MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Web Site Headlines

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Web Site Headlines

Postby makmadison » Tue May 05, 2009 11:20 pm

Please get rid of the first 5 inches of crap at the top of your website.

As I write this, there is 2 inches for your site, who cares, I know I am there. another inch for ads, who cares about these, I don't read them.

Ad onto this this another 1-2 inches for forun overhead, then all of a sudden I an scrolling along for the life of me.

Your web site is for crap. Unfortunately I have no choice but to use this site. I expect more from you

Mark Kochanski
makmadison
Forum Addict

Re: Web Site Headlines

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 pm

Excellent points.

So who's doing it well? What non-crap websites do you visit by choice?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 am

You "have no choice but to use this site"? What, is someone holding a gun to your head?

Three words for you: "Collapse Photo Bar". It's at the upper right. Maybe that will take a little bit of the edge off your outrage.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 am

chance wrote:Three words for you: "Collapse Photo Bar". It's at the upper right. Maybe that will take a little bit of the edge off your outrage.
This is the classic trope of poor user interface design. "If only the users would read and follow instructions, the design would work for them."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am

Collapse photo bar used to be temporary. You'd have to do it on each page. Looks like they finally changed that. Woo hoo!

The gray "THE FORUM" bar with the search does take up and awful lot of space, though.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am

Everyone remain calm. I've called for help and the waaahmbulance will be here shortly.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks for putting your name to this criticism. It's a lot more meaningful than an anonymous blast.

I wonder if what you're suggesting is kind of like saying to a magazine, "Get rid of the cover, I already know what I'm reading. And get rid of the ads, because I don't care about those. Just staple the articles together and give it to me."

This board exists in the framework of a newspaper website. The site would probably look different if it weren't run by what is traditionally a newspaper company. I would also look different if it didn't rely on advertising revenue to exist in the first place.

You might remember that even this version of TDP didn't make use of the "leaderboard" ads at the top of every page. We held out for as long as we could, but now that size and position is so standard across all commercial sites that advertisers expect it.

I don't need to point out that newspapers and other media organizations are struggling right now. It's particularly baffling because ads on this site work as well as they ever have and the people who read this site are still, largely, well-educated local consumers who are engaged in their community. But revenue is still a challenge. I know that you don't like all the ads, but right now I'm seeing Stoughton Opera House, Glass Nickel Pizza, Mother Fool's and Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream ads, along with east side realtor to the stars Liz Lauer. These aren't just businesses hoping to get some of your money, they're contributing members of the community. I'm pretty proud that they do business with us.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed May 06, 2009 11:57 am

I will never understand the endless complaints about ads.

Ads are how this stays free. unless you want to subscribe to isthmus and TDP and convince a few thousand friends to join you, advertising is how this is done.

No one is getting rich of their contributions here, and seems the only thanks they get is that people keep showing up. I only joined in the alt.com revolt because it was an odd one to hide when I'm at work and I didn't care for it at home either.

but thats more tasteful now and the rest are just fine with me.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed May 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Shipley wrote:I will never understand the endless complaints about ads.

Ads are how this stays free. unless you want to subscribe to isthmus and TDP and convince a few thousand friends to join you, advertising is how this is done.

Right. If you can't live with advertising, you probably need to rid yourself of all forms of media. It's how they all survive.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Right. If you can't live with advertising, you probably need to rid yourself of all forms of media. It's how they all survive. Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Fixt.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed May 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Hmmmm. I wonder what jammybastard's take on this would be?
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed May 06, 2009 1:16 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Right. If you can't live with advertising, you probably need to rid yourself of all forms of media. It's how they all survive. If you can't afford a babysitter, don't come. Brought to you by Bennett's.

Fixt.

Re-fixt.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Right Bower wrote:

Right. If you can't live with advertising, you probably need to rid yourself of all forms of media. It's how they all survive.

Or just participate in the arms race by owning a DVR, using ad blocking plug-ins, etc.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Right Bower wrote:

Or just participate in the arms race by owning a DVR, using ad blocking plug-ins, etc.

If by "participate in the arms race," you mean "drilling a hole in your own boat." Sure, we might all evolve to have gills, but people are gonna drown before that ever happens.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 06, 2009 2:41 pm

The funny thing about the kids and the ads is that, in some ways, young people have never been more engaged with ads than now. They love them some Mac & PC, don't they? And they'll make their own ads and post 'em to YouTube if they like a product enough.

And has there been an ad campaign as aggressive as Mac & PC? They take over the New York Times home page on a regular basis and show up in other "creative" ways in other publications. But it's Apple, right? Jobs can do no wrong!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com