MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Scotch seliction?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Good Scotch seliction?

Postby McSwain » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 am

Where can I go for a good selection of single malts? I moved here 2 years ago and can't find any where with more that one or two drinkable ones. For those afficianatos, my faves are:

Dalwhinnie
Achen Toschen
Aberlour

Thanks in advance.
McSwain

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 am

Maduro and Brochach (sp?)

Maduro also has a nice Port selection.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Check with Vom Fass on University.
www.vomfassusa.com
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:49 pm

I'll second Brocach. Also, the Local has had some good ones in the bar I heard they inherited from the Flatiron days.

At least one of the Barriques has some scotch tasting events occasionally, as well.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby McSwain » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:50 pm

sitnspin wrote:Check with Vom Fass on University.
www.vomfassusa.com

I can purchase for home consumption many of my faves. I was more looking for a place to go out to.

Been to Maduro, meh. Kinda spendy for no real reason.
Hadn't tried Brochach.
McSwain

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Scotch, out, is spendy everywhere, no?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby McSwain » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:19 pm

jjoyce wrote:Scotch, out, is spendy everywhere, no?

relatively, yes. spendier than beer, but less than say...Dom.
McSwain

Postby princessmidwest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:36 pm

not sure if it's changed since i visited years ago, but the greenbush had a fantastic selection, i've also always been pleased with cafe montmartre, but again, i haven't seen their list in the past few years. i'm super picky about the stuff since i used to bartend at a private club with an amazing selection i'd sample during downtime.
princessmidwest
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:39 pm

If you're in it just for the booze, head to the Edgewater's bar. I have never since seen a bar as fully stocked with scotch, armagnac, cognac, assorted brandies, madieras, ports, lillets, etc. Go when David Bicknase is playing piano and watch the sunset.
Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby McSwain » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Elliot wrote:If you're in it just for the booze, head to the Edgewater's bar. I have never since seen a bar as fully stocked with scotch, armagnac, cognac, assorted brandies, madieras, ports, lillets, etc. Go when David Bicknase is playing piano and watch the sunset.

thanks for the recomendation.
McSwain

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:09 pm

I sure wish you wouldn't refer to uisce beatha as Scotch. It's whisky. Not whiskey, whisky.

I am not fond of single malts but have had a few that have turned my head.

My favorite whisky is Johnny Walker Black. I have had gold and blue and black still steals my heart.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:29 am

The Icon on State Street has a respectable scotch list and some decent cognacs...prices are reasonable although the pours look a little wimpy--but they seem to get better if you sit at the bar and talk with the bartender! i think they have the list posted on their website
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:26 am

There was a time when I felt my usual gin and vodka drinks were going down a little too quickly, so I had the brilliant idea of switching to scotch, since I didn't really care for it and assumed I would drink less. It worked for a short time but I soon got used to the taste and eventually realized I was back to drinking a little too much, however I was now spending over twice what I had before. That was the extent of my scotch experience. I've been drinking a lot of beer lately.

That's all.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:I sure wish you wouldn't refer to uisce beatha as Scotch. It's whisky. Not whiskey, whisky.

I am not fond of single malts but have had a few that have turned my head.

My favorite whisky is Johnny Walker Black. I have had gold and blue and black still steals my heart.

Its Scotch in the US, whiskey in Ireland and whisky in Scotland. You don't call the trunk of your car a boot do you? For someone so hung up on authentic whisky nomenclature, your taste is pretty crappy. Johnny Black is your favorite and you are not fond of single malts? Your license for commenting on this thread has just been revoked.

I agree with the Brocach recommendation. Nice Irish and Scotch selection there. Have yet to try Maduro, I'll have to check it out since they have a very nice selection. The prices are a little high, but it looks like the best menu I've seen in Madison...and high prices for Scotch are relative.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Scotch is a type of tape.

You forgot about Japanese Whisky, Canadian Whisky and Irish Whiskey.

If you must know, the only single malt I find drinkable is Macallan 12.

I drink Johnnie Walker Black because it's a good sipping blend. A lot of single malts just don't taste very good to me. Especially Islay....too peatie.

The Macallan 12 is a fine whisky.

I only drink Irish Whisky if someone else is buying. I heard that Wisconsin drinks the most Jameson than any other place in the world. I guess that accounts for something.

Oh, and when I'm driving the Jaguar, yes, I call it a boot. That's mostly because there is a little light on the dash that tells you when "the boot" is open.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails