MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Framing Shops in Madison - Your Recommendations

Theater, Dance, Visual Arts, Music That Doesn't Rawk, Overture issues, etc.

Framing Shops in Madison - Your Recommendations

Postby hintzilla » Tue May 19, 2009 4:04 pm

I have a pretty large collection of screenprints and only have a few framed and up on the walls. The only place I've been to in the Madison area is Hobby Lobby, but only because I keep getting gift cards for holidays and birthdays since my friends and family know that I have a lot of framing to do.

I know that there are a lot of options in the area when it comes to frame shops, but would like some help in deciding where to start going. I've heard good things about Monroe St Framing just through word of mouth, but am having a hard time finding much other information on frame shops as far as ratings and recommendations, so I'm hoping I can get some help here. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
hintzilla

Re: Framing Shops in Madison - Your Recommendations

Postby pds » Tue May 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Lynn's on Odana. They are the greatest. If you have a lot of prints to do, consider taking the framing and matting class at MATC. It's a great skill to pick up. You can really save a lot by doing the framing yourself. Lynn's also sells the supplies to do the framing yourself.
pds

Postby barney » Tue May 19, 2009 7:12 pm

I do like Lynn's for textile pieces, can't say much about them either way for prints. I have my prints done at U Frame It on Johnson. But, both places do very nice work and are quite reasonable.

Avoid Eye Level on Atwood. She wrecked a woven piece I did before I knew about Lynn's. When I picked it up, and noticed it was basically trashed, she said, "I don't really have much experience with textile stretching."
Yeah, shouldn't you have told me this when I dropped it off?
Ugh.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:08 pm

I used to do framing. Are you framing just to get them up? Are you going to mat them? Do you mean to preserve them? U-Frame-It is probably the cheapest. The material (wood, metal or plastic) will also affect price.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 pm

I've had framing done at two places:

Eye Level Framing on Winnebago Street.
Super nice, great work, expensive.

The Great Frame Up on Watts Road.
Super nice, great work, not as expensive.

The Great Frame Up usually has coupons in those Common Sense (type) magazines.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hintzilla » Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 am

Bwis53 wrote:I used to do framing. Are you framing just to get them up? Are you going to mat them? Do you mean to preserve them? U-Frame-It is probably the cheapest. The material (wood, metal or plastic) will also affect price.

For most of the prints I have, I just want to get them up. There are a few that I'll frame more elaborately, but for the most part, I'll be sticking to a simple black frame and single mat.

I actually went to Lynn's last night based on these recommendations and was really pleased. I'm framing a giclee for my girlfriend's birthday and wanted something special, and I think it's going to turn out great. The women there were a big help and extremely friendly, so I'll definitely be back there for my more ornate framing jobs. But for the majority of the 20 or so prints I have stacked under my bed, I'm just looking to get up on the walls for cheap, so I'll give U-Frame-It a shot for those.
hintzilla

Postby Thusnelda » Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 am

Does Lynn's do more complicated things like custom three-opening deals with weird sizes and depths? (Not huge, but for something like two diplomas and a tassel.)
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hintzilla » Wed May 20, 2009 1:59 pm

Thusnelda wrote:Does Lynn's do more complicated things like custom three-opening deals with weird sizes and depths? (Not huge, but for something like two diplomas and a tassel.)

From the information listed on their website, it looks like the might do that kind of stuff:
http://lynnsofmadison.com/pictureframing.html
hintzilla

Postby pds » Wed May 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Thusnelda wrote:Does Lynn's do more complicated things like custom three-opening deals with weird sizes and depths? (Not huge, but for something like two diplomas and a tassel.)

They do. Even though I normally cut my own mats at home, I had them cut an oval opening for me once. They measured the custom oval I needed and cut it perfectly. I've also seen them do items similar to what you need.
pds

Postby JolieAng » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi guys and gals! I'm new to the area so I was thrilled to find a forum all about it. My husband and I just bought a house bigger than our last one so we need to fill the walls. I was thrilled to hear of Lynn's. I love a local feeling shop.
JolieAng

Postby Bribri3 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:15 pm

I have always had great experiences with Creative Expressions. They are VERY knowledgeable and nice to work with! They used to be on the Beltline, but moved recently over to Whitney Way. Irene is who I've worked with and she knows her stuff. :thumbup:

I had brought in some art that had been framed elsewhere (HL) the mount had slipped so my art was a-kilter. Creative Expressions was able to fix the mistake and update my materials to conservation. I now take all my pieces to them! :thumbup:

I am pretty sure they do all sorts of framing jobs. I have friends who have brought in baptismal gowns or jerseys, so I know they can do those kinds of things.
Bribri3

Postby Bribri3 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Oh - I forgot - Creative Expressions is a locally owned shop! It is run by a mother-daughter team. Pretty cool - you don't see that very much anymore!
Bribri3

Return to The Arts