MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

IDEAL FOR YOU apparently wasn't

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

IDEAL FOR YOU apparently wasn't

Postby blunt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:42 pm

Top of State.
Offered an "Exquisite shopping experience."
But another one down.
Mom and child forlornly watched as dad held the store's hair while it barfed its guts out onto the street and into a rental van.
In the rain, no less.

Moment of silence.....
Peace be upon you.

From your personal DORK (Downtown Oracle and Repository of Knowledge.)
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: IDEAL FOR YOU apparently wasn't

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:46 pm

blunt wrote:And another one down.
Mom and child forlornly watched as dad held the store's hair while it barfed its guts out onto the street and into a rental van.
In the rain, no less.

Moment of silence.....
Peace be upon you.

This is the little boutique on the capital end of State, right? Maybe if they took Sunday as their off-day rather than SATURDAY, they might have done better. Could there be a worse idea than closing a State St. shop on Saturday?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: IDEAL FOR YOU apparently wasn't

Postby acereraser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:57 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
blunt wrote:And another one down.
In the rain, no less.

Moment of silence.....
Peace be upon you.

This is the little boutique on the capital end of State, right? Maybe if they took Sunday as their off-day rather than SATURDAY, they might have done better. Could there be a worse idea than closing a State St. shop on Saturday?

I walk past that store (or ex-store) a couple times a day, and would give them the title for Worst Business Plan on State Street. I mean, two popcorn (?) stores can exist on the same side of the street on the same friggin' block for years, but they couldn't figure out that, yeah, maybe we should be open on the weekends.

If I remember correctly, the owners of Twee & Luliloo and Ideal are sisters from California; I've gotten the impression from somewhere they came here to open stores in markets that are full back home, and also that the success of their stores will have absolutely no impact on their general financial well-being. It's hard work, this work is hard.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby comte buffon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Their religious practice impedes them from working on Saturdays. I think they belong to the Church of Latter Day Saints. Not taking a side either way, just sayin'

Here's more:

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/article. ... _id=196752

"Meanwhile, the lure of capitalism is what drives Agape Hammond, who runs a boutique across the street from Chehade. Hammonds always dreamed of owning her own business someday. "Ever since I was a really little girl it was my passion," she says.

Hammond opened Ideal for You (103 State) two years ago in a move that brought her and her husband, Philip Jaklich (a first generation Yugoslavian), from California in search of a simpler life.

"Madison had everything we wanted except for the weather," says Hammond, waving toward the snowdrifts out the window. A relatively small population, a university, and easy commute were paramount priorities for them, yet they both wanted to be somewhere with the feel of a city. With the quick success of her shop (and the help of her sister Charis), Hammond recently unveiled another storefront, the candy store twee & luliloo (218 State), just a block away.

While Ideal for You caters to the professional crowd with luxury items, Hammond explains, the candy store appeals to just about everyone -- what she calls State Street's "walking around crowd."

"Really," she laughs, "I don't think candy age- or class-discriminates."

The offspring of first- and second-generation Mexican immigrants, Hammond spent her childhood in several locales, including nine years in Honduras, before settling with her family in California. Like Chehade, she says she never quite fit in -- appearing Mexican to her American friends, yet not looking "American" enough in Honduras. "I grew up always being aware of my heritage," she says. "At 12 you feel a little odd about it all. But now I use it to my advantage. I want to see what I can do with it."

Given Hammond's aesthetic -- itself a fusion of feminine and modern, exotic and comfortable -- it is clear why she finds in business an opportunity "to beautify the world, to bring a little extra to it."

"We'll see in five years how it goes," she says of her ventures. "But I'm putting everything I have into it, everything of myself."
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:50 pm

comte buffon wrote:Their religious practice impedes them from working on Saturdays. I think they belong to the Church of Latter Day Saints. Not taking a side either way, just sayin'

Okay, fair enough. But I got a plan for ya. It's called "Hire a Saturday manager." I don't think Latter Jesus is going to send you to hell for letting someone else open your shop for you.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 pm

comte buffon wrote:Their religious practice impedes them from working on Saturdays. I think they belong to the Church of Latter Day Saints. Not taking a side either way, just sayin' . . .

Mormons are not Sabbatarians. Must've been some other cult, er, denomination . . .
chance
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:38 pm

chance wrote:
comte buffon wrote:Their religious practice impedes them from working on Saturdays. I think they belong to the Church of Latter Day Saints. Not taking a side either way, just sayin' . . .

Mormons are not Sabbatarians. Must've been some other cult, er, denomination . . .

I would guess 7th day Adventists, I believe their holy day is Saturday.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:49 pm

I have no objection to business owners that are willing to put their faith ahead of making a few more bucks by remembering their sabbath and keeping it holy.

IMHO, they're the ones who walk the walk.

Of course, if your profit margins are thin (and they probably are if you're paying State Street rents), it also carries a fair amount of risk when you're limiting your business hours by a day per week. But they know that.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Orthodox Jews take Saturdays off too.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:40 pm

Sheppy wrote:Orthodox Jews take Saturdays off too.

I'm an atheist and I also take Saturdays off. Come to think about, since I've retired I take every day off.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:10 pm

Whatever's ideal for you.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm wondering, how difficult is it to sell clothes, at reasonable prices and pay the rent Downtown? When I do go to State St., I aim right at Winter Silks, Ragstock, and Land's End. I'll forever regret not grabbing a $5.(yes,$5.) navy gabardine,long, old-style trenchcoat at Ragstock. That place is fun to bargain hunt at, even for an old lady like me.

Last week I found some hard-to-find paper,at University Book Store. The stupid customer service people at Office Depot couldn't be bothered or just don't carry it.

The boutiques, I avoid, just like the gaggles of kids and tourists. If I count the places I like, on State, I guess it's 50-50.

Oh, and Cap Foods has been pretty nice the last few times. Good looking produce and yogurts, that saved me from over-spending at the salad bar near my work. Madison Sour Dough too.

I just remembered it's been too long since I enjoyed the Plaza or Nick's!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:07 pm

And here I thought this was going to be about the Ideal Bar closing
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:43 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'm wondering, how difficult is it to sell clothes, at reasonable prices and pay the rent Downtown? !

Probably very.
The Milsted Reich were landlords for Ideal and are notorious for overpricing and being snobs in general.
You know the guy that owns the drumset in the window above teddywedgers is not just a musician.
His gigs probably only pay for the stamp on the rent check.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe