MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Since when is Best Buy a guitar store

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Since when is Best Buy a guitar store

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Best Buy has long carried crappy keyboards and maybe crappy guitars, I forget, but wandering the west side store last night I was surprised to find a full-blown music department in the back, complete with pricey Strats, DJ equipment I don't understand, fancy digital pianos and the requisite doofus shredder. Erm, that's new.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Since when is Best Buy a guitar store

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:27 pm

They started this maybe 4 or 5 years ago in some test markets and it must have taken off. I dunno. I guess it makes a little sense but are you able to haggle with a Best Buy salesperson over a guitar? Doesn't seem like you can. In their defense though the one time I went back in that area there was someone doing a setup on a guitar. Something I have NEVER seen at Guitar Center. Pretty soon there will be only one store. Only one bank, only one insurance company. We will pay taxes to Pepsi and sing the "I'm Lovin' It" tune from the McDonalds commercials instead of the national anthem at baseball games which will then be known as "Toyota Tundra Marketing Analysis Synergy Expos".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:requisite doofus shredder.

I should have said requisite shredder doofus. Though most guitar stores could use a doofus shredder.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:01 pm

I think they started that here a year or two ago.

My friend's kid told me about the high-end guitars they sold there. My only response was, "yeah, sure."

They've got some decent stuff there. I usually buy my stuff online, but I'll take Best Buy over the choads at The Guitar Center any day.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jeribelle » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:40 pm

I bought an amp there not too long ago. I had a gift card and didn't really need any more DVDs. It was like a mini Guitar Center. I liked being able to check out the inventory online before going in so I didn't have to shop in the traditional sense of browsing the aisles or depending on a salesperson's knowledge.
Jeribelle
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Huh, always the last to know. I'm new to living on the west side so I'm bracing myself for more surprises.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nate535 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:29 pm

I think it's been in this market a little over a year (since last August i think.) I used to know a guy who worked there who told me they don't work on commission and they have some room to move on price. The sales staff is about useful as what guitar center has to offer. I went in one day looking for a specific cable and the guy tried to sell me a monster cable. When I told him I wasn't really fond of the monster cables he replied "Is it because you don't like the lifetime warranty?" The sales goon was shocked when I told him it was because I don't like overpriced cables that are prone to breaking.
Nate535
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:36 am

Nate535 wrote:I went in one day looking for a specific cable and the guy tried to sell me a monster cable. When I told him I wasn't really fond of the monster cables he replied "Is it because you don't like the lifetime warranty?" The sales goon was shocked when I told him it was because I don't like overpriced cables that are prone to breaking.

A friend who worked briefly at Best Buy (for the discount, natch) actually got written up for not pushing Monster cables hard enough.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 am

The Monster cables I bought in 1986 when a salesman pushed them on me, an apple-cheeked 15-year-old, are still holding up pretty well. But I wouldn't call myself a loyalist.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:07 am

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:23 pm

juanton wrote:Fuck Monster Cable.

Uh, history? The Chicago Bears have been known as Monsters of the Midway for way longer than Monster Cable has been around. They've got some tires on 'em going after the Bears. The team ought to send some "representatives" to the Monster Cable headquarters.
Do they really expect to own the exclusive rights to the word "monster"? Cuz that's just ridiculous. It makes me want to start a band with that in the title. We could be 'Monster Fable' and sing songs about evil corporate giants ...

At Best Buy, can I purchase a bass amp that looks like a dishwasher?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Silas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:31 pm

supaunknown wrote:Do they really expect to own the exclusive rights to the word "monster"?

Yes they do.

They've gone after all kinds of stuff.

At Best Buy, can I purchase a bass amp that looks like a dishwasher?

Part of the Geddy Lee line I assume.

Silas

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Nate535 wrote:I went in one day looking for a specific cable and the guy tried to sell me a monster cable. When I told him I wasn't really fond of the monster cables he replied "Is it because you don't like the lifetime warranty?" The sales goon was shocked when I told him it was because I don't like overpriced cables that are prone to breaking.

A friend who worked briefly at Best Buy (for the discount, natch) actually got written up for not pushing Monster cables hard enough.

I'm embarrassed to say that I was an employee of Best Buy in a previous life.

We were also threatened with write-ups and termination if we didn't push extended warranties and accessories.

Asst. Manager: We need you so sell X number of PSPs (warranties) by the end of the month.

HeyZeus: So, you're giving me a quota.

Asst. Manager: No, it's not a quota, we expect you to sell X number by the end of the month or you're terminated.

HeyZeus: Sounds like a quota.

Asst. Manager: It's not a quota, it's just a goal.

Loved the discount. Hated the company.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Wow. That might explain why on Monday the Best Buy cashier looked disappointed verging on terrified when I declined an extended warranty after her long impassioned speech about it. Too bad, but those things are a ripoff.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 pm

"Extended warranty! How can I lose?" ~ Mr. Homer Simpson

That crap is infuriating to deal with at a workplace. I used to work at a bank branch in a grocery store, and they made us wander the aisles of the store "educating" shoppers about the accounts & services we offer, all because the head office was too dense to realize it was asinine to hold the dinky grocery store branch to the same standards as a standard bank branch. Really, who wants to be hassled by some jerk about CD rates when all you want to do is grab some groceries and get home?

bank: "Get out there and aisle sell!"
me: "No! I'm gonna pretend to aisle sell, and hang out by the lobster tank!"
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music