MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

The new Jay Leno show: painful to watch

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: The new Jay Leno show: painful to watch

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Jay Leno will bring in more viewers than Kings. There are buttloads of Americans who find Jay he-larious. These people also tend to go to bed very early (hint hint). That's why NBC is giving up on several hours a week of original programming, this is easier. Just like intelligence-insulting reality shows are easier.

I think Kings would do better on a cable network like SyFy or FX, but I have to admit I thought it was a bit boring when I watched it. I am looking forward to testing out Community, V and Flash Forward on network this Fall. Love my DVR. I also watch Lost, Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock, the Office and recently Glee. Most of my non-sports TV viewing is on cable networks where everything seems to be better. Grooving on Mad Men and True Blood, just finished Weeds, Entourage and Rescue Me (all 3 getting a bit old but still better than most shows out there), especially psyched for the return of Dexter, Californication, Always Sunny, Breaking Bad, and Curb, and very intrigued about this: http://www.hbo.com/boredtodeath/
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Dave is way better that Jay. You never saw Drew Barrymore flash her breastesses at Jay Leno.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:59 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Jay Leno will bring in more viewers than Kings. There are buttloads of Americans who find Jay

You could have stopped there.

If NBC had A) marketed Kings honestly, intelligently, and consistently, and B) not moved it to a total of three different slots over the course of its short life, viewers would have figured out. At least enough that SyFy would take a shot on it post-NBC (something I've been advocating for since week three when it was clear NBC wouldn't give it mouth-to-mouth if there was bacon in there).

Leno's a known commodity, with a well-publicized slot. He's been given everything that NBC wouldn't give Kings. It's no shock it didn't draw in viewers.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm

King was heavily advertised for weeks and no one watched it. I don't remember it being moved until it was struggling already and they were dumping episodes during summer months knowing it was canceled.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 pm

If an excellent show is criminally screwed by the network (a la Arrested Development or Freaks and Geeks) for something like Jay Leno, I'm 100% with you. Not sure Kings is on that level, this viewer wasn't intrigued enough to keep watching after 2 episodes. Maybe I should give it another chance.

2nd point being that the networks rarely do much with original programming if it doesn't take off right away. Sometimes, if critics are extremely kind and smallish audiences are diehard, they persist--but many new shows get shuffled all over the schedule and are poorly promoted. If Kings has an audience and its as good as you say, someone will pick it up. And my guess is that would be a cable network. Was SyFy ever in the discussion?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Kings was heavily advertised as The O.C. meets King Arthur's Round Table. That bears no resemblance to the show that was actually put on the air, but by the time that was apparent to the few who watched, the ones who really needed to be convinced had already been convinced it was something they didn't want to watch.

I am not alone in this assessment; Kings was mishandled on a grand scale. Its content might not be for everyone, but its quality was undeniable and NBC gave up on it almost from the start. Shows like LOST push through "bad" ratings years because the network has confidence in the producers and in the audience. NBC never showed that it had that confidence in Kings.

SyFy probably won't pick it up because the ratings were so bad. Plus, Caprica seems to run along the same lines as Kings, and wouldn't you know it, the early advertising is as muddled as the Kings promos were. They're almost identical.

If there's a network with no faith in the American TV viewer, and a shitty opinion of said viewer, it's NBC.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV