MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

cheaper internet service?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:33 pm

a block from where Bulls BBQ was.....

They came out, hooked me up, then tried to get a signal and found out I was too far from the switching station on EWash or wherever. They don't know you're too far until they actually try --unless it's obvious of course.

Then I had to go and get my old phone service set back up....sucked. Still on dialup because I refuse to get cable tv. still works, not like my posts are any dumber now.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:01 pm

I think you guys are somewhere near me -- I am kinda behind Michaels Frozen Custard on Atwood. Some TDS sales guy actually went door to door down our block this spring and I talked to him. He claimed we could get TDS internet (no bundling, which I don't want because I have no TV) and the price was something for 12 months, then took a jump to something else. (I didn't even write down the numbers because I don't buy stuff from door to door people. I'm supposed to give my credit card or bank account number to some total stranger at the door? Come on.)

But since he had been told to do our block someone at TDS headquarters thinks they serve us here. Paco, how long ago did that happen to you? Maybe they fixed it.

I am going to look into the AT&T deal. That is a really decent price as long as it's unbundled. I mean, getting rid of dial-up does sound good by now.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:22 am

it was when I made the post. there was a little snow on the ground.
I doubt it's fixed, they need a new switching station or something.
Or I can just wait until that city-wide wireless gets out to the boonies out here. :)
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Try googling Threatened buyout of TDS and you'll get quite a bit. Looks like it didn't happen. Some folks were worried, just because they thought TDS was better at guarding consumer's privacy.

Not to dwell on this but I googled that and the only related thing that came up on the first 2 pages was a link to this thread on TDP. Must have been an opinion piece or something because I work for the place and never heard a thing about it. Not to mention the company has been family owned since it's inception (1960's?) and would be pretty big news if anything remotely close to a buyout was even "rumored".

And to clarify, yes TDS is one of the few Telecommunications companies that does not eagerly give out phone records to any governmental body without an official court order specifying dates, times, and reason for request.

Bwis53 wrote:I also have the ATT package. So far, I'm hanging onto it, because they are giving me exactly what I want at a price I can afford. How many times can you say that about a corp?

Just wait until they drive out all the competition and tell me how great their prices are.

I've had Metrocom DSL for a number of years and for the most part satisfied, but I know plenty of other people who have had problems and just as many headaches dealing with customer support so I'm not here to defend that. Just would like to see the facts kept up on the local alternatives to corporate giants like ATT (formerly SBC, formerly SBC Ameritech, formerly Ameritech, formerly....).
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think you guys are somewhere near me -- I am kinda behind Michaels Frozen Custard on Atwood.

I live maybe 4-5 blocks from you. Near Schenck school behind Woodmans. I would assume you are within Metrocom DSL coverage area. For the record I don't agree with their sales tactics either. I thought the only people that still went door-to-door were WISPIRG?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:57 pm

I thought I might have the article stored somewhere, but I can't find it and just blew a half hour looking for it. The thing that stood out about it, for me was, some people changed to TDS because they thought they were "safe" and a buyout would have put that in doubt. I don't recall reading about a deal, just a threat and fears of consumers. On one hand I think if Uncle Sam wants to fuck you, he can. On the other hand, he's been so damn clumsy plenty of times, I'm not sure he could find his way out of a paper bag.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All