MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

ORD park n' fly hotels

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Needless to say, Ms Vilas has vetoed the Van Galder ever since.

One reason I try to avoid driving to O'Hare is that it's bad for my health to:
1. Scream at stupid drivers for an hour.
2. Grip the steering wheel that hard.
3. Have so many adrenaline shocks from almost get plastered across the road by drivers cutting me off.
4. Generally be pissed off and/or frustrated for an extended period of time in stop-and-go traffic.

No matter how much the bus is fishtailing or stuck in traffic, I'd rather be sitting on the bus than driving myself.

YMMV
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:09 pm

There's a trade off. Ms Vilas has to drive while I navigate.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Coming from Boston, driving in Chicago is usually when I feel more at home (vs. here in Madison), so that's probably not an issue for me!

I had a great Park n' Fly experience in MKE so I think we will try to do that again as opposed to the bus. We are not on any schedule so the driving stress will be minimal both ways. Holiday travel is an issue with buses (December 23rd is our flight), so Hank's description rings true as well. Thanks.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:22 pm

I used to take the Van Galder, when they only stopped just past the Brat Haus. Then I drove the treacherous Chicagoland roads for 25 years. Last weekend, our driver navigated and detoured through flooded streets and intersections. O'Hare was closed for about 3 hours. Our driver was in constant communication with his office. At least 3 buses waited and or, dropped people off at the Allstate Arena, which was better for me. All the drivers, down and up, were champs. Yeah, that O'Hare Hilton is nice. Next, I might just try to figure out how to hop the CTA, and then the Metra, which runs through my old back yard.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:35 am

I was anti-bus for a long time resulting from an over-crowded trip when I was a teenager. At Janesville we had to switch buses from a regular coach to a party bus, and when an older lady got on in Beloit my dad made me give up my seat (not so chivalrous at 14). I had to sit on some sort of cooler and every time we hit a bump I was basically cornholed on the knob. Terrible memories...

I haven't had a bad experience in the last decade, and coming back from O'Hare last December in a snowstorm was probably the least unnerving part of the trip.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: ORD park n' fly hotels

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Doing the Wyndham O'Hare, 123.87 after tax with two weeks parking. Thanks all!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel