MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Got a kindle?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Got a kindle?

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:58 am

Do you own a "Kindle"? Ever tried one?

I simply can't imagine why I would ever want to own one. Even before the recent flap over Amazon deleting books on people's machines, and putting arbitrary limits on the number of times people can download a book that they bought ... The whole thing just seemed stupid to me from the get-go.

Disagree? Convince me that I'm wrong!
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

You knew this was coming...

Postby Marvell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:21 am

I live my life like a kindle in the wind.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Got a kindle?

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 am

The kindle's not that heavy, right, but it also doesn't have much cross-sectional area ... I'd expect you'd need a pretty high-speed wind to pick it up. Maybe you live your life like a kindle in the wind on top of Mount Washington?
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuantumWeaver » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 am

I've had one for several months now and I like it. I find it easier to lug around and I seem to read much faster on it as well.

It's not for everyone, but it works for me.
QuantumWeaver

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:58 am

QuantumWeaver wrote:I seem to read much faster on it as well.

Seriously? How does that work?

I'm a pretty fast reader with old-fashioned paper books. It's hard to see how it would be faster on a screen.

Do your eyes get tired?

Also, does the kindle support graphics (photos, charts, etc?) in books?
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:18 am

Got my mother one not too long ago. I can see why it would be easier to read as you can use a custom font size. Allegedly, the 40-60 year olds are the ones buying this the most. The screen is really nice - no eye strain at all. It kind of reminds me of a sophisticated etch-a-sketch. Beautiful to see.

It supports graphics to a limited degree. It's all grayscale. There's a built-in "screen saver" with renderings of famous authors, and it looks quite good. It won't be a perfect replica of the book's graphics, obviously, so graphic novels and the like aren't going to be great.

The normal kindle is very portable and will fit in most women's purses. It's pencil thin and about the size of a small notepad in terms of width and length.

I haven't followed updates about the issues from the OP but the deleted books were, as I understood it, due to copyright infringement issues. I haven't heard about the download limit...

For my mom, it's actually faster than her home internet service since it uses Verizon/Sprint's high speed data network. In theory you can check your email on it with the built-in browser, though it's not exactly super easy to do.

There are a lot of reference books built-in. I like that feature.

When my mother showed it to us, all of my friends wanted one almost immediately.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuantumWeaver » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
QuantumWeaver wrote:I seem to read much faster on it as well.

Seriously? How does that work?

I'm a pretty fast reader with old-fashioned paper books. It's hard to see how it would be faster on a screen.

Do your eyes get tired?

Also, does the kindle support graphics (photos, charts, etc?) in books?

I don't know if it's just easier for me to read the screen over a page in a book, if only having on to focus on one page is less distracting for me, or what the deal is.

I haven't really noticed any eye fatigue at all. It's not backlit which usually is what does a lot of folks in.

Believe me, I was skeptical at first because I love the feel of a book. I really took to it though and it's been a good fit for me.
QuantumWeaver

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Yes, I have a Kindle. It was a gift I wouldn't have afforded myself, but I'm pretty damn sold on the thing. The 1st gen model (which my office bought when it first came out to see if we wanted to sell books in the format) was clunky as hell which made it feel like a bit of a novelty. Although the underlying technology is largely unchanged, the 2nd gen's UI is pure poetry by comparison. It's really true that once you start reading on the thing the technology becomes totally transparent.

I sometimes feel like I should be wearing an "Ask me about my Kindle!" button or something when I'm reading the thing over lunch or at the doctor's office or whatever.

"What's that device that guy's holding? It's like an oversize Palm or something but ... but he's reading it! Freak! Freak!"

Yeah, I get it. It's just fine for you to walk down the street chattering like a doofus at the top of your lungs with a miniature MRI machine penetrating your ego bucket like some kind of space aged auditory pocket rocket ... but gawd forbid some jackass like me try to get a quiet couple of minutes to actually flex his synapses.

Yeah, I know they don't flex. Cram it, Phone Boy.

I don't even know who I'm addressing in this post anymore. I just find it depressing that this particular board sees less action than the captain of the high school chess team ever since Blunt flew the coop. Or is that co-op?

Heh.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 pm

My wife has one and likes it. I also like ebooks for the convenience but prefer to carry just one gadget so I've got a Droid. I prefer hard copy books but like having a book handy any time I've got a few minutes to kill, plus a dictionary. My wife would rather have a dedicated gadget for every task.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books