MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Dog food - poop ratio

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 am

So I'm pondering switching brands. A while back I did some extensive experimentation with various cat food brands. Ultimately I settled on wellness and evo because they had the best combination of ingredients, cost, and kcal/kg. But wouldn't it be foolish to switch to some other brand that might outsource to some other company similar to menu foods? I'm really not sure...

On the other hand, maybe another competitor of menu would not have such lax quality control, ignore a potential danger for a month, or possibly use rat poison that isn't approved for use in the US...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby monsterface » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:19 pm

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but doesn't the recall only apply to wet food? I nearly freaked out and went straight home to look at the bag of kitty food I have, but then I realized that (I'm pretty sure) this is limited to cans/pouches of food, not the dry stuff.
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:21 pm

You are correct that the recall only applies to wet food (cuts n gravy style). However, since Menu Foods has shown that their attention to safety is (shall we say) relaxed, many consumers are not willing to trust that the contamination is localized within the Menu Foods facility in question. Given the number of fatalities traced to this one facility, I don't think that's an unreasonable position.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby monsterface » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:36 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:You are correct that the recall only applies to wet food (cuts n gravy style). However, since Menu Foods has shown that their attention to safety is (shall we say) relaxed, many consumers are not willing to trust that the contamination is localized within the Menu Foods facility in question. Given the number of fatalities traced to this one facility, I don't think that's an unreasonable position.

Shit.

Also, does this response to the question "Is dry food safe?" from the FAQ on their website confuse anybody else?

"Menu Foods only manufactures wet pet food in cans and foil pouches. Dry pet food is not part of the Menu Foods recall."
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Historically, dry food gets recalled quite often as well. I read somewhere that the last 10 or so recalls were for dry food. I don't think there's any reason to believe there is something intrinsic to dry food that makes it safer than wet food in general. In this case, no dry food is affected by the recall. And in the case of certain brands, e.g. Innova, the dry food is manufactured in house and thus is not even affected by menu foods.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dog food - poop ratio

Postby comte buffon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:45 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation for a dog food that produces less poop? I don't feed them cheap-ass food either. They eat nutro max. Nutro sells the "natural" version that is supposed to produce less waste but I tried it once and it didn't seem to change, except the dogs didn't like it as much. I swear to god they poop 20-30% more than they eat. HOW! It is maddening.

Very impressive work, narco. This is an example of a potentially mundane and limited thread topic (no offense intended) that reached the FOUR page mark, thanks to its seamless merge with a current, if subcultured, news item. Note that your introductory question was comprehensively answered in the third post.

A+++
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:26 am

You should have printed that in green. To go with your envy.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:29 am

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:37 am

I hear Menu Foods is changing its name to Chapter Eleven Vittles 'n' Snips.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All