MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Amber, you dirty minx

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Amber, you dirty minx

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm

This thread got me thinking about the amber beers that I enjoy and how Abita is not one of them. So, what are some of your favorite amber beers?

1. Capital Amber
2. Bell's Amber
3. Fat Tire (New Belgium)
4. Ambergeddon (Ale Asylum)
5. Cinder Cone Red Ale (Deschutes)
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Re: Amber, you dirty minx

Postby wallrock » Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Never tried the Deschutes, but I'd agree with your first four wholeheartedly. I'm real happy that Fat Tire will be distributed in WI soon.

I'd also toss on Lakefront's Stein (a Vienna lager but still amber) and Harbor City's Mile Rock. I liked Keweenaw's Red Jacket Amber Ale at the Great Taste last year, and I found six packs (in cans!) at the Northport liquor store last fall.

Ambers seem to always be my go-to option for a beer. There really aren't any styles that I actively avoid (aside from American light lagers) but amber ales & lagers generally are good, solid choices. The style isn't one to blow you away, but there's less of the hit & miss associated with the more extreme brews.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Thu May 07, 2009 3:19 pm

wallrock wrote:I'm real happy that Fat Tire will be distributed in WI soon.

Here now if you can stand only being able to get it in a 22 oz. "bomber." Star's got a display up, as does Jenifer St. Market.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 07, 2009 3:27 pm

It's on tap in Madison now too. I like their Blue Paddle and 1554 as well. One of the few breweries who get their European style recipes extremely accurate.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu May 07, 2009 3:29 pm

wallrock wrote:Ambers seem to always be my go-to option for a beer. There really aren't any styles that I actively avoid (aside from American light lagers) but amber ales & lagers generally are good, solid choices. The style isn't one to blow you away, but there's less of the hit & miss associated with the more extreme brews.

I totally agree. I think the bastardization of IPA or APA's, for example, is an abomination unto the lords of beer. I don't believe the challenge of brewing is found in seeing how much of one ingredient you can plug into a glass, like adding hops until the glass smells like a farm. Instead, I appreciate brewers who can refine the "essence" of a beer and bring forth nuances, subtle or not-so-subtle (that sounds ridiculously esoteric, but hopefully you know what I mean). To those ends, it seems amber beers really provide a good context for experimentation without all the needed agitation some brewers seek to reek on innocent mash. For my money, kicking back with a Capital Amber -- in aluminum no less -- represents pure enjoyment.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby hi, i'm new here » Thu May 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Sprecher Amber is one of my favorites. It's an amber lager, and the 16 oz bottles are tasty year-round. Not sure how many of the others on your list are lagers.
hi, i'm new here

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu May 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Yah, Sprecher!
Dammit, I quit drinking.
You know what I really miss? Drinking.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Fat Tire and 1554 in bombers at Star on Willy. No Blue Paddle yet.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Capital Amber is the number 1 amber. You are correct when you mention that the cans are always the freshest. I have tested enough to have had old tap beer and some old bottles in low turnover venues that were disappointing. Still, it's the best I've found. Drink it at or just below room temperature to enjoy is true flavor the most. Beer has basically the same ingredients as bread--so the fresher the better. Capital has almost all the beers I prefer most. In order, Autumnal Fire, Blond Dopplebock, Wild Rice, and Capital Amber. I know some people will think its not worth drinking, but if you see a Miller sign in a new bar, you can at least get a Leinie's Red. Better than some undrinkable yellow swill, any day.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri May 08, 2009 9:49 am

Tyranena's Headless Man Amber Alt (Lake Mills) is excellent as well. I don't like some of their beers, but that one is a hit!
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 08, 2009 11:21 am

I'm glad you brought up Headless Man Amber Alt. I don't have it often, but every time I do I think, man, I forgot how good this was. My personal favorite is still Ambergedden.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Here's my top 5:
1) Newcastle Brown Ale
2) Bass Ale
3) Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
4) Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
5) Big Sky's Moose Drool Brown Ale
barreg

Postby donges » Wed May 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Right Bower wrote:
wallrock wrote:I'm real happy that Fat Tire will be distributed in WI soon.

Here now if you can stand only being able to get it in a 22 oz. "bomber." Star's got a display up, as does Jenifer St. Market.

I finally tried a 22 ozer. The clerk was all like "I've waiting ten years for this to come to Wisconsin!".
But, while not offensive in any way, it wasn't all that special. I really fail to see (or taste) what all the hoopla is about. It is an amber that is palatable; there are others that I enjoy far more.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 pm

fat tire = don't believe the hype
its not bad but it certainly isn't better than any locally made beer

ambergeddon and bell's amber are the only two I really dig on..and neither are a traditional "amber". When given the choice..would rather drink a brown than an amber..for that kind of session beer.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 13, 2009 6:44 pm

It is a very good approximation of a Belgian amber. That's all its meant to be. Its not supposed to dazzle, or incorporate myriad flavors, or be superhopped or whatever. Every New Belgium beer I've tried has been fairly simple and as close to the European recipe of the exemplar of that particular style as one typically can find in the US.

WI brews are great, but this "its not as good as anything here" argument is tired. This is a brewery that has won several World Beer Cups, they know what they are doing and they do it well.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails