MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

iPhone and ATT

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: iPhone and ATT

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Shipley wrote:I don't know how they could make it easier honestly.

24 seconds of your life. less than the time it took you to rebutt my post.

I already explained how it could be easier. Either it could turn itself off when a device was not in range, or it could allow me to create a macro to turn the damn thing off.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:33 pm

Beer Moon wrote:4 taps x4 times per day.

And Apple recommends you turn them off when you're not using them to improve battery life.

They recommend turning it off if you don't use it. If you use it, you should leave it on and just turn off the "feature" where it asks you to join every tom, dick, and harry wifi network that you've never used.

I really doubt this has a big impact on battery life. 3G network usage is going to be a much bigger hit. Location services, and things that keep the screen on (e.g. games) are going to be big hits too.

If it turned itself off when not in range how it would it know to turn itself back on?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Beer Moon wrote:
TAsunder wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:How do you get around seeing through massive glare on a high-gloss surface with any direct lighting reflecting off of it? Do you deny that glossy screens reflect light?

You can get screen protectors with a matte finish that will eliminate this issue.

I will look into this. Thanks.

I recommend this one.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 pm

4 taps x4 times per day.

And Apple recommends you turn them off when you're not using them to improve battery life.

I turn it off when It get into work so I can browse all the sites we restrict internally. I turn it back on when I walk in the door. Why you would have to constantly turn it on and off is beyond me. About battery life. It gets me from breakfast to bed. I can charge it in my car with a standard iPod charger I got for all of 57 cents on Amazon and at my desk through my computer and about 12 different places at home. It's never been a problem. Again what out there is blowing this away right now? The Pre doesn't last as long as the iPhone. And it's screen while not as glossy does scratch and crack at 10 times the rate of the iPhone. Read around. People are on their 3rd and 4th Pre already. I had high hopes for it it's Palm's last real shot at staying in business. But they came out with cheap hardware and software that wasn't quite ready to compete. They thought they were clever releasing it two weeks before the Mac conference where everyone knew there would be at least a new OS for the iPhone thereby destroying any and all time in the spotlight they would have had. Not to mention Sprint. I understand they are cheaper. I understand in some markets their service is quite usable but here in Madison WI that's not the case. They are a distant 4th in coverage here. If we had t-moblie they'd probably be 5th. I think your expectations were a little off and I question your decision to go ahead and buy the old version two weeks before the new version. Doesn't sound like you gave the thing much of a chance. 2 years since I bought V1 and I'm a happy customer.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
It is hooked directly into my stereo using a USB plug and the proprietary Apple charging cord. You fail to understand the cause of the problem.

Then you have shitty car speakers with poor shielding.

Car speakers don't have shielding (nor do most speakers). Anyway, this is sort of a minor annoyance, because I never expected the iPhone to be a high performance audio device. I thought I had found a way around their limited codec support, but I guess not.

I will continue to manually transfer my music to my 32GB memory stick in my car. No biggie. I don't do it that often.

Also, the lack of full Bluetooth support kinda sucks. Again, I knew this going in - but didn't realize how much I would still care.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Also, the lack of full Bluetooth support kinda sucks.

Haven't had any reason to use it so I'll take your word for it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:01 pm

What do you mean by "full Bluetooth support"? It does support A2DP now.

My car speakers do have shielding, though my home speakers don't. Or, at least, I've never had any GSM interference in the car whereas I do with basically every other speaker. Not sure if stock car speakers are shielded, though.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 pm

TAsunder wrote:Not sure if stock car speakers are shielded, though.

I'll be damned. Never even thought about that.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:33 pm

I have a really funny joke for you all.

Beer Moon walks into a thread about Apple products. Everyone else runs out.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Also, the lack of full Bluetooth support kinda sucks.

Syncing via USB can take long enough with an 8GB iPhone, blue tooth would be unbearable.

also, it would probably drain your battery more than turning on wifi 4 times a day.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Syncing via USB can take long enough with an 8GB iPhone, blue tooth would be unbearable.

That has gotten faster with every single software update. But yes Bluetooth is highly overrated for this particular use. The only thing I could using Bluetooth for was if there were and app that could say work as an input device for the PS3. I refuse to ever own or wear a douchy earpiece.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:15 pm

TAsunder wrote:What do you mean by "full Bluetooth support"? It does support A2DP now.

My car speakers do have shielding, though my home speakers don't. Or, at least, I've never had any GSM interference in the car whereas I do with basically every other speaker. Not sure if stock car speakers are shielded, though.

No Bluetooth voice dialing is the real stinker for me now. When I get in my car and turn it on, if my iPhone is in range it automatically pairs with the stereo and downloads my entire phone book to the stereo. However, if I want to place a call, I have to use the phone itself to do it. If my phone supported voice dialing, I could just push a button on the stereo and say the name and have it call them. Apple has not implemented this, even though the 3GS now supports voice dialing on the phone itself. Boo.

I only have a couple stock speakers left in the car. I suppose it could be them. I will figure that out later this year when I pick up my Madisound component kit.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Agreed about voice dialing via BT.

Try turning your phone to airplane mode. If the speaker whine goes away then my guess is that it is the GSM interference.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:39 pm

TAsunder wrote:Agreed about voice dialing via BT.

Try turning your phone to airplane mode. If the speaker whine goes away then my guess is that it is the GSM interference.

Yes I'm sure you're right about that. The issue is that the two services I intended to use it for while driving in the car require a 3G connection to function. One streams data over the network to my car from my home computer - like my entire music collection.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:40 pm

And to close the story on the AT&T store - they agreed to upgrade me to the 3GS today - and they finally had one in stock.

I am definitely very happy about that. I can tell it is much snappier in performance opening and using applications.

Restoring now...
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games