MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

DVD Burners, Scanners

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

DVD Burners, Scanners

Postby MadMind » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Are there ANY DVD burners and scanners/multi-function printer/copier/scanners out there that are compatible with Windows 98SE (or below)? Or is Windows 2000 usually the entry point for such peripherals?
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:31 pm

Nevermind, I found it's not the minimum OS requirements that's holding the subject PC at bay (there ARE Windows 98 compatible DVD burners and Scanners etc.), it's the CPU speed.
I could get a new processor to up the speed, but it wouldn't be worth it.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:37 pm

wow, the latest technology isn't compatible with a 10 year old OS?

/smartass
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:04 pm

Exactly how slow is your processor? Modern DVD writers should have buffer underrun protection, so unless your machine is painfully slow, it should be ok.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 pm

TAsunder wrote:Exactly how slow is your processor? Modern DVD writers should have buffer underrun protection, so unless your machine is painfully slow, it should be ok.

Painfully slow. Like Shipley said about Win98, we're talking about 10 yrs old - 300Mhz (which was actually fast when it came out).
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DVD Burners, Scanners

Postby MadMind » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:04 am

Calling Beer Moon!
Since you seem to be a pro at scanning New Egg for the best deals, could you find me a scanner with an insert to scan slides that would operate on USB 1 and all OS's starting with WIN98SE?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 am

Oh. My. God. Buy a new computer!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:46 am

I doubt there are many scanners that work with 98. The best scanners certainly don't (e.g. canon 8800F and epson V200). I think you're better off with something like this: http://www.scancafe.com/

More disturbing than you having an ancient computer is the fact that you are apparently unable to browse newegg or too lazy or something. There's a search bar. Type scanners in there. Click on each scanner and then click specifications.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:43 am

Ha. Tough to find.

The windows 98 isn't the only thing that's going to hurt you. How long you figure it will take your computer to try to display a high-quality image - much less edit or resize it?

You need a new computer. That said, this scanner seems to have a lot of good reviews and many mention using it for slides. It is not listed as compatible with anything past XP.

Another user posted this comment: "With my computer (2.4Ghz, 2 Gig RAM), I can scan four 35mm slides at 4,800 dpi in 6 minutes. Not bad at all. The quality of the scan is impressive." I honestly don't know how much the computer has an impact on this, but I would not be betting on using anything less than what he describes. 6 minutes is rough. 4800 dpi is going to destroy your system.

One comment on the slide part was this: "I've learned of much better ways to convert slides to digital. One is to use a light table and a macro lens on a quality camera. Much, much faster and yields better images."
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:48 am

Beer Moon wrote:It is not listed as compatible with anything past XP.

I think you mean earlier than XP, as in no Win 98. That is what it says on the canon site too.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:53 am

As long as you're at Newegg...

Try this.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Nevermind, it occurred to me that a scanner isn't something I would use on a daily basis and that I could use my brother's new laptop.
So I could probably get any scanner out there.
But it's irrelevant since I'm currently unemployed and broke off my ass!

The thing with scanning slides is, the first time I had Woodman's scan a few slides (they do it in-house) and the scans they did were garbage. Next I had them done at Walgreen's and they came out better than I could have expected, but they send them out to have them scanned.
As much as I liked Walgreen's scans, I don't like sending them out since they are irreplaceable. I'd much rather do the scans myself at my own leisure.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:06 am

They do have dedicated machines for scanning slides, and they are thousands of dollars. But they are quality scans and the scanning is automated. There are even some home versions...

I think it's going to be a lot of leisure time if you want to do it yourself.

First things first though. You need a job.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 am

Beer Moon wrote:They do have dedicated machines for scanning slides, and they are thousands of dollars. But they are quality scans and the scanning is automated. There are even some home versions...

I think it's going to be a lot of leisure time if you want to do it yourself.

You think? I mean I only have upwards of 2800 slides to scan...
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 am

What are some of the most popular (and simple) programs/software for burning/copying copyrighted DVDs???
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games