MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Fishy Sonic review

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Fishy Sonic review

Postby juanton » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:57 pm

dave esmond wrote:Makes the story even stupider.

Not possible.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Please google "fish sandwich sonic" and look at the 4th link. In Linda's defense, it appears to have been discontinued; I believe that is an old menu, Dave.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 pm

O.J. wrote:Please google "fish sandwich sonic" and look at the 4th link. In Linda's defense, it appears to have been discontinued; I believe that is an old menu, Dave.

Noted. Deleted.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:02 pm

Sonic:
LindaF wrote: I didn't go to Sonic intending to write about it at all. But once I was there, I really wanted to raise the question: how hard would it be to have some meatless options on the menu? Even a fish sandwich? Which would still fit into the drive-in cuisine/mode.

The Bayou
LindaF wrote: I didn't go there intending to write a post, but it seemed interesting enough once there to warrant a "hey this place is finally open here's what's on the menu" post, which seems to me to be one of the advantages of the web -- not everything has to be a Full Fledged Article.

I'm picking up on a trend here, Linda. Why don't you simply put more thought into your writing instead of inflicting us with your vacuous thoughts on food here. As I stated before, just because the internet concentrates the time between conception and execution doesn't mean the thought and effort that goes into a piece warrants less rigor.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:55 pm

The article has been re-categorized from "restaurant reviews" to "food and drink" per the author's stated intent. This makes more sense, although given what she writes it might be better to call her pieces "Linda's Food Blog," "Stuff That Occurred To Me While Dining Out," or something similar.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Coupled with the curiously positive review of Bunky's wherein half of the items sampled were described in very negative terms, I am confused as to WTF is going on.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Yeah, that review was a bust. For one Linda prefaces the article by stating she doesn't even really like burgers and goes to, what is essentially, a burger joint (albeit one with an over-inflated menu).
And fish sandwiches are far from "health food" when you're talking about fast food fish sandwiches. The McDonalds Fish-Filet has like double the fat of a cheeseburger.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 pm

MadMind wrote:Yeah, that review was a bust. For one Linda prefaces the article by stating she doesn't even really like burgers and goes to, what is essentially, a burger joint (albeit one with an over-inflated menu).
And fish sandwiches are far from "health food" when you're talking about fast food fish sandwiches. The McDonalds Fish-Filet has like double the fat of a cheeseburger.

Filet-o-Fish = 18g
Cheeseburger = 12g
Not quite.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 pm

I went to a lobster pound the other day and ordered prime rib. It took me 45 minutes to get the proprietor's boot out of my ass.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hojicha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Does this pointless review of Sonic really surprise anyone when the Isthmus recently posted a "Eating ideas for when the weather turns warm" list that included a French Toast bagel at Einstein's? Call me crazy but when the weather gets hot I think of a mango smoothie and coconut shrimp at...say...Cafe Costa Rica, or maybe a Banh mi sandwich at Mermaid Cafe. I do not think of blueberry muffins at the co-op or bagels at a chain restaurant. C'mon, Isthmus. Can't you do a little better than that? Plus, I might add that Panera has been making a French Toast bagel for some time now. I think it was over a year ago, which is probably the last time I ate there. Support your local joints, like Gotham. Best bagels in town if you ask me!
hojicha

Postby towanda » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:07 pm

LindaF wrote: I didn't go to Sonic intending to write about it at all. But once I was there, I really wanted to raise the question: how hard would it be to have some meatless options on the menu? Even a fish sandwich? Which would still fit into the drive-in cuisine/mode.

Sigh.

Fish IS meat, regardless of what a bunch of gluttonous medieval monks decided they wanted to eat on Fridays. But it would be nice to see more fast-food joints in general carry veggie burgers and/or not-dogs.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby gravyboat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Linda Falkenstein is-hands-down-the worst food critic I've ever had the misfortune to read. I can't decide which is worse...her latest journalistic abortion targeted at Sonic or her review of Habanero's. If you haven't a clue about the concept of a taqueria, you have no business being a food critic.
gravyboat

Postby Walter » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:51 am

I went to Sonic last week. I thought the place was a drive-in, not some place you drove to and got your food dropped off to you.

Let me explain: I remember drive-in as a place where you parked your car, had a car-hop take your order, deliver it to you on the tray which went on your window, and then you called the car-hop when you were done and left after the tray, on which you left a tip, was removed.

Sonic's version is pull in, push a button and someone takes your order through the squawk box under the menu. If I wanted that I would have gone to a drive-through.

While you are ordering, you are constantly interrupted as the order taker follows the cash register script as they enter what you are ordering. Since you are not face-to-face, you talk over each other because neither of you know when the other is about to talk. It's like having an argument even though no one is in disagreement.

When the food comes, it's on the tray that mounts on the window. OK, now we're getting somewhere! But, no, we're not.

The car-hop puts it on the window and hands the food in a bag into the car, takes the money and gives you change, then leaves immediately with the tray. If the food is all in a bag and there's no tray, it appears to me that Sonic wants you to leave now. Is this not what happens at a drive-through? Did I get the wrong impression?

How do you tip someone who doesn't wait on you? The carhops were running when I was there and it sure looks like they were working for tips, until they chuck your order in the window and beat it.

The food wasn't bad but the attraction is that it is supposed to be a drive-in, right?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:47 am

If you're looking for the true drive-in experience, there's still a pristine A&W in Dodgeville, complete with push-button ordering and car-window delivery.

I recommend a Papa burger, corn dog (comfort food, ok? gimme some slack) and large root beer.

Thankfully the food tray doesn't hang on your window anymore, so you can keep most of the mosquito horde at bay while jamming your own tunes and dropping fries that might get discovered in a year or five.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanderlust » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:55 pm

The title of the piece is what got me "Sonic...is a bust". Thinking I was going to read about how the economy was taking its toll on this new venture, I instead got to read about someone's complaint about an incomplete menu and oversized drinks. The restaurant deserves a credible review as a follow-up.
Wanderlust

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews