MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Twitter much?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Twitter much?

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Never heard of it. Is Twitter the latest Myfacesterbook?
Some folks' existence just won't be denied!

Probably never saw Titanic either.

Yes, yes ... I acknowledge you.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5574
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Needle all you want. Some people find it enjoyable to interact with others without the veneer of cynicism that message boards tend to enable.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Twitter much?

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Needle all you want. Some people find it enjoyable to interact with others without the veneer of cynicism that message boards tend to enable.

Check your browser. I think you can disable the "veneer of cynicism" setting.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5574
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:55 pm

supaunknown wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Needle all you want. Some people find it enjoyable to interact with others without the veneer of cynicism that message boards tend to enable.

Check your browser. I think you can disable the "veneer of cynicism" setting.

I think I need to be on a Mac to do that.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:00 pm

And I hate to break it to ya Supes, but this conversation would have fit perfectly within Twitter's 140-character per message max, and with far fewer clicks to submit. Thus, the appeal.

Also, no, it's not the new (_____), it's Twitter. The reason it's successful is that it's still pretty novel. Competitors (primarly Pownce) have come and gone trying to unseat Twitter.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Twitter much?

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Does Clitter count?

I find it's the best way for me to keep abreast of what my best friends' vaginas are up to.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Twitter much?

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Clitter is the new Twatter.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5574
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:48 pm

...sigh
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Twitter much?

Postby juanton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Double sigh concerning folks who think their every thought needs to be archived somewhere on the net because it's easy.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2741
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:58 pm

juanton, somewhere on the net, wrote:Double sigh concerning folks who think their every thought needs to be archived somewhere on the net because it's easy.

"Need"? Who said anything about "need"?

Don't worry, I'll stay off your lawn.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Twitter much?

Postby juanton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:19 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Don't worry, I'll stay off your lawn.


And for crying out loud, my back yard is not open to riff raff crossing either.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2741
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:24 pm

Re: Twitter much?

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Also, no, it's not the new (_____), it's Twitter. The reason it's successful is that it's still pretty novel. Competitors (primarly Pownce) have come and gone trying to unseat Twitter.


I'm not sure what you are saying here, but there's nothing novel about Twitter. The marketing guys are clearly doing their job well.

A little history: The 1971 SAIL Finger command allowed people to query a database that contained information about the system users.

By 1992 or so, anyone with a shell open on a Un*x system might be running finger. I used a few versions--BSD, Solaris, and Gnu--and while there were some variations, the finger command would typically display the user's login name, real name, terminal name, write status, idle time, login time, phone extension, office location, and of course the witty one-liners some people associate with Twitter.

Oh yeah, the system had to be running the finger daemon.

Security was a big problem, but CFingerd, a hacked Finger daemon, had pretty decent security modded in.

Anyway, I suppose you could make some kind of case that the web interface is novel, but I wouldn't buy it. Anyone on the Internet has been able to to immediately publish his or her own content for 13-14 years; even Blogger, which allowed any idiot to do it, is a decade old.

So your "The reason it's successful is that it's still pretty novel" looks very odd to me as a claim.

I think you want to say "The reason it's successful is that it's pretty successful," or something.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:51 pm

christopher_robin wrote:A little history: The 1971 SAIL Finger command allowed people to query a database that contained information about the system users.

By 1992 or so, anyone with a shell open on a Un*x system might be running finger. I used a few versions--BSD, Solaris, and Gnu--and while there were some variations, the finger command would typically display the user's login name, real name, terminal name, write status, idle time, login time, phone extension, office location, and of course the witty one-liners some people associate with Twitter.

Oh yeah, the system had to be running the finger daemon.

Security was a big problem, but CFingerd, a hacked Finger daemon, had pretty decent security modded in.

Right. That's pretty much the same thing as "type message, click Update."

I don't really care if it's novel or not, honestly. It's an enjoyable expenditure of tiny fragments of time, and I got suckered into being the one to defend it, as I usually do.

You've exposed me, once again, as not being as smart as I think I am. Thanks. I'll go on to being a blissful idiot now. :roll:

PS Being negative 7 years old in 1971 severely impacted my ability to do whatever the hell finger shit you just described up there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: Twitter much?

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:58 pm

twitter can do it by text message, and disperse messages by text, which is why its more novel than running unix in the 90s.

Anyway, I don't want to get into the hows and whys Twitter is popular, but its kinda is.

As for what I'd want out of a TDP twitter, a twitterfeed thats updated via RSS with articles instantly would be cool. If you're more hands on, have whoever combs the forum for quotes in print put a quote of the day up every morning, or just link to active threads. Not EVERYTHING, since that would be far too much.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md

Re: Twitter much?

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Shipley wrote:As for what I'd want out of a TDP twitter, a twitterfeed thats updated via RSS with articles instantly would be cool. If you're more hands on, have whoever combs the forum for quotes in print put a quote of the day up every morning, or just link to active threads. Not EVERYTHING, since that would be far too much.

That sounds decent. Since @IsthmusTDP woke up post-election, I've been enjoying the output. A little bit more would be fine, too.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8317
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar