MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Franken stealing the election?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Franken stealing the election?

Postby jjoyce » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:09 am

My view of Franken is that he's a carpet bagger who couldn't wait to get away from Minnesota and being a senator is more important than actually doing the job.

I don't have a much higher opinion of Norm Coleman, whose boomer ambition has caused him to sell out just about everyone who has ever crossed his path.

But reports of election fraud seem to be implicating Stuart Smalley this morning.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:35 am

seeing as senator coleman got in during and because of the the republican-stoked backdraft from the perfectly understandable behaviour of many in the aftermath of the death of senator wellstone -- which, it should go without saying was a horrific event in all dimensions that will mark minnesota and midwest politics for 120 years at least to an extent that those who do not follow minnesota politics closely cannot fully grasp -- i would think that the d.f.l. not being able or willing to find someone better is a bit of an insult to voters.

the same backdraft sucked out all the oxygen for m.n.i.p. and green candidates even more than it did the d.f.l. as well including former member of congress tim penny who at one point was ahead by 10 points in a four-way race, leading to gov. pawlenty's election, although i do not think he merits further comparison to senator coleman...
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:35 am

gozer, you are the Jackson Pollock of words.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 am

Average Joe wrote:gozer, you are the Jackson Pollock of words.

why thank u....i was thinking more of william s. burroughs with the aerosol paint cans and shot-gun, but all the same...
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm

jjoyce wrote:But reports of election fraud seem to be implicating Stuart Smalley this morning.

Ned, is that you? There is nothing in that article to suggest fraud. Minor human error occurs in vote-tallying all the time (if it's the same ward I read about yesterday, somebody accidentally entered 24 instead of 124 and the error was caught afterwards). Usually these errors go unnoticed by the public because usually elections don't come down to a couple hundred votes. Obviously Coleman's people are going to portray every Franken vote gained either now or in the recount as fraud, but that doesn't actually make it so.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:15 pm

gozer wrote:
Average Joe wrote:gozer, you are the Jackson Pollock of words.

why thank u....i was thinking more of william s. burroughs with the aerosol paint cans and shot-gun, but all the same...

I'm glad you took that as a complement, as it was intended. Your posts and sentences can be confusing, but if you step back and contemplate they posses a jumbled beauty. Much like a Pollock painting.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:13 pm

aaronetc wrote:
jjoyce wrote:But reports of election fraud seem to be implicating Stuart Smalley this morning.

Ned, is that you? There is nothing in that article to suggest fraud. Minor human error occurs in vote-tallying all the time (if it's the same ward I read about yesterday, somebody accidentally entered 24 instead of 124 and the error was caught afterwards). Usually these errors go unnoticed by the public because usually elections don't come down to a couple hundred votes. Obviously Coleman's people are going to portray every Franken vote gained either now or in the recount as fraud, but that doesn't actually make it so.

I was thinking that Jason signed in under the wrong account.

At least now we know the Secret of Flanders.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:26 pm

buckyor wrote:I was thinking that Jason signed in under the wrong account.

At least now we know the Secret of Flanders.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:27 pm

thank u again...it is indeed a form of performance art. some people with a weak grasp of pharmacology accuse me of getting loaded before i post but i found out that posting style usually leads to the cyber equivalent of a fit of purple face and shouting by some wankers here who like to attack newcomers to the board, perceived or actual, for reasons of being afflicted with a species of xenophobia and have other unsubstantive complaints to lodge.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:29 pm

gozer wrote: . . . other unsubstantive complaints to lodge.

Speaking of unsubstantive complaints, what gives with the unsubstantiated inferrence, Jason?

I'm OK with you not digging Franken, but its not cool for you to get all slanderous on his ass just because you've got a bone to pick. If that's what's going on here, its making you look worse than him.

Did you maybe link to the wrong info?
lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Wow. jjoyce is Flanders? Rereading Flander's post under this rubric is like reading Garfield Minus Garfield.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:06 pm

What would Franken hope to accomplish by fraud?
Considering he earns his living skewering the hypocrisy of the Right, I think his readership/listenership might drop off considerably if he got caught cheating. So why risk it? Even running a losing campaign, he gets plenty of material for his next book, so why bother rigging the election, especially if you think his running was more comedic stunt than desire to serve?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:35 pm

Jason, you lost me at "Stuart Smalley."

Fox News might occasionally break a factual story, but I'll wait for a less noxious source to report it to start talking about it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:40 pm

yeah definitely i'll wait for a less noxious source than jason.

mostly i'm hoping franken wins so i never have to hear his horrific radio show ever again.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:59 am

Poor Jason apparently doesn't know how elections work and doesn't understand they tend to be quite chaotic during the tabulation process - which is why he's been so easily duped by the Koleman kampaign's rhetoric.

What happens starting the day after an election is all the boards of canvassers audit the tallysheets to make sure the results were added correctly. Occasionally, in all the chaos after the polls close, mistakes are made. Nobody's stealing votes here. And even if they were, the hand-recounts will correct the situation soon enough. That, kids, is how it works.

Recount the votes and then tell us how Stuart is stealing the election (btw, a lot of that shit he did with Franken and Davis produced more ridiculous characters. Expand your insults or, at the very least, stop copying them from Bill O'Reilly)
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government