MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

car stereo oddness

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

car stereo oddness

Postby tomr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:03 pm

I just installed, in my usual half-assed way, a replacement car stereo. The odd thing is that now I'm occasionally getting some distorted sound, but oftentimes only during commercials! I know I should just go back and re-do all my connections and ground, but I find it odd that it only happens during commercials. Any thoughts or suggestions? BTW, it's in a diesel.

-tomr
tomr

Re: car stereo oddness

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Does volume level make a difference? Do the commercials distort at low volumes as well as high?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Prep the new stereo's Fetzer valve with 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And you're gonna need about 10 quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tomr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Does volume level make a difference? Do the commercials distort at low volumes as well as high?

The distortion is not related t volume level. I turn down the volume on commercials, and I can just barely hear it squaking to itself. Like I said, peculiar. It will distort other times, just no where near as often.

-tomr
tomr

Postby tomr » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:40 pm

supaunknown wrote:Prep the new stereo's Fetzer valve with 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And you're gonna need about 10 quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State ...

No true audiophile will use 3-in-1 oil on a Fetzer valve. Truffle infused extra virgin olive oil, or lard.

-tomr
tomr

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Any chance you put regular unleaded into that stereo? That usually just screws up the tuning though.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Sounds like the tuner is a wee bit defective. Not all the way defective just too much gain. Could be a poorly QC'd component in there somewhere.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 pm

tomr wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Prep the new stereo's Fetzer valve with 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And you're gonna need about 10 quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State ...

No true audiophile will use 3-in-1 oil on a Fetzer valve. Truffle infused extra virgin olive oil, or lard.

-tomr

Did a manure spreader jackknife on the Santa Ana right before this started to happen?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm

tomr wrote:it's in a diesel.

There's your problem. The ghost of Baron Heimlich Von Diesel is screwing with your jamz.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games