MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Doctor Who

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Doctor Who

Postby uwstudent » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Nothing really. Just wanted to start a topic on the good Doctor. 8)
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:45 pm

4th season just wrapped on the BBC last Sat. with some major developments.
Torchwood should be back in the fall, and there's the Xmas special to look forward to.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skippy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

jammybastard wrote:4th season just wrapped on the BBC last Sat. with some major developments.
Torchwood should be back in the fall, and there's the Xmas special to look forward to.

Next year's season is just 4 "specials". Dunno if that means 4 normal length eps or if they'll be lengthier.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby rezin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:43 am

not to jump in and bash a show you guys like, but i've seen probably four episodes now and i just don't see the appeal.

did it take you guys a while to get into it or am i just missing the point?
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:37 pm

rezin wrote:not to jump in and bash a show you guys like, but i've seen probably four episodes now and i just don't see the appeal.

did it take you guys a while to get into it or am i just missing the point?

You may not be missing the point, but it's not necessarily something that takes weeks to get attached to.

I saw the recent vashta narada two-parter and had to resist the urge to get sucked in. I just don't have that much time to dedicate to such a mythology-heavy series. But I wanted to.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm

It takes a while to get into, IMO, because the style has to grow on you. Some may never get into it. It is very campy and self-referential at times. The best episodes so far (such as the ones TBP referred to) - ones that weren't all that campy but instead serious science fiction - were written by Steven Moffat who will soon take over for Russel Davies as the creative head honcho behind Doctor Who.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:41 pm

It shows what a geek I am having seen every single episode from the old series back when I was about 12. :shock: I like the new series but I think they're getting a bit convoluted. Having said that I wish they'd bring back Romana. :wink:
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:16 pm

uwstudent wrote: Having said that I wish they'd bring back Romana. :wink:

which one?
They were both equally dishy.

BTW - here's Lalla and Mary today...

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:24 am

Overall I have loved the 4th season, but...

The finale was a huge let down to me. The Stolen Earth was great, but Journeys End was a cop out from start to finish. Rose going off with the clone Doctor to live happily ever after? WTF?!?!?

Funny I thought the same about last year.The first episode with the Master was awesome and then it got terrible with the fetus Doctor and all.

I'm not a Russell T Davis hater like some, he did a great job bringing back the series and creating some great characters and dialogue. But some of the episodes(not all) he has written have really made me cringe.

I am really looking forward to the Moffat era.

Oh, and Skippy, from what I understand they are gonna be longer specials. Like 4 movie length stories so it should be nearly like a whole series.
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wesmon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 am

jammybastard wrote:They were both equally dishy.

Mary has aged better than Lalla but theyre both still great. And ya gotta love Lalla for being married to the champion athiest Richard Dawkins
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:09 am

Wesmon wrote:Overall I have loved the 4th season, but...

The finale was a huge let down to me. The Stolen Earth was great, but Journeys End was a cop out from start to finish. Rose going off with the clone Doctor to live happily ever after? WTF?!?!?

Funny I thought the same about last year.The first episode with the Master was awesome and then it got terrible with the fetus Doctor and all.

I'm not a Russell T Davis hater like some, he did a great job bringing back the series and creating some great characters and dialogue. But some of the episodes(not all) he has written have really made me cringe.

Oh, and Skippy, from what I understand they are gonna be longer specials. Like 4 movie length stories so it should be nearly like a whole series.

Utopia was awesome with Derek Jacobi, but the other episodes with the master were too over the top and silly at times.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Das Binky » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Poor Donna, with her renewed banality...

I enjoyed the Season 4 banality while watching it, but it didn't hold up well under reflection.

This post (http://io9.com/5022358/doctor-whos-midlife-metacrisis) summed up my thoughts nicely.
Das Binky

Postby skippy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:40 pm

Wesmon wrote:Overall I have loved the 4th season, but...

Thanks for the update. Last I heard, the Xmas special was going to be 1 of the 4 specials with the next being broadcast around Easter. I presume the next one will be around the summer solstice with an adventure at Stonehenge.

I enjoyed series 4 although Donna was the weakest link. She had her moments, however. I started watching in 1982 and have heard lots of criticism about the new series - mostly from people in their 40s. Aside from the sets not shaking, I don't see much difference between the new and the classic series.

It was fun watching "Forest of the Dead" with my girlfiend's 8 year old son. "Hey! Who turned out the lights?!" scared me but it really frightened the bejeezus out of him. He was wrapped up mighty tightly in that blanket of his and he announed that he would not be watching part 2. At least he didn't run out of the room like he did during The Rise of the Cybermen.
skippy
Forum Addict

Postby Wesmon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:54 pm

skippy wrote:
Thanks for the update. Last I heard, the Xmas special was going to be 1 of the 4 specials with the next being broadcast around Easter. I presume the next one will be around the summer solstice with an adventure at Stonehenge.

I enjoyed series 4 although Donna was the weakest link. She had her moments, however. I started watching in 1982 and have heard lots of criticism about the new series - mostly from people in their 40s. Aside from the sets not shaking, I don't see much difference between the new and the classic series.

It appears I was wrong about the length of the specials. Now they say they will all be around an hour long.

I disagree about Donna. When they announced The Runaway Bride was coming back I cringed, but they toned her character down and did a great job in my opinion. It was nice to see the Doc with an actual companion who has her own opinions, as opposed to another 20 year old with a hopeless crush on him. At least until the finale I liked Donna. The whole Doctor/Donna thing and the way they wrote her out of the series was terrible.
Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:59 pm

Shouldn't that be Doctor Whom?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV