MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pussy Cat Dolls

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Pussy Cat Dolls

Postby Dulouz » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:51 pm

Salon has a nice article by Heather Havelesky.

My favorite quote: " But look, let's not jump to conclusions. Maybe these girls are just exercising their power by strutting their stuff. Maybe some of them are post-feminist scholars and they're subverting the dominant paradigm of objectification by taking ownership of the terms and symbols of the whore and repurposing those terms and symbols in deeply empowering ways... you know, like by imitating the storefront prostitutes of Amsterdam."

I was subjected to the first two episodes by the tweener in the house. Well, 1.5, we closed down the second hour half-way through.

Unlike the Mad Dolls and Cherry Pops, these groups are pure explotation. There is no control of the women, they are just trading their soul for a shot at being the next Li'l Kim.

In some ways this is worse that Flavor Fav's recent shows. His premise was up front and honest about the explotation (how many times can I hook up on cable television) and it was pretty clear that the contestants were as committed to using him as he was of using them.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:40 pm

The only reason you've even heard of PCD is because their label presdident, Jimmy Iovine, is banging the lead singer Nicole Scherzinger.
She actually talented, and can sing, but the rest are backup dancers miming to tracks.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:21 pm

jammybastard wrote:The only reason you've even heard of PCD is because their label presdident, Jimmy Iovine, is banging the lead singer Nicole Scherzinger.

Dude, in some form or another the PDs have been around since 1995. To suggest the only reason they're a blip on the cultural radar is some chick from Eden's Crush reveals that you are once again talking out your ass. Here's some other reasons some people might have heard of the PUsscyat Dolls: Carmen Electra, Christina Applegate, Charlie's Angels, Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears, Playboy magazine, Pamela Anderson, The Viper Room, The Roxy, MTV, VH1 ... there association with all of these things predate the involvement of Scherzinger.

Oh, and Melody Thornton, Carmit BAchar and Jessica Sutta all sing too, bitch.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:23 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:
jammybastard wrote:The only reason you've even heard of PCD is because their label presdident, Jimmy Iovine, is banging the lead singer Nicole Scherzinger.

Dude, in some form or another the PDs have been around since 1995.

Oooohhhh...PWND by a PCD fanboy on the DPF!
Definately a milestone.
Guess what? It's not '95 anymore and you fail to address how a lip synching cabaret act went from the Viper Room to a top seller on Universal with a tv spinoff in 10 years?

I'll give you a hint, and this might sound familiar:
the lead singer is fucking the label head, who *created* the current version (think franchise) of the PCD in a marketing meeting.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:29 am

jammybastard wrote: you fail to address how a lip synching cabaret act went from the Viper Room to a top seller on Universal with a tv spinoff in 10 years?

I didn't fail to address that at all. I actually listed a whole slew of reasons, dumbshit.
jammybastard wrote:
the lead singer is fucking the label head, who *created* the current version (think franchise) of the PCD in a marketing meeting.
Yeah, in 2003.
Before that, contrary to your claims, a gazillion people had heard of the PCDs.
Face it bucko, your theory holds no water.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:38 am

[quote="lordofthecockrings"].
Face it bucko, your theory holds no water.[/quote

Yep, you're right. You have clearly shown you know more about the inner workings of the music buisness and the history of PCD than I do.
Enjoy basking in the glow of your accomplishment.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV