MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Mickies Dairy Bar!!!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Mickies Dairy Bar!!!

Postby oregonpanthers » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:26 am

I made a visit to Mickies at the reccomendation of a good friend last week. I made my visit yesterday after he kept urging me to try their pancakes.

I have been a long time fan-favorite for TOPH and untill now I have never found a place with better flapjacks then TOPH.

I was told that Mickies has the biggest pancakes in Madison period. I was curiouse to see for myself. So on this Friday morning at 8am I walk in and find a buzzing 50's style diner with college students, bussiness types, blue collar, bikers etc, anyone and everyone was there!

I pulled up a seat at the bar and orderd up the Apple Cinnamon Raisin pancakes, a combo of which I had never tried before. Now when these suckers arrived (quickly I might add) they really were the thickest pancakes I ever saw! Thicker then the plate they came on! And they were just loaded with apples and raisins as well. Its only two cakes but by weight its got to be about 10 of TOPH standard pancakes. I have a big appetite but these guys hit the mark!

I give my vote for Mickies as the best pancakes in Madison, and for 5.50 you cant go wrong, compared to the 7.50 at TOPH anyway. Im still a fan of TOPH but Mickies has won me over as a new favorite. The best part of all is that I still have 5 other types of pancake to try at Mikies! :P
oregonpanthers

Postby Galoot » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:35 pm

My favorite Mickie's story:

Not long after I moved to Madison, in 1997, I went there with a group of people for breakfast. One person found a whole insect cooked into her fried potatoes. Yuck! You'd think they'd give her a refund for the breakfast she ordered?

No, they just gave her a refund for the potatoes.

I didn't learn my lesson, and went there for breakfast a few more times. Then I got food poisoning from one of their "scrambles". I was sick for most of a week from that. I haven't been back since.

It's apparently Lyle Lovett's favorite place to dine when he visits Madison. I guess he never heard about their policy about insects in the fried potatoes.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Galoot wrote:It's apparently Lyle Lovett's favorite place to dine when he visits Madison. I guess he never heard about their policy about insects in the fried potatoes.

Boy, you don't know Lyle Lovett very well do you?

How do you think he got to looking the way he does? It takes a lot of fried insects to get a puss like that - believe me.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Galoot wrote:Then I got food poisoning from one of their "scrambles". I was sick for most of a week from that. I haven't been back since.

Oh fooey. I ate there once a week for about 4 years (anyone know a good cardiologist?) and never once got food poisoning nor found an insect.

Your "food poisoning" was probably a fat OD (pancreatitis?) from the scramble. I know I've felt like hell at times after going from a week of light vegetarian eating to an entire sausage scrambler, side of bacon and neverending coffee refills.

Mickey's is clearly super yummy. In any case, a bit of filth is good for you. Keeps your immune system busy so it doesn't get bored and start giving you some nasty auto-immune disease.
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:50 pm

The discussion here seems to fall to one side or the other of the food vs. susbstance divide. Too bad for Mickey's that the "Cheaper than food." slogan is already taken.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:36 pm

I prefer Mickeys Alcohol Bar
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:16 pm

meowzamusic wrote:I prefer Mickeys Alcohol Bar

There you go. But they're a little precious, though. They don't even accept debit cards.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:20 pm

Galoot wrote:My favorite Mickie's story:

Not long after I moved to Madison, in 1997, I went there with a group of people for breakfast. One person found a whole insect cooked into her fried potatoes. Yuck! You'd think they'd give her a refund for the breakfast she ordered?

No, they just gave her a refund for the potatoes.

I didn't learn my lesson, and went there for breakfast a few more times. Then I got food poisoning from one of their "scrambles". I was sick for most of a week from that. I haven't been back since.

It's apparently Lyle Lovett's favorite place to dine when he visits Madison. I guess he never heard about their policy about insects in the fried potatoes.

That's not a very good story.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues