MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Welcome back students

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Welcome back students

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Just a few little rules to help you fit in:

1. Yes, you really like your taste in music. But others might not. So keep the stereo down late at night, especially in wamer weather when people have their windows open. Same goes for your vehicles with the megawatt subwoofers.

2. Use the city provided trash and recycle bins according to instructions. And don't leave them out by the curb for days after the pickup. Know your trash day and your biweekly recycle dates.

3. When you come home at bar time, remember that your neighbor's lawn is not a trash can. Also, even if there aren't any legal parking places left, that is no reason to park over my driveway. You will get towed (it will cost you about a hundred bucks and plenty of hours of aggravation).

4. Have fun, study hard and use common sense.

Again, welcome back.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Postby Dulouz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:58 pm

And whatever you do, don't have fun, unless it is approved by the Capitol Neighborhoods, Inc.

You may have thought that you moved into a student neighborhood, but the petionistas have taken over. Your grandparents loved Madison in their youth so much, they stayed, but they quit being kids long ago and now that they have had their fun, want to make sure that you are "safe" and have a healthy life while keeping it quiet for them. Since they no longer have to work and have sweet government pensions, they have all day and night to make your life a living hell because with the "boomer" generation, its all about them.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:00 pm

I forgot rule #5

5. Don't listen to Dolouz, as he is a jealous asshole.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Scuz me, I was young when I first complained about lousy behavior and I'm no Miss Goody Two Shoes. Besides that, does anybody like garbage? Most offenders wake up, the morning after and go ugh!

We do get another round of the fashion, let it all hang out, again.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6197
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Re: Welcome back students

Postby TheAntiBrenda » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Welcome to the neighborhood.

Just a few little rules to help you fit in:

1. Yes, you really like your taste in music. But others might not. So keep the stereo down late at night, especially in wamer weather when people have their windows open. Same goes for your vehicles with the megawatt subwoofers.

2. Use the city provided trash and recycle bins according to instructions. And don't leave them out by the curb for days after the pickup. Know your trash day and your biweekly recycle dates.

3. When you come home at bar time, remember that your neighbor's lawn is not a trash can. Also, even if there aren't any legal parking places left, that is no reason to park over my driveway. You will get towed (it will cost you about a hundred bucks and plenty of hours of aggravation).

4. Have fun, study hard and use common sense.

Again, welcome back.


If you don't like what the students are doing, move.

Aren't they just expressing themselves, something a good liberal would embrace? You should appreciate all forms of music, whether you enjoy it or not. Make a cup of coffee and go sit next to their window like you would at a coffee shop and appreciate the music.
TheAntiBrenda
Senior Member
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:51 pm

Re: Welcome back students

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:14 pm

TheAntiBrenda wrote:If you don't like what the students are doing, move.

Easy enough for you to say. I own my house (free and clear) and have lived here for nearly 25 years.

TheAntiBrenda wrote:Aren't they just expressing themselves, something a good liberal would embrace? You should appreciate all forms of music, whether you enjoy it or not. Make a cup of coffee and go sit next to their window like you would at a coffee shop and appreciate the music.

When all you can hear is a loud, vibrating bass sound, that is hardly listenable music. And as for my other complaints, spewing garbage around or parking across my drive (it's happened twice in recent years), would you call that "just expressing themselves?" By and large, most students in my hood (which is about fifty-fifty split between homeowners and renters) are respectful of others. In general, this is not an undergraduate area; most renters are grad students or young professionals. But it only takes a few jerks to spoil it for the rest.

At least the slum lords have been selling out, which has been easing the problems of irresponsible renters (funny how those two go together). They can't compete with all the new student housing that offers the amentities they don't. They have been selling to new homeowners, although the real estate market has slowed considerably in the last year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Welcome back students

Postby Dulouz » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:And as for my other complaints, parking across my drive (it's happened twice in recent years), would you call that "just expressing themselves?"


"Trouble, oh we got trouble,
Right here in Capital City!
With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "P"
And that stands for Parking,
That stands for parking.
We've surely got trouble!
Right here in Capital City,
Right here!
Gotta figger out a way
To keep the young ones moral after school!
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble..."
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2919
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:01 pm

Postby PureVegieDude » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:10 pm

This reminds me of a quote from the film "Breaking Away."
The mayor is talking to a bunch of disruptive students.
"To most of us Bloomington is our home.
Most of you will only be spending four years here in my town and I don't like the way you've been behaving in my home."
It goes something like that but you get the idea.

After they leave it would be interesting to see how many will end up in a college town and complain of other disrespectful students, doing what they did.
PureVegieDude
Senior Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:13 pm
Location: location..location

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Even Sheppy joins in.

Hey, at least I titled this thread Welcome Back Students. I could've called it Don't Shit in Your Own Nest.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19177
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 am

Other Rules:

6. It isn't funny when you're crossing illegally against the light and you hold up a hand to stop the oncoming car that has a green light as if you were a junior traffic cop.

7. There are people over 30 who live in the city of Madison.

8. Aging is not a disease. It's something that happens to everyone if you live long enough.

9. No, you didn't invent sex.

There will be further updates as the school year progresses. Carry on.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:40 am
Location: Madison

Postby Stomach » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:14 am

10. Every once in a while go see some local music and don't talk all the way through the band's set.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:28 pm

Postby blunt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 am

Hohum.
jjoyce, you should just post last year's Rules For Students and do it every year.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:16 pm

Is it true that dorms cost as much as a small apartment? That explains some of the migration of students beyond where they usually settle.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6197
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Postby GenieU » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:17 pm

Besides that, does anybody like garbage?


Hell Yeah, I'll go on record for liking like garbage. And students throw out the best stuff because they are so transient. I can't begin to measure the savings I've had by picking up choice plywood over the years. And Books too! This Hippie X-Mess I grabbed some Lawrence Fehrlinghetti poetry and some other romantic looking drivel that had been made into a show on PBS-the shit went straight to the Frugal Muse for in store credit! Clothes can also be exchanged for actual money. Besides Madison is too clean most of the time, more trash only serves to improve it.
Sign me "Oscar".
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 9:10 am

Postby blunt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:47 pm

GenieU wrote:
Besides that, does anybody like garbage?


Hell Yeah, I'll go on record for liking like garbage. And students throw out the best stuff because they are so transient. I can't begin to measure the savings I've had by picking up choice plywood over the years. And Books too! This Hippie X-Mess I grabbed some Lawrence Fehrlinghetti poetry and some other romantic looking drivel that had been made into a show on PBS-the shit went straight to the Frugal Muse for in store credit! Clothes can also be exchanged for actual money. Besides Madison is too clean most of the time, more trash only serves to improve it.
Sign me "Oscar".


Wait.
The band or the stuff or on the curb?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Next

Return to Town Vibe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar