MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Merlyn's Memories...

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Hollywood Autopsy

Postby hollywood » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:57 pm

dni wrote:
hollywood wrote:
My best memories from there... opening for The Gun Club twice( but sad watching Jeffery Lee Pierce drink his provided-by-contract 2 bottles of champagne by himself).

Hey Hollywood, might you be the person I bought my fender mustang guitar from?
Here is a link to a page with the flyer for the guitar and a poster for the show you did warming up Gun Club: http://d-n-i.com/music/madison/hollywood-autopsy/
It was a very fun show.

Sorry, but I'm the other guitar player, but I have sold and owned a few Fender Mustangs in my day.

Check out this guy's site for his other great pictures of Merlyn's shows also., Fear, Replacements, Gun Club, etc.

http://www.mediaspin.com/punkbands80s.html
hollywood

Rich was the third drummer

Postby teddymanny » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:11 pm

For the sake of the big book of local music history, I note: Rich N. was the third drummer for the Appliances and M. Scott Young the fourth. The first was Doug Normington, who may still be tuning pianos hereabouts. The second was Mike Torrano, who was--and perhaps still is--a very skillful drummer. (I believe I've just butchered his surname). Last I knew, he was doing video work in Chicago.
teddymanny

Great bands, great prices

Postby e6gMan » Wed May 09, 2007 5:35 pm

Renaissance played a great show with an arena-big sound.
I remember that! Camera Camera tour, right?
The Joy Division show that almost happened, sadly cancelled due to suicide. Ian Curtis R.I.P.
I was sooo bummed!
The mood at the Stranglers show was eerie. Danger in the air. I remember the bass player beaning someone with his blue Precision.
My friends opened for them one show, The SubVerts.

Raybeats, with openers Individuals who were just as cool.

How about The Teardrop Explodes, Martha and the Muffins, The Slits, Skafish, John Otway, The Members, Cretones, Butch & Phil's First Person, The Republicans, Flock of Seagulls, Pere Ubu, and yes, I NEVER missed the Suburbs!!! People still can't believe I saw the Psych. Furs for $2 on their first tour. And how about when Pylon opened for Gang of Four-what a double bill!
...Merlyns R.I.P.
What was the name of that bar by Essen Haus where I saw The Dream Syndicate on their first tour???
e6gMan
e6gMan

Postby missmadtown » Wed May 09, 2007 5:57 pm

Big Daddy Sun and the Outer Planets -roots Rockabilly extraordinaire (saw them every time they came)

Insect Surfers - excellent SURF music which nobody was doing then, not even Waterdogs
missmadtown
Forum Addict

Postby guymadison » Wed May 09, 2007 10:39 pm

V.Femmes - one of my favorite Merlyn's repeat bands. What was it...50 cents to get in?

Clifton Chenier - my blonde, buxum girlfriend coaxed him (not hard) and his toothless washboard playin' brother to sign my old LPs even tho they were sellin' same.

What a cheapo!
guymadison

Postby Chemical Boy » Thu May 10, 2007 6:50 am

[quote="missmadtown"]Big Daddy Sun and the Outer Planets -roots Rockabilly extraordinaire (saw them every time they came)

I was living in Des Moines in the early 80s and saw Big Daddy Sun and the Outer Planets many times. They were the great unsung rockabilly band of the era.

Did another great unsung band, Get Smart! from Lawrence KS, ever play here?
Chemical Boy

Postby missmadtown » Thu May 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Chemical Boy wrote:
missmadtown wrote:Big Daddy Sun and the Outer Planets -roots Rockabilly extraordinaire (saw them every time they came)

I was living in Des Moines in the early 80s and saw Big Daddy Sun and the Outer Planets many times. They were the great unsung rockabilly band of the era.

Did another great unsung band, Get Smart! from Lawrence KS, ever play here?

I don't remember the name... Speaking of Lawrence bands, though, BR549 was here a year or 2 ago--great!--would like to see them again.
missmadtown
Forum Addict

Re: Great bands, great prices

Postby newlow » Thu May 10, 2007 2:06 pm

e6gMan wrote:What was the name of that bar by Essen Haus where I saw The Dream Syndicate on their first tour???
e6gMan

You talkin Rick's Hanvana Club? I saw them at Bunkys.

guymadison wrote:V.Femmes - one of my favorite Merlyn's repeat bands.

I have photos of the Femmes from a frat party on Langdon Street. Their first show in Madtown. We scared them with our skateboards and short haircuts.

Anybody got investment money they could put into a Madison Punk Rock movie? Punk documentaries are a dime a dozen, but I'd like to see a Madison Punk film.

Also I have been considering an art show of flyers from that era. Maybe we could get the Appliances, Hollywood Autopsy and the Tar Babies to reunite for that...
newlow
Forum Addict

Postby Luck Fest » Fri May 25, 2007 1:57 pm

e6gMan wrote:What was the name of that bar by Essen Haus where I saw The Dream Syndicate on their first tour???
e6gMan

Next to the Essen Haus? This would most likely be the O'Cayz Corral.
Luck Fest

Postby mcmx » Fri May 25, 2007 5:38 pm

Luck Fest wrote:
e6gMan

Next to the Essen Haus? This would most likely be the O'Cayz Corral.

Aye, The Havana Club it was. They did a great "Knocking On Heaven's Door".
mcmx

g.s. vigs

Postby werewolf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 am

the Meat Puppets played a couple of good shows there. the Replacements played one of their infamous drunk covers nights. there was some great surf band (name=?) who played on St. Patty's Day, with tons of cheap green beer being consumed by one and all. the Sun City Girls almost played there, but cancelled their tour en route. there was one night when everybody started dancing in slow motion to the appliances-sfb. and supposedly, after the cramps left town, they went to the ruins of ed gein's house and stole a brick to use as a kick drum stop. many other good shows and times were had there, that was a fun place...
werewolf

Re: Merlyn's Memories...

Postby EgeBamyasi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 am

newlow wrote:Iggy Pop proving he was more punk than any of us lightweights.

Anyone remember the interview he did the day of that show on WISC Channel 3's noon news show? Hilarious! After a couple of F-bombs and a few insults directed at the woman interviewer, the interview came to an abrupt end.
Can't decide if whomever scheduled him for that interview was done out of ignorance or pure genius!
EgeBamyasi

Postby banjovee » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Merlyn's:
Someone early in the thread mentioned that it was decked out, "to look like a cave." I think that decor was actually a remnant of the space's previous tenant, a real, live, 1970's coke-breathing disco by the name of The Red Rock. My favorite shows at Merlyn's: watching slack-jawed at Setzer's fret work with the Stray Cats and being freaked with delight at Bow Wow Wow.

G.S. Vigs
I did a long stretch of stand-up comedy shows there with a fun group we named "Madison's Young Comedians." The house band for our shows, The Bachelor Pad, included Robbie Gjersoe, now a popular session guitarist (Robbie Fulks, Willie Nelson, Jimmie Dale Gilmore). Gjersoe is now based in Austin and Chicago.
banjovee

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 pm

banjovee wrote:Merlyn's:
Someone early in the thread mentioned that it was decked out, "to look like a cave." I think that decor was actually a remnant of the space's previous tenant, a real, live, 1970's coke-breathing disco by the name of The Red Rock. My favorite shows at Merlyn's: watching slack-jawed at Setzer's fret work with the Stray Cats and being freaked with delight at Bow Wow Wow.

G.S. Vigs
I did a long stretch of stand-up comedy shows there with a fun group we named "Madison's Young Comedians." The house band for our shows, The Bachelor Pad, included Robbie Gjersoe, now a popular session guitarist (Robbie Fulks, Willie Nelson, Jimmie Dale Gilmore). Gjersoe is now based in Austin and Chicago.

Brian Setser married a high school classmate of mine. I just ran into him, literally, at our reunion last Saturday. And don't forget that Gjersoe played with Paul Cebar for years, as well as at least one tour of duty with Dale Watson.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby banjovee » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:16 pm

Yup on all things Gjersoe. Jimmie Dale Gilmore hired Robbie from the Milwaukeeans--on the spot--at a Summerfest show. That's when Robbie moved to Austin.
Vig's was such a great scene with a nice elevated stage in front of cabaret-style tables. And the brothers Vig treated us like Kings, Kings of Comedy.
banjovee

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music