MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Weather terrorists

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Weather terrorists

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 pm

According to several local meteorologists, we'd best all get off the roads and hold our young ones close later this afternoon because we're about to see "dangerous" windchills and "intense" snow with close to "zero" visibility.

Of course, the more we fear the weather, the more we tune in to local TV, radio and web to follow (or "track") the progress of the imminent storm.

Are we supposed to believe that this isn't a stunt to drive ratings and click-thrus? I mean, come on! It's going to be 3 inches! That's barely a cat tracker!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Right?!

You know when a puppy is excited, scared, and confused all at once? and in the space of 60 seconds, it'll race around, piddle on the floor a little, bark crazily, cower at loud noises, and hump your foot? That's what channel 15's weather guy reminded me of last night while he reported the "blizzard warning" and death-inducing weather conditions. Good grief, it was funny, in a "want to poke him with a snowstick*" kind of way.

*This made-up word was actually used by whomever was transitioning to the weather guy, as in, "more snow than you can shake a snowstick at."
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 pm

If these terrorists make it easier for me to leave work earlier, then I fully support them. Tap my phone lines, harass me at airports, I don't care, because I am going home to take a nap.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 pm

I hope its all overblown hype. I'm supposed to be in a mini bus on my way to Minneapolis in 3 hours.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Weather terrorists

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 pm

jjoyce wrote: It's going to be 3 inches!

It's not the 3 inches of snow that'll be causing problems, it's the 50 mph wind gusts.
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Weather terrorists

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:It's not the 3 inches of snow that'll be causing problems, it's the 50 mph wind gusts.

bum-bum-BUMMMMMM!!!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:23 pm

INTERIOR SHOT
NIGHT
Zoom in on bloated white man seated at mahogany desk

BLAIN'S FARM AND FLEET CEO: "Profits are down. A recession looms. Tivo decimates our commercials' impact. How to put frightened, rebate-pondering eyeballs back on our advertising?"

DRAMATIC TIGHT SHOT OF HIS EVIL LITTLE EYE

CEO: "Send in... the thundersnow."

ORCHESTRAL SEIZURE, ETC.
FINIS
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:25 pm

All mets are self-aggrandizing GenYers.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:39 pm

I'm with Juan, first thing I thought about was can I leave work early, with a real excuse this time.

I fell for it though, walked to work because its too bad to drive and I can take the bus home. It's drizzling now, not as warm as this morn, but not a flake in sight yet.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:45 pm

Rosemary wrote:...That's what channel 15's weather guy reminded me of last night while he reported the "blizzard warning" and death-inducing weather conditions. Good grief, it was funny, in a "want to poke him with a snowstick*" kind of way.

*This made-up word was actually used by whomever was transitioning to the weather guy, as in, "more snow than you can shake a snowstick at."

Because you've never heard of it, it must be made up, huh?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/?n=coop-news

Tell you what: you give us your prediction about what conditions will be over the next, say, 24 hours, and tomorrow we'll all check back and see how you did, and how the meteorologists did.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:49 pm

I think you just pissed off Chief Meteorologist Gary Kanalte. You're in trouble now.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Here's my favorite from the NOAA:
Tonight: Snow likely with widespread blowing snow before midnight, then widespread blowing snow after midnight.

Couldn't they just say, "widespread blowing snow all night" or would that be too simplistic?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:04 pm

maybe it won't be blowing AT midnight.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Who is Snow, and how much does she charge for the blowing?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:48 pm

meowzamusic wrote:Here's my favorite from the NOAA:
Tonight: Snow likely with widespread blowing snow before midnight, then widespread blowing snow after midnight.

Couldn't they just say, "widespread blowing snow all night" or would that be too simplistic?

I think, and bear in mind this is just a thought (something unlikely to grace the brain of a TV meteorologist--ha!), that the above statement means that before midnight, there will be falling snow AND blowing snow, and after midnight, the snow will no longer be falling, but will still be blowing.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All