MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Poor Bartending in Madison

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Poor Bartending in Madison

Postby Mose Schrute » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:09 pm

Having been a regular visitor to many of Madison's drinking establishments over the past 20+ years I (and many others) have noticed and commented on the steep decline in the quality of bartenders in this town. Now I know that we can all name a few tenders that we all like and are good.. but the fact is that overall quality is very poor.

I would like to use this post to nominate local bartenders who are worthy of praise and tips..

Here is my first nomination:

Although I cant remember his name at the moment he runs the bar at Delaney's Steak House. As far as I am concerned he is everything a good bartender should be, friendly, efficient, consistent, and funny. You will always be taken care of like a king or queen..
Mose Schrute

Postby corncernedcitizen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:26 pm

5 bucks says Mose Schrute is that very bartender in question.

On topic though, I'll tip my hat to most of the bartenders at the Plaza. They give me strong drinks on the cheap, and they're good people to boot.

I say 'most of' because, well, the new ones are still learning. :D
corncernedcitizen

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:35 pm

and they all seem to have been there forever. Same guys behind the bar as when I was sneaking in there with my fake 8 years ago. Only been there once this year though but still mostly the same guys.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:36 pm

I'd also like to tip my hat to the bartenders at The Dry Bean. Good guys know their drinks a little good old bar tender flair with the bottles. Wag of my finger to The Hody. even when fully staffed they seem to avoid serving customers at all costs.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:34 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I'd also like to tip my hat to the bartenders at The Dry Bean. Good guys know their drinks a little good old bar tender flair with the bottles.

And the rohypnol is always on the house!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Marvell wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:I'd also like to tip my hat to the bartenders at The Dry Bean. Good guys know their drinks a little good old bar tender flair with the bottles.

And the rohypnol is always on the house!

I'm glad it was you who "went there."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:58 pm

corncernedcitizen wrote:They give me strong drinks on the cheap, and they're good people to boot.

Well I, for one, consider that a call to duty. Let's put on our hobnails and give 'em a good boot.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mose Schrute » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:06 pm

5 bucks says Mose Schrute is that very bartender in question.

HA! concernedcitizen, I am not that person, you owe me five bucks..

Has anyone been to the bar at the "Generic City Brew Pub" in West Towne mall.. I am not trying to say the bartenders are bad, however I am really put off by the bartenders being forced to over-introduce themselves to everyone who comes in... It just seems so fake...
Mose Schrute

Postby Learned » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 pm

Mose Schrute wrote: It just seems so fake...

That's because it is!
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regicide » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:31 pm

I'd just like to note that the "same guys" are no longer dominating the staff at The Plaza. Over the past several months they've had a large turnover as many of the old-timers (yours truly included) have moved on. I worked briefly with most of the new guys and, once they master the practical stuff, I expect they'll probably be an improvement over a worn-out and jaded me. Plus the core mangement is still there to pass on the "Plaza ethos." I'm glad to know we didn't offend too badly when I was there, though.
regicide

Re: Poor Bartending in Madison

Postby Rosemary » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Mose Schrute wrote:Having been a regular visitor to many of Madison's drinking establishments over the past 20+ years I (and many others) have noticed and commented on the steep decline in the quality of bartenders in this town. Now I know that we can all name a few tenders that we all like and are good.. but the fact is that overall quality is very poor.

I would like to use this post to nominate local bartenders who are worthy of praise and tips..

Here is my first nomination:

Although I cant remember his name at the moment he runs the bar at Delaney's Steak House. As far as I am concerned he is everything a good bartender should be, friendly, efficient, consistent, and funny. You will always be taken care of like a king or queen..

My favorite bartenders ever are in Lake Mills. In town, Vanessa, Brooke, and the dude with killer sideburns (I really should know his name) at Maduro take the crown.

And, Mose Schrute, I love the username. Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby joey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:35 am

well, the people that attend the "bartending academy" sure arent improving the quality of bartenders. inexperienced managers and unknowing tom cruise wannabes are putting tons of weight on the value of the academy. it's a joke. i've hired and fired multiple people that have gone through it. i dont know what they teach there, but it sure isnt bartending.
joey

Postby lysander » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:43 am

If by "the academy" you mean those stupid "learn to bartend" classes that always advertise in the Isthmus via the AAN thing, then yeah. But you should do them right and instead of calling them 'bartenders' use the term 'poor shmucks who got tricked into paying to memorize worthless recipes', as it is highly unlikely that that class will lead to gainful employment.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beeryoni » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:28 am

your right. bartenders have really gone down hill over the years.
What ever happened to the bartenders who not only could pour a drink with the best of them, but also lend a sympathetic ear to one's woes and troubles?
Bartenders these days really are lacking in substance and style.
it makes me so very sad... hey bartender, another beer down here...
Yoni from horsesring.com
beeryoni

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:34 am

They're probably tired of hearing you talk about horses all the time. That website is a little much. How many videos can you watch of horses standing in a field?

Sorry, I'm not a horse-hater or anything but a one minute video of a pregnant horse lying on it's side like it's dead??
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails