MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Delicious Swagat lunch buffet!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Delicious Swagat lunch buffet!

Postby Ashley » Sun May 04, 2008 8:57 pm

I highly recommend the Swagat lunch buffet (on High Point Rd, west side). It's better than other Indian lunch buffets I've had in Madison, and it's 7 days a week!
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Delicious Swagat lunch buffet!

Postby Lily » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Ashley wrote:I highly recommend the Swagat lunch buffet (on High Point Rd, west side). It's better than other Indian lunch buffets I've had in Madison, and it's 7 days a week!

The lunch buffet is very good. It's about $9.00 but they have a very nice selection and their Indian food is very well prepared. I live nearby and even the aroma of the restaurant is aluring!! This place is a welcome addition to Madison.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:31 pm

It's quickly become my favorite of the Indian buffets. Which isn't saying much, since you still really can't get a good iddli in this town. :)

Nonetheless, it's good, and it's ncie that they serve things beyond the very standard dishes.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 pm

I swear.
For a second, I thought a TV evangelist had opened a buffet.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Our go-to Indian buffet over the past year. Excellent flavors. Soups are mind blowing. Goat could use work.

Beware the back room and the parties therein; you will instantly be 20 people deep in a line, furthering the delay of pie hole satisfaciō.

Not cheap, but worth it. Hi blunt!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:05 pm

We tried this place for dinner. Not too bad.

We went for two classics, malai kofta and paneer masala (tomato-based). The latter was much better. The malai kofta lacked texture and any real dimension to the flavor. Too bad, because when done well this can be a joyfully dynamic dish, what with the sweet of the raisins, the resilient crunch of cahshews, heady cilantro, and so on. But the paneer's sauce had a nice savory density that sustained throughout the meal.

The chapati and paratha breads were, eh, unusual. They seemed to be made entirely of white flour instead of whole wheat, and while I expect paratha to be buttered, buttered chapati seems very odd to me, like buttered pita.

An unexpected highlight was the onion chutney served as a condiment for the papadum starter. It was the best I've ever had. Very bright, without the slightly sulfurous undertone that is sometimes present.

Also, we ordered our dishes "medium." There was no detectable chili piquancy. None.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:06 pm

If you order "hot", though, they will make it hot.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 am

NullDevice wrote:If you order "hot", though, they will make it hot.

Unlike the "Fire" sauce at Taco Hell?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:52 am

We went and found the food extremely bland. How you can make bland Indian food is beyond me. Also, most of the food was barely room temperature.

I'll stick is the other well-known Indian buffet on Odana, thanks. Its not perfect either but at least it has some flavor.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 am

Crockett wrote:We went and found the food extremely bland. How you can make bland Indian food is beyond me. Also, most of the food was barely room temperature.

I'll stick is the other well-known Indian buffet on Odana, thanks. Its not perfect either but at least it has some flavor.

I have eaten at both (Swagat and Maj) many times and find them to be quite similar. I also hit the Maj (east) every now and then on the weekends. Overall I think Swagat gives slightly better variety.

Can you be more specific as to which dishes you tried at Swagat? Or did you try every single one and nothing had any taste? I feel claiming everything was "bland" to be a generic and lazy statement. The hot pepper relish and every chutney was bland? The chili chicken was bland? The Chicken tiki masala (that is practically identical to what they serve at Maj) was bland and tasteless?

What time did you go? I've noticed with many buffets if you go later (after 2p) the food will not be as fresh, but the last time I hit Swagat later (1:30p) they had recently put out fresh stuff and everything was pretty hot and tasty.

Sure, not every time I have eaten there has been great. Once they were very slow to put out more food, sometimes the lines get long at lunch time, and other times the waitstaff can be slow, but most of the time it is no different than any other Indian buffet in town and most of the time (for me anyway) it seems slightly better.

The reviews on google.com either rave about the place, complain about the poor service, or call it the same old boring Indian food like any other Indian buffet in Madison. I probably agree with all at some level. I do not agree that their food is bland and tasteless.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I don't detect much of a difference in quality compared to Maharani or both Maharajas. I haven't been on the same days to compare the choices, though. Some of the buffet choices at Maharani during weekdays are really bad.

I agree that you are hard-pressed to get a good idli -- this could apply to most south-indian foods, though.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:12 pm

My creed has been to write a review on a restaurant when I have a remarkable experience. I don't know how effective this is, it kind of assumes no reviews equals bad reviews, which isn't always the case.

I have eaten, I think, at all of the Indian restaurants in town. I have only had the buffets at Swagat and Maharaja, not off the menu. I am by no means an expert on Indian food, but I like to think I know when flavors are mixed well. I feel bad that you had a poor dining experience.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Over a year later and still our go-to Indian buffet. Eating today I found myself at a point on my plate where many sides came to cross. All in one good forkful; potato, curry, tofu, masala, paneer, a bit of marmalade and biryani.

The staff are always nice and accommodating. They get enough people in during lunches that the food never sits too long or seems over-cooked. Like any kitchen, some days and cooks are better than others. We have had dependable results on Sunday lunches. I tried the vermicelli dessert hot soup thing today and am yum. I have given up the goat, but the fish was awesome (it isn't always). I don't think they bring naan to the table anymore.

I liked it and will go back again (and again).
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews