MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Road

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

The Road

Postby archie » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:06 pm

Cormac McCarthy's bleak, post-apocalyptic vision asks, How do you keep going when hope is gone? This novel is not comfort food. McCarthy has looked into some dark places, and this may be the darkest. Is it his best? For me, it justifies the effort I put into reading his others: The Orchard Keeper, The Border Triology, and No Country For Old Men. Janet Maslin said, "This is art that both frightens and inspiresâ?ŠThe Road offers nothing in the way of escape or comfort. But its fearless wisdom is more indeible than reassurance could ever be." I concur. Frightening. Indelible. And ultimately uplifiting.
archie

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:07 pm

Good book.
Virtually in tears by the end.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:39 pm

A number of friends and I all ended up reading this book. Many a conversation about eating babies ensued.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Integral » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Cormac McCarthy is great. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Blood Meridian. It's incredibly violent and grim, but it's also very beautiful. It can be, depending upon your choice, simply a great story or a profound and meaningful allegory, and McCarthy's prose is sparse but intensely lyrical.
Integral

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:34 am

Got this as a Father's Day gift from my wife. (I ask you: How well does this wonderful woman know me?)

Just started it and it's all I can do to put it down. Amazing. It would seem an unlikely best-seller, not only for its subject but for its style. The popularity of books like this gives me renewed faith in humanity. Perhaps I have Oprah to thank for that?

I expect I'll finish it tonight. I'll definitely be checking out his other titles, as this is the first of his stuff I've read.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:00 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Got this as a Father's Day gift from my wife. (I ask you: How well does this wonderful woman know me?)

AAUGGHH.

That is so fucked up.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:04 pm

Read it a few months ago. Loved it. I'm planning on reading the rest of his stuff as soon as I work through my backlog.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dudemeister » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Excellent book. Perfect for a light fun read on the beach. ;)
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:55 am

Cormac McCarthy is one of the worst and most tedious writers ever to be touted.
Even more pretentious than the stupid Pretty Horses crap is The Road.
Omigod.
I felt like I was reading an even more boring version of The Celestine Prophecy---without the hope.
Seriously: do you guys really enjoy this tripe?
Gag.

Try reading
A Reader's Manifesto by BR Meyers
http://www.powells.com/review/2002_12_14.html
This is one of the best little books (expanded from an Atlantic Monthly article) I have ever read.
It pulls the literary rug out from under us all.
He unmaskes and skewers our precious elite, from Annie Proulx to Cormac McCarthy to Don Delillo.
READ IT!
Some hate it, some love it.
I love it.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby el guante » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:21 am

i sat down and read the whole book yesterday at barnes and noble. i'll probably buy it at some point too--really liked it.

my favorite kind of literature is the stuff that kind of walks the line between prose and lyric, and while that's all really arguable stuff, i saw a lot of poetry in the book, almost an epic prose poem. and i have a kind of apocalypse fetish anyway (listen to my last album), so this was good reading.

definitely want to check out his other stuff.
el guante
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:31 am

Haven't read it yet, but liked "No Country" well enough. Looking forward to reading "The Road." If you hate McCarthy so much, why read him? In my experience, some people are easily bored, or quick to write something off as pretentious, just because they don't derive any enjoyment from it (Meyers). People that waste time reading books by authors they find to be the "worst" and "most tedious" must have lots of free time.

Books that are "difficult" to read are often the most rewarding for me. Of course not everyone likes an author's particular style, and DeLillo, McCarthy, and even Pynchon have rubbed readers the wrong way forever. All the while reaping critical acclaim and boatloads of awards. This is a cultural criticism issue, and one that will never go away. Is Oprah or the average reader really educated enough to understand everything she reads on the level that the NYT book reviewer or a literature Professor does? I think not. Its like film, of course the popcorn flicks and the romantic comedies get all the attention/money from the public (like Stephen King and Harry Potter), but its the stylish indie flicks that get all the good reviews. Some of us can't stand David Lynch, and others love him. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither, and that will never change. The situation smacks of elitism for the haters, but many of these books and authors are not terrible or tedious, maybe just different than what you prefer. I can't say I disliked "White Noise" or "The Shipping News," and I look forward to reading DeLillo's latest 9/11 novel. None of them are my favorite authors, but I didn't run screaming out of the room when I read them. Its a matter of taste, we will never all agree. And the reviewer offering up Palahniuk as a panacea for stylistic writers is a laugh...I love Chuck, but come on.

I just started the new Michael Chabon, very good so far and reminiscent of Kavalier and Clay in a positive way.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:13 pm

boston_jeff wrote:If you hate McCarthy so much, why read him? In my experience, some people are easily bored, or quick to write something off as pretentious, just because they don't derive any enjoyment from it (Meyers). People that waste time reading books by authors they find to be the "worst" and "most tedious" must have lots of free time.

I just started the new Michael Chabon, very good so far and reminiscent of Kavalier and Clay in a positive way.

Because I have an open mind and try to take a look at everything from the most popular to the most obscure.
I tend to lean toward the most obscure.
(Have you actually read the BR Meyers book? Most of his critics haven't.)
I also read a lot of experimental literature.
But so much is energizing and scintillating without being pretentious and boring:
Try Patrick McGrath, Mark Halperin, Neal Stephenson, Thomas Berger, TC Boyle, Nicholas Baker, Nicola Barker, Edward Whittemore, or Kobo Abe.
Forget Delillo, Bausch, Moody, and Mitchard.
Yuk.
Yes, it's a subjective.
But: who feels me?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:35 pm

I haven't read it because I'm not really interested in nitpicky critical stuff of that ilk. I read what I like and I don't need to read a book about why what I read I shouldn't like. But thats just me, I don't have time for all that hooha. That said, I like many of the authors on his hitlist, and don't find them pretentious or boring.

TC Boyle is in my top 5 for sure btw.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books