MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
shriners
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Lobster

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Lobster

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:41 am

So every year I get a nice Lobster dinner for my birthday. I'm wondering where we should go this year. I'm certain there are some opinions out there so lets have 'em.
Thanks
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 am

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:49 am

That looks pretty amazing unfortunately the girlfriend probably wouldn't be able to handle the preparation and I don't think I should have to. Where is the best place to go sit down and have something exactly like this served to me?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:59 am

The Blue Marlin has or had steamed whole maine lobster for ~$50. Some posters here have reported that their quality of food in general has declined in recent years, though. I've not been for quite some time so I can't confirm or deny.

I am not aware of any other non-chain place that feature whole Lobster regularly.

The only lobster dish I've had in Madison that I'd recommend is the delicious lobster bisque at Eno Vino. It comes with a lobster tail. Probably not quite what you were looking for, I guess.

Ocean grill, Captain Bill's, Fleming's, etc. have lobster tail dishes, but I've yet to met one (bisque aside) that was worth the price of admission.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Hmmm. Well I'm not terribly picky. I'd settle for a decent Lobster tail and some good sides and atmosphere. A whole live steamed Lobster isn't necessary. Any opinions on Mariners?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:58 am

Ummm...Red Lobster?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:59 am

I did that last year. Looking for something more interesting. I didn't hate the place at all but clearly Red Lobster is to Lobster what KFC is to Chicken.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:04 am

If its just the lobster tail, its most likely not fresh. I would give Blue Marlin a try. If they are advertising a full Maine lobster, its probably flown in fresh. Otherwise tails are canned, or shucked, detached and sitting around in a freezer.

Red Lobster? Seriously for your birthday, you deserve better (I can guarantee that none of it is fresh).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 am

Here is one that hasn't been mentioned:
http://www.esquireclubmadison.com
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 am

TAsunder wrote:The Blue Marlin has or had steamed whole maine lobster for ~$50. Some posters here have reported that their quality of food in general has declined in recent years, though. I've not been for quite some time so I can't confirm or deny.

I am not aware of any other non-chain place that feature whole Lobster regularly.

The only lobster dish I've had in Madison that I'd recommend is the delicious lobster bisque at Eno Vino. It comes with a lobster tail. Probably not quite what you were looking for, I guess.

Ocean grill, Captain Bill's, Fleming's, etc. have lobster tail dishes, but I've yet to met one (bisque aside) that was worth the price of admission.

The lobster entree at Bacchus in Milwaukee was the real deal, fresh and delicious meat, and they had obviously shucked it themselves because it was claw and tail.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 am

Hank_Venison wrote:Here is one that hasn't been mentioned:
http://www.esquireclubmadison.com

Australian lobster tail, what do you think that means?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 am

boston_jeff wrote: Red Lobster? Seriously for your birthday, you deserve better (I can guarantee that none of it is fresh).

So the tank full of live lobsters in the lobby is just for show?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby kitten » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:11 am

As to my knowledge the Blue Marlin is the only place that has live Maine lobster. They're $46 a pop, but there will be plenty to go around so you and GF could split it. I would recommend calling ahead though because since they are live I think they only keep a few around at a time and sometimes they run out.
kitten

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 am

Blue Marlin is starting to sound like my best option. What about all you can eat crab legs. Does something like that exist in Madison. I've seen it before up north in more touristy areas.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:37 am

Not all you can eat, but it says you can order as many pounds as you like at $10/lb:

http://www.madcitycrabhouse.com/
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews