MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby GenieU » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:07 pm

There's this thing about birthdays here that the onus is on the individual to spring for treats to bring work. All the fundamental disputes aside, I like my co-workers well enough, so I decided to pick up 2 dozen Gotham bagels and some plain and salmon cream cheese.

I didn't tell them in the bldg-wide e-mail where I had bought them-but they started asking questions almost immediately! That speaks well for the co-workers' sensitivity to food, I guess.

All I can say is that these are fantastic bagels and yes, its worth the price. I could easily eat six of them, but I'm trying to cut down a little bit this holiday season...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bakerGirl » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:01 pm

blunt wrote:Gawd I hate transplanted New Yorkers.
And New York is even worse.
You know I can't find a decent hunk of Real Wisconsin cheese there?

When I visited my brother in NY, he took me to this market where he was excited to show me this cheese and spices he loves that are "from this market in Grand Central Station" ... the cheese was Pleasant Valley Reserve and the spices were Penzey's. Dork.
bakerGirl

Postby blunt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:46 pm

bakerGirl wrote:
blunt wrote:Gawd I hate transplanted New Yorkers.
And New York is even worse.
You know I can't find a decent hunk of Real Wisconsin cheese there?

When I visited my brother in NY, he took me to this market where he was excited to show me this cheese and spices he loves that are "from this market in Grand Central Station" ... the cheese was Pleasant Valley Reserve and the spices were Penzey's. Dork.

Clueless newbie.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:25 pm

I recently checked out Gotham on a Saturday at lunch hour to see if there was any appreciable difference from their general modus operandi during the week. Being that it was during the farmer's market, the place was predictably packed (where do all the college kids get the money for a $15 lunch these days-they weren't all from New York). All of the tables were filled, so we sat at the counter, which looked like it hadn't been wiped since the earlier part of the day. The food took about 25 minutes, which seemed all the longer, having not eaten since about 8am. My observation was that they may have been short by one person in the sandwich prep area, as it was clear that duties behind the counter were being split and exchanged between employees. None of the employees looked particularly happy, which always strikes a red flag for me, particularly when I can't see the food being prepared-thankfully this place has good sight lines in that category. The staff also seemed intimidated by the manager, whose demeanor seemed better suited for a longshoreman's pier than a restaurant. The sandwich finally arrived and all observations were forgotten as it was readily consumed.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 pm

is kadouche insinuating in his new isthmus review that he had never even tasted a gotham bagel before now, or just that he hadn't been in for a full meal?
cuz if it's the former, i gotta ask, wtf?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Gotham -downhill fast?

Postby creaturenutt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:59 pm

I was thinking I might have just had a string of bad luck, but after yet another lousy experience today I gotta ask: Was that it?

When they first opened, they were absolutely top notch. Lately (ie., within the past 2 months), they seem unable to even toast or cut a bagel decently. One was even so stale (is that even possible???) that it was hard to bite into.

Is this place beginning down the same sad decline that befell Madison Bagel and Baking Company? I hate to imagine another decade without a real bagel, but I’m about finished with them after consistently cold, hap-hazardly made fare at best, and just plain bad or burnt to a black fare on particularly bad days.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or should my paranoia be kicking in about now?
creaturenutt

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Are you wearing the same shirt every time? Undiagnosed Tourette's? There's got to be some reason.

While I think their operation has suffered of late, perhaps from aiming too high too soon, or poor staffing, or I don't know what, I don't think that their quality has gone down appreciably.

Service speed, yes. Menu selection, yes. Quality, no.

Was just there yesterday morning, and business was brisk with out-of-towners leaving after having suffered through the Badger game the night before. Loving that they're offering a double-G sandwich now.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gotham -downhill fast?

Postby beenie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:22 pm

creaturenutt wrote:and just plain bad or burnt to a black fare on particularly bad days.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or should my paranoia be kicking in about now?

My desire for a real bagel won out over my disdain for their overcharging, and I treated myself to breakfast yesterday (if you want to know what I mean, I'm sure my lengthy diatribe and price comparison between Gotham and a random Long Island bagel place can be found in this thread somewhere - if not, it's on Yelp).

My bagel did indeed have a burnt spot on it, the first less-than-outstanding bagel I've had there (the black-and-white cookies, however, are another story - they're consistently mediocre, but I'm too lazy to make my own). I can't speak to the toasting of said bagels (when I'm eating them fresh, I don't do toasted), but the cutting was fine. And I still say they skimp on the cream cheese.

But as I later opined to my father (a lifelong Long Islander who agreed that the prices are over-the-top) that while I knew I "pay a lot for this muffler," paying a little more for a made-that-morning bagel still beats having my mom ship me a dozen that will wind up being 3 days old by the time I get them. It's a battle I wage with myself once every couple of months.
beenie
Forum Addict

Re: Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:53 pm

So, I've been to Montreal and had smoked meat (pastrami) at Schwartz's. I've been to Ironworks Cafe and had the pastrami sandwich there, which was presumably inspired by Jonny's trip to Montreal. And now I've had the Williamsburg, Gotham's pastrami sandwich.

Gotham's version had far and away the most meat. It was the biggest, juiciest, messiest, and caloriffic sandwich of the three, no question.

That said, it doesn't hold much of a candle to Schwartz's. Their pastrami is that perfect mix of tender, moist, and just a touch of crumbly. Their basic-level, single serving of meat sandwich may not have as much meat as half the Williamsburg, but the meat was much more than twice as satisfying.

For what it is, I don't mind Gotham charging $9.50 for their pastrami sandwich; it's decent, it's flavorful, and it's quite large. Sure, I could get more on a sandwich at Schwartz's for a lot less if I ordered a double, but that's not exactly down the road. We're in Madison; Gotham's pastrami sandwich is far from the crime it's been portrayed as in this thread.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews