MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Television Shows You Want To See Released On DVD

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Postby buckyor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:18 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:I second Duckman.

While I'm at it, I'll third and fourth that emotion.

What the fuck is wrong with Paramount anyway? There are petitions, blogs and forums all over the interwebs chock full of posts screaming for this release.


All you had to do was ask.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Postby Hank_Venison » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 pm

I remember a SciFi show called "Otherworld" when I was in High School.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088587/
http://www.answers.com/topic/otherworld-tv-series

Apparently they only aired 8 episodes, but they made 13. I remember I liked the show, it would be interesting if they released all 13 episodes on DVD.
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Flashback/Classic Mtv hosted by John Norris which ran on Mtv throughout the early-mid nineties.
Are there any DVD compilations of eighties music videos out there?
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:41 am

MadMind wrote:
The Center Square wrote:"Friday the 13th" (the series)

That was a good show and definitely deserves to be put to DVD.
According to Wikipedia, NBC Universal's horror-themed cable channel Chiller, which launched on March 1st, 2007, is airing Friday the 13th: The Series for the first time on television in almost a decade.

Just read this.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:07 am

The Center Square wrote:"Friday the 13th" (the series)


I never did figure out how the series tied in with the movies. I only watched a handfull of episodes. Were they supposed to be related? Any mention of Jason Vorhees in the series?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Laboratory » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:49 am

The State.

They finished a DVD set, but MTV will not release it.

http://www.the-state.com/
Laboratory
Senior Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:41 am

Postby TAsunder » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:53 am

Hank_Venison wrote:
The Center Square wrote:"Friday the 13th" (the series)


I never did figure out how the series tied in with the movies. I only watched a handfull of episodes. Were they supposed to be related? Any mention of Jason Vorhees in the series?


There is no relationship to the movies. There were a few people who worked on some of the movies who worked on the series, but that is possibly just coincidence. In fact, the original title was something else, and they changed it to Friday the 13th to increase the draw I believe.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Postby The Center Square » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 pm

[size=0][size=9]
TAsunder wrote:
Hank_Venison wrote:
The Center Square wrote:"Friday the 13th" (the series)


I never did figure out how the series tied in with the movies. I only watched a handfull of episodes. Were they supposed to be related? Any mention of Jason Vorhees in the series?


There is no relationship to the movies. There were a few people who worked on some of the movies who worked on the series, but that is possibly just coincidence. In fact, the original title was something else, and they changed it to Friday the 13th to increase the draw I believe.


The Movie?
The only external-relationship on that show that I was ever followed was
The Robey to Murry Head to the "BB" in ABBA one.

The episode where they got trapped in the safe where they kept all the (re-)possessed/cursed/kissed by a devil/etc'd items and had to relive their most terrifying experiences until their hearts exploded still makes me smile when I think about it. That's the best use of the standard filler/flashback episode I've ever seen used. I just can't remember how they got out if it! One hour of Robey screaming and running from things trying to kill her. ONE HOUR SOLID. That's WAAY more fun than the m[/size]ovie(s).[/size]

Thanks for the heads up on this release Madmind!!!!!!
The Center Square
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby MadMind » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Prior to the plethora of extreme work shows we have today was Livelyhood, a less-sensationalized look at day-to-day work at different jobs.
Livelyhood ran on PBS from 1997-2001 and was hosted/co-produced by Milwaukee's own Will Durst, who has had held over 150 jobs in his lifetime.
Available on VHS, but not on DVD.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby MadMind » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 am

MadMind wrote:Flashback/Classic Mtv hosted by John Norris which ran on Mtv throughout the early-mid nineties.
Are there any DVD compilations of eighties music videos out there?

I did a little digging so I'll answer my own question;

Apparently there are a couple DVD compilations out there containing music videos from the 1980's, like the DVD Pure 80's containing 14 videos, the Essential Music Videos DVD series which contain 6 videos each, and the 20th Century Master DVD series which contain 5 videos each.
Most economical would be the 4-DVD MTV 20 Collection (1981-2001) which contains a total of 52 videos for $24.99 on Amazon, or the 3-DVD Pure 80's Ultimate which contains a total of 45 music videos for $35.99 on Amazon.

Still, your best bet would be to track down a particular artist's merchandise for DVDs of their video catalog. Music videos from the late seventies/eighties from lesser known musical outfits? YouTube.

I recently cataloged my VHS tapes containing the program 'Classic Mtv' (aired in 1992-93) and it came out to 22 hours, 378 music videos. Unfortunately all recorded in SLP so the quality is crap.
I was actually surprised at how few times most of the videos were repeated. At the top was a tie - 4 times each for Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like A Lady" and Peter Gabriel's "Shock The Monkey".
Most videos by one artist? Madonna at 12 separate videos.
Most curious exclusion? Not one video by Michael Jackson. Also, no Weird Al.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:04 am

Duckman Seasons One & Two -- out today!

Please go buy a copy so they sell enough to justify putting out the rest of the series.

Thanks.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Postby buckyor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Duckman Seasons One & Two -- out today!

Please go buy a copy so they sell enough to justify putting out the rest of the series.

Thanks.


Seasons 3 and 4 are already available for pre-order on Amazon. Release date of January 6, 2009.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Postby The Center Square » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:51 pm

Also out today: A Nightflight flick FINALLY gets a real release -

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN THE FABULOUS STAINS

yay yay and yay.

I know it was designed to be a theatrical release, but without sounding longwinded...

It was a TV movie for anyone who ever got to see the damn thing.

and MAN is it a fun ride.
The Center Square
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm

buckyor wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Duckman Seasons One & Two -- out today!

Please go buy a copy so they sell enough to justify putting out the rest of the series.

Thanks.


Seasons 3 and 4 are already available for pre-order on Amazon. Release date of January 6, 2009.


Hooray!

Thanks for posting!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8720
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Postby MadMind » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:53 am

MadMind wrote:Prior to the plethora of extreme work shows we have today was Livelyhood, a less-sensationalized look at day-to-day work at different jobs.
Livelyhood ran on PBS from 1997-2001 and was hosted/co-produced by Milwaukee's own Will Durst, who has had held over 150 jobs in his lifetime.
Available on VHS, but not on DVD.

Nevermind about this one. Got word from The Working Group that they are planning on having it available on DVD by the end of this month.

The Center Square wrote:Also out today: A Nightflight flick FINALLY gets a real release -
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN THE FABULOUS STAINS
yay yay and yay.
I know it was designed to be a theatrical release, but without sounding longwinded...
It was a TV movie for anyone who ever got to see the damn thing.
and MAN is it a fun ride.

Not to be a dick, but whether it's a theatrical release or TV movie, that post belongs under the Movies You Want To See Released On DVD thread.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar