loved by their consumers) and I've been doing it ever since the Ovens opened on State back in the mid 70s. The mislabelled sticky bun is good, but it's mislabelled.

The coffee at 9:30AM today was bitter, awful vile stuff, but I think it was just old.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Glaucoma-inducing? Hmmm, did you get cinnamon in your eye or something?

Or did you forget to wake and bake before you went? Is that what the glaucoma reference is all about?

I hope that not calling a delectable piece of bakery goodness by the name that YOU prefer will not deter real bakery lovers from stopping in at Batch. Copps has morning buns as you define them, but I'd much rather have what Batch calls a morning bun ANY day that they are open.

Or anything else that is sitting warm on a rack, waiting to make its consumer very happy.

And I make my coffee at home and bring it with me. I'm never disappointed that way, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Copps Croissants?

Postby kulgar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm

The point is that many consumers in Madison, especially those who shop two blocks down at Lazy Jane's, have a well defined expectation of what a "morning bun" is and what a sticky bun is. To repeat, Batch Bakery has a great sticky bun, it's just not a "morning bun" by Madison standards. It's not my personal definition, it's been defined locally by bakers ever since the Ovens opened in the 70s. Even those turned out by LaBrioche's wholesale business weren't that good because they went slightly off in the ten hours between baking and consumption. The bar is set really high in this community for this product.

Compare to the "Chicago hotdog", there's a clear expectation that it's not made out of pig parts and covered in ketchup and pecans. Using marketing to sell a product that's not what it is called or expected by an informed consumer is deceptive. You may like an Oscar Mayer hotdog but shouldn't expect one when buying a "Chicago style" hotdog.

Copps sells croissants and their morning buns are made out of croissant dough? Crap, now I've got to hunt down a Copps early some morning and try their morning buns. The quest continues....but I'm positive without tasting that I agree that Batch has a superior product to anything turned out by Copps.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm

kulgar wrote:The point is that many consumers in Madison, especially those who shop two blocks down at Lazy Jane's, have a well defined expectation of what a "morning bun" is and what a sticky bun is. To repeat, Batch Bakery has a great sticky bun, it's just not a "morning bun" by Madison standards.

Kulgar, dude, I don't even understand what you're saying anymore. You've moved into some sort of bun theoretic domain that is way beyond most of us.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 am

dudemeister wrote:
kulgar wrote:The point is that many consumers in Madison, especially those who shop two blocks down at Lazy Jane's, have a well defined expectation of what a "morning bun" is and what a sticky bun is. To repeat, Batch Bakery has a great sticky bun, it's just not a "morning bun" by Madison standards.

Kulgar, dude, I don't even understand what you're saying anymore. You've moved into some sort of bun theoretic domain that is way beyond most of us.

On the other hand, next semester I am leading a graduate seminar in "The Semiotics of Baked Goods" through UW's Department of Linguistics.

Let me tell ya, my lecture on "The Sexual Ecology of Kringle" has them on the edge of their seats.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

The Sexual Ecology of Kringle

Postby kulgar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 am

(With apologies to Lane's on Park St) the only place to buy kringle this side of Copenhagen is Bendtsen's in Racine. Take the class on a field trip.

3200 Washington Ave.
Racine, WI 53405

Try Larsen's across the street and you'll instantly taste the difference.

I'm into pastry and anyone who think that frozen glop from O&H is kringle, has not consumed the real stuff. Found a Copp's, now to schedule a tasting of their "morning bun".
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby feh23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:26 pm

dudemeister wrote:

But not those of us who remember, and miss, the morning buns of Ovens. What are your thoughts on Manna Cafe's morning buns? I like them, but I'm not really all that picky about my baked goods.
feh23

Re: The Sexual Ecology of Kringle

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:28 pm

kulgar wrote:(With apologies to Lane's on Park St) the only place to buy kringle this side of Copenhagen is Bendtsen's in Racine. Take the class on a field trip.

3200 Washington Ave.
Racine, WI 53405

Try Larsen's across the street and you'll instantly taste the difference.

I'm into pastry and anyone who think that frozen glop from O&H is kringle, has not consumed the real stuff. Found a Copp's, now to schedule a tasting of their "morning bun".

Have to disagree. I grew up on this and I think it's the best.

http://www.kringle.com/
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Far afield, this batch of posts is now on kringle

Postby kulgar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Any time I see advertising for a food product, especially pastry, that says, "maybe frozen 5 to 6 months" I don't know if they mean it has been frozen or it will taste the same after six months of deep freeze.

They ship this stuff by the trailerload as a wholesaler, offer 26 varieties, and are relatively new to the industry, only 27 years of operation. I'll give my friend Sorenson a call and try to sample them the next time I make a kringle run, but I'm skeptical that breadth of offering and volume equals quality.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Re: Far afield, this batch of posts is now on kringle

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:21 pm

kulgar wrote:They ship this stuff by the trailerload as a wholesaler, offer 26 varieties, and are relatively new to the industry, only 27 years of operation. I'll give my friend Sorenson a call and try to sample them the next time I make a kringle run, but I'm skeptical that breadth of offering and volume equals quality.

Does he know Bob Sacamano?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews