MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Yuengling

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby ms4denmark » Thu May 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Yuengling is a pretty decent beer. I thought it no better or worse than Leinie's. The question is, since it's "imported" from Pennsylvania, would it cost more than a Leinie's? If so, it's not worth it, imo.

And I'll give a 'here, here' to both New Glarus I.P.A. and Hopalicious. Both are expertly crafted. Though, in all honesty and in a Benedict Arnold on Wisconsin, I heart Bell's Two Hearted the most. Mmm, I just want to cuddle up under a warm blanket in front of the fire and pet it's beautiful golden hops.

---------------
pixelate your world
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 24, 2007 4:49 pm

I agree about Yeungling, very overhyped for what it is. Lots of regional WI beer is def. better. Not a fan of the IPAs although they are really popular...have to agree on the Belgians. Delerium Tremens is the shit. Will find out if they are cheaper in Belgium in 2 weeks...yum
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby steveo » Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 pm

your such a beer whore

Logjam wrote:I go to Wonder's Pub for the Old Milwaukee in a can.
steveo

Postby rockmama » Thu May 24, 2007 9:56 pm

Frank Booth wrote:
GenieU wrote:
frank booth wrote: "Yuengling" sounds like some sort of Yak-sodomizing technique.

I actually like "Blatz" and if that name doesn't evoke something at very least unsavory if not downright disgusting-then I don't know what does.

Agreed. Drinking Blatz has never made me "Blatz", but whatever it is I wouldn't want to be the one to clean it up.

As a bandmate once said, he who Blatz last, splats Blatz!
rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Thu May 24, 2007 10:09 pm

rockmama wrote:
As a bandmate once said, he who Blatz last, splats Blatz!

Funny. I used to have a college roomate who once said, "he who splats Blatz, cleans the bathroom".
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu May 24, 2007 10:23 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Funny. I used to have a college roomate who once said, "he who splats Blatz, cleans the bathroom".

Is that close to "You bloop, you borax!" ?

As far as Yuengling, it is supposed to be the oldest brewery in the country.
Beyond that, I like it quite a bit. Last visit to that area, I was disappointed that I had to leave about 8 of them in the motel fridge rather than taking them along on the plane (all that clinking glass!).
But, then, certain of my family tree hailed from the heart of PA, so I might be prejudiced. I mean, can you get a decent soft pretzel around here? Or a sub sandwich? Or the soft drink Birch Beer? Or cup cheese?

Okay, I overdid it on the cup cheese - nasty disgusting stuff.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 25, 2007 11:17 am

You guys are hitting me where I live. I like Bell's Two Hearted too, and am kicking myself for forgetting to recommend. It's an exquisite pale ale. And Delirium Tremens is one of my favorites....I even have the appropriate glass, complete with the little pink elephants.

While in Belgium, you might also sample Delirium Nocturnum (same brewer). I haven't had it in long enough to remember the difference (I think a little darker and a smidge more alcohol bite), but I do remember liking it a lot.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri May 25, 2007 11:38 am

Donges wrote: As far as Yuengling, it is supposed to be the oldest brewery in the country.

Yuengling is a basic old Lager-nothing too fancy.If memory serves, it has the beautiful tiny bubbles from natural fermetation as opposed to the huge, snappy, sparkley, Co2 bubbles that one finds in Corporate swill.

I know I should'nt Dis Belgium beer-its considered some of the best in the world, or so I'm led to believe...Just not my favorite thats all, especially the one with raspberry juice in it-Blech!

Speaking of Pennsylvanian culinary atrocities: how about "Scapple"?[/quote]
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri May 25, 2007 11:48 am

Bells 2 Hearted is my Weary Traveler beer, you're right, its the real pale ale (vs. the IPA). Many friends swear by Harpoon IPA, very popular, but I think Harpoon makes about 5 varieties that kick it in the ass. I will look for the Delerium Noct when abroad, maybe bring some back. There's one regional Abbey beer in Belgium that you can't get anywhere but there. The name is escaping me, but its in my Fodor's guide and its supposed to be amazing, but only produced in very limited runs. I'll dig it up when I'm home tonight and post it. I have a friend who wants us to tour the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam next week before we get to Bruges and Brussels, and I just laugh (wait until we get to Belgium honey---Heineken can't hold a candle).

If you ever go to Budapest, drink Belgian beer at the Belgian Brasserie. Its dirt cheap there, maybe even more so than in Belgium itself. They have matching glassware and coasters for every variety (many ended up in my pocket), and very good frites with a Russian mayo that will accompany most any beer nicely.

Btw, you can get the big boy Delerium Tremens at Star Liquor on Willy if you didn't already know. Jealous of the pink elephant glassware, I'll have to get one over there...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Frank Booth » Fri May 25, 2007 12:09 pm

gargantua wrote:And Delirium Tremens is one of my favorites....I even have the appropriate glass, complete with the little pink elephants.

In Cheyenne, WY, there is a local series of bars called "DT's" that features the little pink elephants and other weird shit on the facade. I never made it in one, I probably should have just for the clientele.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 25, 2007 12:16 pm

Yuengling, especially the lager is insanely good. How dare some of you compare it to "Swinies".

And it's brewed in lovely Pottsville. A real blue-collar town.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 25, 2007 1:30 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Btw, you can get the big boy Delerium Tremens at Star Liquor on Willy if you didn't already know. Jealous of the pink elephant glassware, I'll have to get one over there...

Steve's on University has the DT big boy too. In fact, that's where I got one of my glasses....they had a promotion in which if you bought two DT's, free glass. Like I needed the prompting! Anyway, that was about a year ago but if they do it again I'll post the info here.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sun May 27, 2007 1:58 pm

dudemeister wrote:...Kind of like Rolling Rock. Doesn't taste bad but not a "fancy" beer. Nice on a hot day.

Ummmm, ya lost me. Rolling Rock tastes like watered down piss. It probably tastes the same coming out as it does going in.

Bell's Two-Hearted and Hopalicious are yummy. You guys are making me thirsty.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue May 29, 2007 9:05 pm

One of my work buddies is from PA, and he swears by Yuengling. He just calls it lager. I've had it a few times, and it was ok. Reminded me of the old Augsburger beer.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:45 pm

buckyor wrote:One of my work buddies is from PA, and he swears by Yuengling. He just calls it lager. I've had it a few times, and it was ok. Reminded me of the old Augsburger beer.

Yuengling was my beer of choice before I moved here from Delaware. Haven't had any in over 4 years. I'll have to head down there and have a drink for my old crew.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails