MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Woody-Annes

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Woody-Annes

Postby artguy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:48 am

How is this place? It looks cozy and I may take a friend there some time. Do they have food? Are they pretty friendly there? There is not a lot of info on the web.
artguy

Postby blunt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:48 pm

The good ol brick cube.
It's best if you're a regular because there are only so many stools.
But I braved it and found that they are quite friendly. Hell, it's the Atwood neighborhood doncha know.
Great food if great food to you is a Tombstone pizza.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Doctress Julia » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:52 am

A guy named Brian works there on Sundays and Mondays and the special is 1.25 cans of Pabst! Also, they have a nice, very old shuffleboard table, and it only costs a quarter. Also, they carry Lukosawa potato vodka, which is good and I have never seen any other bar carry it.
Doctress Julia

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:27 am

They still have that shuffleboard game?

Here's my Woody-Anne's story, which is from the early 70's. Me and my then-boyfriend (we're like 25 years old) are out in what was to us a foreign country, the east side. We decide to try Woody-Anne's. It's afternoon.

We get a nice greeting, buy ourselves a beer (tap Old Style is probably 25 cents in those days) and decide to play shuffleboard. After a round or two, the bartender buys us each another beer, which is always a sign of trouble if you're new in a bar. You know you have to buy a third round, and somebody is setting you up for something...

These two nice older ladies are drinking at a table nearby. They suggest playing shuffleboard against me and then-bf, so we agree. A few people come to watch. Small amounts of money are put down.

Well, they turned out to be shuffleboard sharks! These two nice ladies ate us for lunch.

All in good fun, except then-bf was a turd about losing games and had to get all serious and keep on. The ladies probably picked this up in advance -- he was such a mark. I had to pretty much bodily remove him and take him home.

Moral of the story is watch yourself around Woody-Anne's shuffleboard game and those two old ladies at the round table.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:52 am

Nice place. No complaints. They're fairly good neighbors. Always got a kick outta the "Pizza Air-Conditioned Fun" sign.

Food not a draw... not a food place unless you like frozen pizza. Sorry. Good, solid bar tho. Folks have never given me trouble there.

I sat in there on several ESPN football games when we didn't have cable.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby surroundedbyreality » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:31 pm

snoqueen wrote:Here's my Woody-Anne's story, which is from the early 70's. Me and my then-boyfriend (we're like 25 years old) are out in what was to us a foreign country, the east side. We decide to try Woody-Anne's. It's afternoon.

Although I don't think this bar has changed much over the years it wouldn't have been Woody & Anne's in the 70s. They bought the place about 20 years ago.

Before it was Woody & Anne's it was Chris's and before that it was Diamond Jims. I was a kid in that neighborhood and always thought it was called "Hot Tamales" because of the big advertising sign.

I bartended there a few years ago. It's a friendly place. A majority of the people are regulars but anyone is welcome.

The shuffleboard table is the only one of that length left in the area. 30ft? not one of those short ones with rubber bumped sides. The Great Dane recently got one of this style but its like 5 feet shorter.
surroundedbyreality

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Agreed. It did have a different name back then. Wish I could remember what it was.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:28 pm

I went there for the first time a few weeks ago. Completely friendly place, felt like a homey Northwoods bar right away.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Hey Woody-Anne's fans:

a neighbor is starting to call in complaints about loud arguments in the parking lot and other assorted behavior that comes with most bars. I know, I know...they moved in near a bar...it wouldn't have been a house I would live in just for that reason.

If you're a regular, you might want to look out for bad actors before there are too many more complaints or pass along the info to the bar.

I always thought a great name for the place would be "the Blockhouse" or "the Bunker".
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Doctress Julia » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Perhaps the neighbor should complain to the bar directly and not the police. It's not any regular's responsibility to be a messenger for said neighbor. Just a thought.
Doctress Julia

Postby Peanutbutter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Walter wrote:...loud arguments in the parking lot and other assorted behavior that comes with most bars.

If it wasn't for the smoking ban, those loud drunks could stay inside where they belong.

I give this bar no more than a year before the noise complaints force it to close.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:42 am

Regulars usually care more about their fave place and take a strong interest in it. Nobody said it was their responsibility. It's the responsibility of the bar to manage and control their premises.

Peer pressure from regulars might stop the trouble without police intervention. Smoking ban has nothing to do with reports of drunk drivers and dope deals. Or drunk patrons walking up to children in their front yards and asking a lot of personal questions and then telling their parents, "you have nice children."

People call police because they have to live across the street from a place and want an intermediate to intercede so they don't have to put up with drunks pissed off because someone complains about their behavior.

No bar ever got closed down due to noise complaints but it sure can bring alot of unwanted attention to their customers.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails