MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bars w/ Wireless

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:26 pm

buckyor wrote:
buckyor wrote: A night's worth of Shipyard Prelude for anyone who can tell me why (you gotta come out here to collect though).

No guesses?

Gambling?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:42 am

Only slightly off topic, here is a suggestion for ya, jj.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:42 pm

O.J. wrote:
buckyor wrote:
buckyor wrote: A night's worth of Shipyard Prelude for anyone who can tell me why (you gotta come out here to collect though).

No guesses?

Gambling?

No- or at least not insofar as wagering on the outrcome of the games is concerned.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 pm

TRIVIA!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:53 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of online poker, but if you're a bookie you'd like to have wireless access to keep an eye on spreads.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Fantasy football. For real.

When I was in Arizona last fall, I went to a Scottsdale bar to watch the Packers-Vikings game. Every other table had at least one guy one a laptop. I talked to these guys at the table next to me (also Packer fans) and they were keeping track of how their fantasy teams (usually more than one) were doing. I suspect there may have been some financial reward for the winners in their leagues, though they did not say.

When I got back here, I talked to a friend of mine who is manager of one of the sports bars here in town. I didn't know they had wireless, but he told me hell yes they did, and he confirmed that sports bars all over the place are getting a wireless hookup for that very reason.

Finally, go hereto see what the guys at Football Outsiders say about what makes a great sports bar (I have a comment near the end- not about wireless). They don't specifically talk about the reason, but I think it's inherent in the discussion.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm

buckyor wrote:Fantasy football. For real.

When I was in Arizona last fall, I went to a Scottsdale bar to watch the Packers-Vikings game. Every other table had at least one guy one a laptop. I talked to these guys at the table next to me (also Packer fans) and they were keeping track of how their fantasy teams (usually more than one) were doing. I suspect there may have been some financial reward for the winners in their leagues, though they did not say.

When I got back here, I talked to a friend of mine who is manager of one of the sports bars here in town. I didn't know they had wireless, but he told me hell yes they did, and he confirmed that sports bars all over the place are getting a wireless hookup for that very reason.

Finally, go hereto see what the guys at Football Outsiders say about what makes a great sports bar (I have a comment near the end- not about wireless). They don't specifically talk about the reason, but I think it's inherent in the discussion.

I'm an idiot, I can't believe that didn't pop into my head. I do pretty much the same thing from the comfort of my home with the Sunday Ticket. As far as the financial rewards go, yes, they are a main driver of this behavior...I took home 2 grand in my league 2 years ago.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 pm

O.J. wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of online poker, but if you're a bookie you'd like to have wireless access to keep an eye on spreads.

I'm not a bookie, but that's exactly what I have a wireless account for.
square
Forum Addict

Wireless at Wilson's

Postby Doctress Julia » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:39 am

Hey y'all, Wilson's has wireless. i go surf there and eat fried mushrooms. The bartenders are nice, too.
Doctress Julia

Postby mcs_madison » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:39 am

The Shamrock has wireless...
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Jade Monkey
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails