MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Marathon (f.k.a. Mad City Marathon)

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Madison Marathon (f.k.a. Mad City Marathon)

Postby Learned » Fri May 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Anyone participating in any of the Madison Marathon races this weekend? I'll be taking a shot at the full 26.2. Let's hope it runs more smoothly than last year's race.

Good luck (and have fun) to runners/walkers/crawlers.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 25, 2007 4:14 pm

I loves me some Forons, but I'm just guessing there aren't many endurance athletes in this crowd. And no, case/keg races don't qualify as endurance sports.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri May 25, 2007 5:41 pm

jjoyce wrote:And no, case/keg races don't qualify as endurance sports.

Who made you the endurance sport police?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Yeah, no shit.

A couple years ago I played a triple-header at the Harmony tournament. You're going to sit there and tell me that playing three softball games in the baking sun while swilling Old Style isn't a test of endurance?

It sure as fuck tested me. And yet I endured.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Sat May 26, 2007 8:21 am

Yeah, I figured it would be a long shot. Marvell's feat of endurance sounds a lot like the running, though. Dizzy, disorientated, sweating and slurring.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 am

I've got tickets to the Beerfest this August, does that count? 5 hours worth at least.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat May 26, 2007 1:57 pm

I might do the 6k tomorrow, but I'll do it barefoot if I do run it. Does that count, since it might be as painful as 26.2 miles shod?

I'd love to train up to do a marathon, but I keep getting achilles tendonitis, whether I run barefoot or not.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat May 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Paco wrote:I've got tickets to the Beerfest this August, does that count? 5 hours worth at least.

Paco has been first hand witness to my bever-endurance.

Five hours of drinking beer is what I call cocktail-hour, then we're on to the serious stuff.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison Marathon (f.k.a. Mad City Marathon)

Postby bluethedog » Sun May 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Learned wrote:I'll be taking a shot at the full 26.2.

How did it go?

A friend of mine ran and his wife and I were at 18, 22 and the finish line to cheer him on. The finish line / corridor was pretty incredible. Lots of emotion and energy. It's easy to get choked up watching the runners come in (yes I'm a big sissy).

Next week I'm doing the Komen run for the first time and expect a lot more of the same.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:12 am

I get choked up and have to keep from bawling when I watch the runners come in at the end of the Ironman. With the energy, the spectators, the music, and the announcing of every finisher, it's easy to become emotional.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Re: Madison Marathon (f.k.a. Mad City Marathon)

Postby auntgoodness » Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 am

bluethedog wrote:Next week I'm doing the Komen run for the first time and expect a lot more of the same.

Me too. I'm expecting I'll probably get a little choked up if I finish, and I think the Race for the Cure will be extra emotionally charged to begin with.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 am

I didn't run it, but the race did run right past my apartment. Waking up at 6:30am, I was a little disoriented still and didn't realize until about 7:30 that hundreds of people were running past my apartment.

Thank God my bed is right by my window. I just leaned over, took some pics, put my camera down and went back to bed for an hour or so. Easiest pic op I've ever gotten.

I battled shin splints my entire time in track and cross country, so I try to steer clear of running for training. I did do a 20 mile bike ride yesterday, though. I think I can handle a 5k, though.

Oh, and one little bitching point - what's with people running half and full marathons making it quite clear that the race is not 13 miles (half) and 26 (whole), but rather 13.1 and 26.2 respectively? really, I didn't tell you I biked 20.35 miles (until now)...

----------------
plogging Madison...
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 am

ms4denmark wrote:Oh, and one little bitching point - what's with people running half and full marathons making it quite clear that the race is not 13 miles (half) and 26 (whole), but rather 13.1 and 26.2 respectively? really, I didn't tell you I biked 20.35 miles (until now)...

Yeah but you probably weren't in agonizing pain the last .35 either. My buddy said he might have ran a little faster before the last hard right turn to the finish line if he knew how close the finish was. He was right on the edge between running as fast as he could and having his calves give out.

He also said having his name on his bib was disconcerting (because people were calling to him by name).

Next year he is going to register under a pseudonym with an unpronounceable first name.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Mon May 28, 2007 1:00 pm

bluethedog wrote:Yeah but you probably weren't in agonizing pain the last .35 either.

Oh, contraire. I was in a lot of pain having just biked 20 miles and having to finish off with the steepest, longest incline of the ride to get back to my buddies place.

Point taken, though. I guess if I don't want to be annoyed by it, I'll just have a) steer clear of using numbers and/or b) get it right and say the .1 and .2. I think I can manage that.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Mon May 28, 2007 1:02 pm

bluethedog wrote:He also said having his name on his bib was disconcerting (because people were calling to him by name).

Working in the food industry, I get that all the time!! It just feels weird for someone to casually call out your name like they know you. "Oh, say Mark..." And, they ALWAYS say it in that manner. :lol:
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking