MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Your Favorite Clint Eastwood Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Your Favorite Clint Eastwood Movies

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:14 pm

+1 for Escape From Alcatraz (I own the DVD), Every Which Way But Loose, In The Line Of Fire, Eastwood directed Costner starred A Perfect World, the Dirty Harry films, and even Firefox (please anything but Top Gun) which they rarely ever play on TV and even spawned Atari's only Laserdisc based arcade game a year later.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:41 pm

A few more that nobody ever mentions that I really like.

White Hunter Black Heart. Clint playing a John Huston character, trying to shoot both a movie and an elephant, in Africa.

The Eiger Sanction. Clint as a hired assassin on a mountain climbing expedition. I love the European setting and the people sitting on a mountain lodge patio sipping drinks and watching the climbers through telescopes. I love George Kennedy too.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Great chase movie with G. Kennedy again. For years I'd sit in class and fantasize about what might be hidden behind the chalkboard.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:00 am

I finished up with a 5-movie 5-night Dirty Harry marathon.
The character makes the films, but there are certainly better movies out there with Dirty Harry-esque characters.
I think my personal fave may have been Magnum Force, the 2nd in the series where he goes against the band of vigilante traffic cops.
Harry Callahan does seem a bit too much of a bitter old man in the last two Dirty Harry movies (filmed in the eighties), rather than the groovy fluffy-haired rebel he was in the first three.
That and I think the last three movies get bogged down by the 'chick factor'. Harry has to deal with his first female partner in The Enforcer, Sudden Impact centers around the scorned female killer, and lastly the pushy reporter in The Dead Pool.

But yeah, it'd be great to tell your bosses to stick it up their ass, keep your job, and go run around the city playing judge, jury, and executioner and blast all the 'punks and hoods' you want and walk away from it scot-free and with a clean conscience to boot - I WANT THAT!

P.S. I've never understood the appeal of John Wayne. There's a real generational gap there.

narcoleptish wrote:Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Great chase movie with G. Kennedy again. For years I'd sit in class and fantasize about what might be hidden behind the chalkboard.

+1 on Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. That's a good one!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:35 am

MadMind wrote:
That and I think the last three movies get bogged down by the 'chick factor'. , Sudden Impact centers around the scorned female killer, and lastly the pushy reporter in The Dead Pool.

Weren't those two of the ridiculous handful of movies that he somehow felt the need to put the bad acting/average looking/longtime girlfriend Sandra Locke in?

Proof that no man is immune from that period in his life when all people around him were nudging each other behind his back and saying "what the fuck is he thinking?"

She must have had SOME kind of talent.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:15 pm

High Plains Drifter, hands down. It's a goddamn Noh play is what it is. Plus midgets. How can you go wrong?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 am

narcoleptish wrote:Weren't those two of the ridiculous handful of movies that he somehow felt the need to put the bad acting/average looking/longtime girlfriend Sandra Locke in?

She was only in Sudden Impact, that was a different actress in The Dead Pool. Look up Jim Carey's 'music video' scene from The Dead Pool on You Tube. It's hilarious.
Detritus wrote:High Plains Drifter, hands down. It's a goddamn Noh play is what it is. Plus midgets. How can you go wrong?

Yeah, High Plains Drifter is a good one. I love how he gets his drink on, his aggro on, and his lay on all within the first 10 minutes of rolling into town.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:09 pm

O.J. wrote:The Outlaw Josey Wales

I just watched this last night. :lol: at Josey always spittin' chew spit on everything. But what did the dog ever do to you? Jerk!

Also, I'm going to have to retract my +1 for Firefox. That movie is damn long and boring. It only picks up when he finally steals the dang thing and that's like 3/4's through the movie.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadM2nd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 am

Over the past 2 months I've watched;
The Fistful Of Dollars Trilogy (A Fistful Of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and The Ugly) and other westerns; Hang 'Em High, Two Mules For Sister Sara, Joe Kidd, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, and Unforgiven.

The Dirty Harry 5 (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool) and other cop movies; Coogan's Bluff, The Gauntlet, and Tightrope.

World War II films; Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes.

And other films; The Beguiled, Play Misty For Me, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Eiger Sanction, Firefox, and Gran Torino.

I still have Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way But Loose to go and I am done. I'm all Clint'd out.
MadM2nd

Postby babelfish » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 pm

how about favorite scenes...i like the fight between him and Bruce Dern out in the desert...in, i think, Outlaw Josey Wales
babelfish

Postby narcoleptish » Fri May 07, 2010 9:42 am

There's no Gran Torino thread so it's going here:

I just watched 3/4 of it on dvd and turned it off. What was all the talk about? I like Eastwood well enough but I'm tired of the gravel-voiced tough guy. Dirty Harry was great but did we really need....

Dirty Harry as a drill sergeant.
Dirty Harry as a secret service agent.
Dirty Harry as a Charlie Sheen's cop buddy.
Dirty Harry as a boxing trainer.
Dirty Harry as a journalist.
Dirty Harry as an astronaut.
Dirty Harry as a retired autoworker.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 pm

...and my personal favorite, Dirty Harry is a disgruntled Forum member.

Dirty Harry wrote:I know what you're thinking, Ned Flanders. You're thinking "did he put me down five times in that last post, or six?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is the internet, the most powerful communication tool in the word and will be seen by so many other Forum posters, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, Ned Flanders?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies