MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison noise ordinance

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Does Madison sound like one big fan room?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 12

Madison noise ordinance

Postby Mike S. » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:01 pm

I originally was looking for a way to post a Letter To The Editor for Isthmus... I still haven't figured out if there is one. But if there is, then:

Dear Editor:

I was stunned to read a piccolo player was cited twice for noise violations in Madison. When JSM constructed a building at 210 East Lakelawn, they installed a furnace whose plastic organ pipes played a dreary tune outside all winter, which I measured as 80 dB at the property line. But unlike towns with nighttime noise limits of 60 or even 55 dB at the property line, Madison allows 65 dB --- measured 50 feet away! My only recourse was to put boards over the windows until I could move. If you want some example at State Street lunch hour, consider the heavy truck and industrial air compressor that David J. Frank runs three feet from your restaurant table --- to water the city flowers! Consider the State Street malls at Frances or Broom, that roar with adjacent ventilator noise. No puny human with a pipe could scratch the Madison noise ordinance with all his strength: it's just that you have to be a machine to be a citizen of Madison.

Mike

Disclaimer: In case it isn't obvious from the above text, I am not saying that any of the people mentioned did anything "wrong" by Madison standards. Nor anything particularly unusual. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.
Mike S.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:53 am

Speaking of noise, I'd like to knock the fuckers who have been setting off fireworks in James Madison Park every night about 1/2 hour after bar-time for the past TWO WEEKS!!

Bastards.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:45 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Speaking of noise, I'd like to knock the fuckers who have been setting off fireworks in James Madison Park every night about 1/2 hour after bar-time for the past TWO WEEKS!!

I hope no one accidentally spills any gasoline in the area of previous infractions. The inebriated offenders might not notice, and the results would be just tragic.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:07 am

nickled&dimed wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Speaking of noise, I'd like to knock the fuckers who have been setting off fireworks in James Madison Park every night about 1/2 hour after bar-time for the past TWO WEEKS!!

I hope no one accidentally spills any gasoline in the area of previous infractions. The inebriated offenders might not notice, and the results would be just tragic.

DAMN! I knew I should have checked back before bar time. But there is always tomorrow night.

The little bastards are setting them off again as I type this at 2:05am. It has to be drunk trust-fund frat-boys stumbling over from the Red Shed or The Pub. Who else could afford or have the interest to be blasting off about $50 worth of fireworks every night at bar time for TWO WEEKS? They must be punished.
Last edited by white_rabbit on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:14 am

May they have super hangovers!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:41 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
nickled&dimed wrote:

DAMN! I knew I should have checked back before bar time. But there is always tomorrow night.

The little bastards are setting them off again as I type this at 2:05am. It has to be drunk trust-fund frat-boys stumbling over from the Red Shed or The Pub. Who else could afford or have the interest to be blasting off about $50 worth of fireworks every night at bar time for TWO WEEKS? They must be punished.

You know what was kind of nice last night?
Every time people started going crazy setting off all their suicide bomber fireworks, it would start raining!
Ha ha.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:03 pm

Once again, this morning at 2:21am the little pricks started shooting off the fireworks again in James Madison Park.

I never thought I'd be the guy who calls in a noise complaint to the police, but enough already. The nice lady who answered the non-emergency number said she would send someone over. Thank you MPD for you quick <15 minute response---and thanks for not just chasing them out of the park, but actually giving the little bastards a ticket.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:37 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Once again, this morning at 2:21am the little pricks started shooting off the fireworks again in James Madison Park.

I never thought I'd be the guy who calls in a noise complaint to the police, but enough already. The nice lady who answered the non-emergency number said she would send someone over. Thank you MPD for you quick <15 minute response---and thanks for not just chasing them out of the park, but actually giving the little bastards a ticket.

I'm immensely gratified that they got a ticket.
Last time I called in a complaint for people shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night, the cops gave me the brush-off.
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:53 pm

I really didn't think they would send anyone over, so I was amazed they responded so quickly.

Must have been a slow Tuesday night.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Once again, this morning at 2:21am the little pricks started shooting off the fireworks again in James Madison Park.

I never thought I'd be the guy who calls in a noise complaint to the police, but enough already.

Anybody still wondering why we use screen names on the Forum?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:

I never thought I'd be the guy who calls in a noise complaint to the police, but enough already.

Anybody still wondering why we use screen names on the Forum?

I hesitated for a moment before I called, thinking, "blunt knows who I am....blunt knows everyone....he probably knows these trust-fund frat-punks....what if he rats me out to the frat punks setting off fireworks...." but I live on the fifth floor of my building and my car is in a garage underground, what vindictive damage could they do? I'm too high for them to egg my windows and my car is too low for them to deflate my tires.......
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com