MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Poor Bartending in Madison

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:13 pm

Thank you for sparing me from looking at it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Bartenders

Postby pagan_evolution » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Yes, the quality of bartenders has gone down. In some places it is almost a dare to get served. BUT the quality of drinkers also has gone down. I find drinkers have become ruder, drunker, more inclined to certain behavioral problems, louder, and too many squeaks of bar stools signalling a fight. Of course, bartenders tend to over-serve more than they did in the past. There's not as much respect for alcohol. I still drink but I just don't go to bars anymore--crowd ain't the same. Other drinkers' drool and temperament get old after a while.
pagan_evolution

Postby Doctress Julia » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:46 am

I think I am a good bartender... :oops: I am nice, I make good drinks, I'll listen to your problems, and I know lots of trivia. :D I learned how to bartend in Milwaukee, I think that's why. Honest. I really try my best. I don't visit many bars here in Madison because of the fucking snotty hipster ATTITUDE you get! For real. Like I was found under a rock. I tip anyways, but I never return to places like that. :x
Doctress Julia

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:14 am

I've always maintained that Martini Bob Perry at Smoky's was the paragon of what a bartender should be. Though I'm by no means a regular, I've been in the Martini Club for a couple of years and he always remembers my usual order.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bartenders

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 am

pagan_evolution wrote: I still drink but I just don't go to bars anymore--crowd ain't the same. Other drinkers' drool and temperament get old after a while.

Sounds more like you've gotten old. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Job Description for: "Bar Tender"

Postby Tending Bar » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Job Description for: "Bar Tender"

Mixes and serves alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks to patrons of bar, following standard recipes: Mixes ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water, sugar, and bitters, to prepare cocktails and other drinks. Serves wine and draught or bottled beer. Collects money for drinks served. Orders or requisitions liquors and supplies. Arranges bottles and glasses to make attractive display.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah, fine, whatever. That's all dandy, just Jim Dandy. But I agree with the previous; there are things that can not be taught. Things you have to learn and make common sense common again.

I love to Tend Bar. I look forward to going to work; stocking, wiping down, cutting, prepping, etc. Once the gates are open and the trickle turns into a flood of people - the listening begins. Pouring a quality drink, offering an array of classic or new cocktails to those who want a change, washing my hands to the point of exhaustion, always making sure you glass is given to you from the bottom and not where your lips may go (should you choose not to use the straw, checking in with people by 1st name or their specified usual, the list goes on.

50 Signs you're a Bad Bar Tender...

Tending Bar

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails