MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Gaming in 2009

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Gaming in 2009

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Someone had to start this thread. I don't really have much to say or predict. I will have some expendable video game cash after all this holiday mess. What do I spend it on?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gaming in 2009

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Street Fighter IV - very much looking forward to this, especially after the downloadable HD remake of Super Street Fighter 2 got me back into the game. Fei Long! He's awesome!

Halo Wars - Never really liked RTS games, but then until Halo I never really liked first person shooters. Willing to give this a shot.

Burnout Paradise - Oh yeah, I'm still playing and more content is rolling out soon, including a new island and Doc Brown's car.

Resident Evil 5 is rolling out, but I've never been a huge RE fan. That said with co-op it might turn into a more gripping game.

Just to keep track fo whats coming --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2009_video_games

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3171537
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:46 pm

I knew if I put out the Geek Signal Shipley would show up. Not a big RE fan either. I bought 4 recently and couldn't get into it. Burnout is the game that keeps giving although honestly I haven't invested that much time on the content that it came with. The motorcycle upgrade was a nice surprise and now a Delorian? Sweet.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:13 pm

the bike pack was a freebie, the island and the "legendary car" pack will be paid downloads. the other cars in the legendary pack are supposedly facsimilies of KITT, ECTO-1, and the General Lee.

RE 4 was cool, but felt like it straddled that line toward hard more than challenging. the controls felt like they inflated difficulty, though thats been the case with the entire RE series.

There is Legend a new Zelda will come out in 2009. so I guess I better get cracking on Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass soon.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Wii Motion Plus?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Looking over that Wikipedia entry for 2009...

Xbox 360/PS3
Being an Aliens fan, I'm looking forward to what Gearbox will do with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Bionic Commando might be worth checking out.

As for games based on Movies, there's Ghostbusters 3 and the next-gen installment of Indiana Jones (shares an engine with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed).

The next installment of the Leisure Suit Larry franchise, unlike Magna Cum Laude, will feature no nudity. So F@*$ THAT!
I'm still waiting for a full-on XXX Leisure Suit!

I for one AM a Resident Evil fan who owns and have played through RE 0-4, and am looking forward to Resident Evil 5.

A next-gen remake of 1988's Splatterhouse could be interesting.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection with OVER 40 Sega Genesis games!

PS3 Exclusives
God Of War III (Q4 2009) may provide enough reason (in addition to Blu-Ray) to purchase a PS3. We'll see.

Nintendo Wii Exclusives
Let's face it, the only Wii games worth getting are their exclusives, and unfortunately just like the Gamecube before it, the Nintendo Wii's exclusive line-up is and has been weak!

I enjoyed House Of The Dead II & III with the Perfect Shot on the Wii, so I'm curious to see what House Of The Dead: Overkill will be like (although as with any on-rails shooter, I probably wouldn't pay much more than 20 bucks for it - and it's going to retail for 50).

For the Wii comes the next Punch-Out! in the series (since Super Punch-Out for the SNES!).
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:28 am

A new Zelda would be good but I just started over on Twilight Princess after not playing it for a year. I've got a lot of game there. Punch Out! will have some stiff competition with the new Ready to Rumble for the Wii. I got a lot of play out of the Dreamcast versions.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:47 pm

I LOVED RE4. Became one of my favorite games in recent memory. If RE5 is anything like 4 I'm definetely there. I also never liked the RE games. The controls were like trying to drive a tank. I think I made it about halfway through the first one then gave it up. But they fixed things a lot with 4.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:20 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Wii Motion Plus?

I would look forward to it, but I have zero faith in Nintendo being able to make enough to meet demand for it. 9 months later I can't buy a Wii Fit, so how would the sequel to Wii Sports do?

Nintendo has largely abandoned me as a customer with focus on these kinds of titles anyway. Even casual games I play more on the 360 (Rock Band, Scene It, You're In The Movies)
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Sony still refuses to reduce the price of a PS3. And now they've announced massive layoffs. Poor game lineup doesn't help either and they're still making games for the PS2.

I'd love to get a Wii but they don't have a whole lotta games that I want to play (ie Bioshock).

Sigh. They don't make games like they used to.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Bioshock is bargain priced on PC and 360, and the 360 is less than the Wii
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Alan Wake
Brutal Legend
Whatever Obsidian is working on, if they release this year (Alpha Protocol, or the Aliens Commando title)
Diablo 3 - if it comes out.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:36 pm

While I've largely rejected the band themed expansions for Guitar Hero and I'm not a huge Metallica fan, I think Guitar Hero Metallica will be a good game. their catalog will fit really well into GH, and I think it'll be fun.

I don't know if its a keeper, but I can see buying it and playing it to completiion before selling.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Console:
Fallout 3
Halo Wars
Replay Mass Effect

PC:
WoW
WarHammer
DDO

All in my free time of course... :|
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:48 pm

This just in, Street Fighter IV is the best fighting game online EVER. no lag, great matching, pure fun.

Only problem is every scrub in the world picks Ken.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games