MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Vista that bad?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Is Vista that bad?

Postby Beaver » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. We looked at Swap but their PC's looked quite old and beat up, and the buyer has to install the OS. That is too hard for my parents or me.

They want to buy in a local store not over the web. On-line purchases are too risky. Even at Dell.com, I found a $500 desktop with XP and monitor that I thought would be good for them. After I configured it and got ready to check out, it showed me ordering a $750 laptop being sent to someone with my name in Washington state so I canceled that order. If Dell.com won't work, I don't want to even look at others I've never heard of like mwave.com. So the on-line and Linux options are out.

Windows 7 isn't due until December. When it comes out, it sounds like it will be exactly what people like my parents are looking for. A good OS like XP on affordable desktops sold at stores. But they don't want to wait 8 months.

It still seems like the best non-web options are a used Dell or a new PC with Vista. Based on how bad most of you think Vista is, it seems the used Dell with XP is best.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 pm

On-line purchases are too risky. Even at Dell.com, I found a $500 desktop with XP and monitor that I thought would be good for them. After I configured it and got ready to check out, it showed me ordering a $750 laptop being sent to someone with my name in Washington state so I canceled that order.

Sounds like user error to me. You do realize millions of purchases are made online daily with no such errors.
Windows 7 isn't due until December. When it comes out, it sounds like it will be exactly what people like my parents are looking for. A good OS like XP on affordable desktops sold at stores.

Yeah. That's not what it sounds like to me. "Good" OS is yet to be seen. It will probably be buggy as hell for the first year like all things MS. Affordable desktops? Sold at Stores? Those are the qualifiers here for a "good" OS? There will be at least 4 versions of Windows 7. The ones on the "Affordable" PC's will lack many of the features you can get now on Vista just to make them "Affordable". Not that you really pay for the OS when you buy new. It's all subsidized in there with the computer so There really shoudn't be any issue of cost at least as far as your OS is concerned. Look for a 99$ version of 7 and probably one that costs as much as $400 if you were to buy a retail box of it (which doesn't happen often). Mac OS on the other hand has 1 version and it's $129 in the rare case that you were to buy a boxed copy. The Linux laptop is affordable, sold at stores (Target among others) and there is a desktop version as well with a lot more storage. Not saying at all your decision on the used Dell is wrong by any means just confused as hell as to how you got to that decision.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Sounds like user error to me. You do realize millions of purchases are made online daily with no such errors.

How could a user error of mine associate the purchase with someone of the same name in Washington state? I didn't know that person's address. Clearly, it must have come from Dell's customer database which only Dell has access to.

fisticuffs wrote:The Linux laptop is affordable, sold at stores (Target among others) and there is a desktop version as well with a lot more storage. Not saying at all your decision on the used Dell is wrong by any means just confused as hell as to how you got to that decision.

Are you talking about netbooks with the tiny 9" or 10" screens? My parents would like a screen at least 17", a built in DVD drive, and a full size keyboard. Plus they don't want to keep recharging a portable netbook or laptop. Netbooks are interesting for other purposes but they aren't what my parents are looking for in this case.

I see bestbuy is now selling the Dell 531S slimline for $380, or $430 with a 17" LCD, or $480 with a 19" LCD. Has 3gb RAM, 320 gb HDD, and Vista premium. It's tempting at those prices.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... cat0500000
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:46 pm

I'm also talking about the desktop version with no screen for $299 that I linked to earlier at Mwave. You can buy stuff online. I just did. Your freak experience with Dell.com shouldn't deter you.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 am

No, Vista isn't that bad. Your parents aren't going to notice the things other people criticized about it if you buy it on a new computer like the one you're getting.

The machine you're posting has decent specs. Although you can surely do better online (not with a cheaper computer but with slightly better specs for a similar price), I'd say that's a fair price for it.

Keep in mind most of the people on this forum are mac users. The advice you get here is always skewed toward mac.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:39 am

Keep in mind most of the people on this forum are mac users. The advice you get here is always skewed toward mac.

Not sure where you pulled that data from. But yes I am currently typing on my imac. My iMac that has never crashed and required a restart. Has never had to be completely wiped clean and started over, has never had a virus or even a pop-up. Yes I paid a slight tiny little bit more for it than a comparable Windows machine but to me its ben worth every penny. You'll also notice this Mac user has been pushing hard for a linux machine for this guys parents.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

Beer Moon wrote:No, Vista isn't that bad. Your parents aren't going to notice the things other people criticized about it if you buy it on a new computer like the one you're getting.

The machine you're posting has decent specs. Although you can surely do better online (not with a cheaper computer but with slightly better specs for a similar price), I'd say that's a fair price for it.

I don't think anyone here has said "fuck it, tell 'em to get a Mac! BRAAINNNNSSSS" in this topic. You're just feeling lonely as the only true MS devotee here. Most people just like what they have.

And tell my SO's barely computer-literate parents about how smooth Vista will be for them. They can't stand it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games