MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Save This Restaurant!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Save This Restaurant!

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:11 pm

I also love LaRocca's and have been disturbed by the lack of other folks in there the past few times.

I would have added Babs' to this list but unfortunately they've already succumbed.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:25 pm

I went to Curry in the Box for dinner Friday night. It was the first time I've eaten there when there were other customers having sit-down dinner. The delivery guy seemed pretty busy, though.

The Domino's Pizza that used to be next door is no more.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:47 pm

minicat wrote:I also love LaRocca's and have been disturbed by the lack of other folks in there the past few times.

This doesn't surprise me. It's a friendly, casual atmosphere, but the food is pallid.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:40 pm

fennel wrote:
minicat wrote:I also love LaRocca's and have been disturbed by the lack of other folks in there the past few times.

This doesn't surprise me. It's a friendly, casual atmosphere, but the food is pallid.

Haven't tried their other dishes, but the stuffed pizza is enough to keep me coming back.

I stopped by Arbat last night around 8:30, hoping to try it for the first time, but the lights were out. Sign said they are open until 9 on Saturdays.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

LaRocca's

Postby kulgar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:58 pm

The pizza is great, more traditional than the bizarre and expensive combos you can get further up Willy St, and the wine list respectable. Business has been up and down, especially at lunch, but there appears to be a recent uptick and things are not dire. The restaurant industry had a really tough winter but we patrons will keep LaRocac's afloat. The food is good, I eat there at least twice a month.

It's not like Peppino's where you should go there to enjoy an incredible meal before the old man retires and we lose a culinary treasure.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:10 pm

eriedasch wrote:Another 2 thumbs up for Dohban.

Make that one thumbs up for Dohban.

The pizza ovens were broken at Mr. Roberts so we took a couple bandmates new to Dohban for sandwiches.

I realize the problem was just our waitress, but didn't help matters that she only had 1 other table in the entire place and 3 other waitstaff people were just sitting around by the bar talking, joking, dancing. Meanwhile this one waitress was running around - back and forth to the "other" table and the till behind the bar, then back to the kitchen, then to the back room. Not sure what she was doing because the other table already had their food. Could not get anyone's attention despite our contant glares toward anyone looking in our direction. We didn't get our drinks until after the food arrived. And that was after basically flagging her down on her one trip past our table 20 min after we ordered. Two or three other bus-people walking around also had to be informed we needed more water.

Once we had our food and drinks she must have finally realized we were being neglected because then she stopped by every 3 min to the point of being irritating wondering if we needed anything.

The sandwiches were nothing great either. My burger was over-done to being dry and another's burger was undercooked. So much for turning new people onto the place. And I would hate to see how our waitress would handle 3 tables at one time.

Of course I'll go back and hoping it was just a one-off, but did not seem like they were even trying.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Apparently, Cafe Porta Alba should have been on this list.

Man, I hope they reopen somewhere else...
Kovalic

Add The Local Tavern

Postby kulgar » Sat May 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Seated ourselves after asking the bartender and then walked out after ten minutes of a waitress ignoring us (with 8 paying customers in the place) and the hostess saying "I'll be right with you" and then going off to stand at her station in the other room for five more minutes. The bartender finally handed two menus to the waitress who walked by me twice, once with a head feint towards our table which stopped me from calling out for her, but we were on our way out by then.

Ten minutes without even getting a menu in a nearly empty joint at lunch is my limit. I should have stolen the napkins....
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby sallyliao » Tue May 24, 2011 3:33 am

I love dumplings of all nationalities. Since Pelmeni closed, keeping Arbat open is even more important.
sallyliao

Postby massimo » Tue May 24, 2011 11:55 am

Haven't they been closed for over a year now?

viewtopic.php?t=49167
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Beware of the bot.....

Ms. Liao's comment is an actual grab from the previous page by Large Marge.

LargeMarge wrote: (April 5, 2009) I worry about Arbat, too. I love dumplings of all nationalities. Since Pelmeni closed, keeping Arbat open is even more important.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm

oic.

What's the purpose of a bot that doesn't link to anything? Is it building a post count?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 pm

massimo wrote:oic.

What's the purpose of a bot that doesn't link to anything? Is it building a post count?

My experience says that, if TDP hasn't blocked the account from further posts, it will edit the post to include a link later.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:34 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Dobhan on atwood is another place that is too empty too often. It's worth a visit just to see the work they put into the place.

I think they have up and down times. Sometimes if you get there early it will be empty, but after 45 minutes or an hour the place is packed.

Another vote for Dobhan. I'm not sure how Nepalese it is, but the ribs special is great. And you'll have amazing service if you're lucky enough to have Liz wait on you.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews