MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What's Charter's New Deal?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

What's Charter's New Deal?

Postby King Wilsie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:16 pm

I've been hearing ads for Charter claiming you can get 3 Meg internet service and cable TV for $29.99 a month for 12 months.

I can't find jack on their web site about it. I would call, but at the end of the ad they give some weird phone number.

Anybody know what's up?
King Wilsie

Postby Darthcrank » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:53 pm

I've been told I have a good deal that is guaranteed another year or so...see how this compares.

I have 3M down/256 up service (34.99)
Basic (10.44)
Expanded (24.26)
HBO/Cinemax (9.82)
Starz (2.27)
"Charter Movie View" (I have no idea what the hell this is...must be a tier?) (3.02)
Charter Total View (again, this didn't exist under this title when I signed up, so this is also a mystery) (10.00)
4 digital receivers (20.15)
Modem lease of 2.95

Minus the extra receivers I get damn near everything for just over $100.00, plus I have phone service for another 36.50 per month plus another $10 in taxes. (No long distance fees)

I have heard that recent packages are higher?
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Heres the Number

Postby Justcub » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:16 am

Hey:

I havent called yet myself, but plan on it, probably SUnday evening
I mean I dont need digital or the movie channels so it seems like a great deal to me considering what I am currently paying for the same services .

but here is the number from the commercial I jotted it down

877-728-3184.

Let us know here if you call in and what the details are

JC
Justcub

Postby universitylad » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:01 am

My complex is moving towards providing bulk satellite cable and free interet access. I look forward to the upcoming day when I can call and rid myself of a cable and internet bill of more than 100 quid.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:17 pm

When they start offering screaming deals to new folks you gotta call and harass them about being a current subscriber. We've done it a couple of times and each time they cut us a deal--not necessarily what they offer to the newbies but a rate cut. And we don't even get the digital cable shit, so you folks out there who do might get an even sweeter deal--but you gotta call and at least fake some outrage about it.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 am

i don't have it either, but find out if you have to sign up for MORE than 1 year. I'd love the high speed internet, don't need cable tv at all but at that price I'd get it.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby King Wilsie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:23 pm

In the last week or so, it seems like they've added a bunch of new deals for telephone, internet, and cable. If you do sign up, the nice thing is that you can cancel whenever you feel like. Of course calling them to cancel can be painful, but what isn't these days.

Calling them up to say you want a better deal is a good tactic. Usually though, I've found you have to say that you're going to cancel your service if something isn't done.

As an example, one time they sent me a letter saying I could get a great package deal on digital cable and internet. When I called them, the guy claimed that I couldn't get the deal because I already had all services in the deal. I mean, this was a letter with my name on it, not just one of their random flyers.

I'm just hoping that all these recent deals are a response to increased sales of satellite and the possible availability of new internet/TV services from different companies.

Things have to change.
King Wilsie

Postby square » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:55 pm

i cant remember the last time i payed for internet...
square
Forum Addict

Postby King Wilsie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:19 pm

square wrote:i cant remember the last time i payed for internet...

By legal means?
King Wilsie

Postby DedeTate » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:38 am

but find out if you have to sign up for MORE than 1 year.

I called yesterday, and for the first time ever, actually had a positive experience with Charter. I told the representative that I had seen the commercial and wanted to switch my current service to the deal. The whole thing took less than five minutes, and I did not have to commit for more than twelve months (after a year, the price just goes back up to its previous, astronomical levels).
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:20 pm

DedeTate wrote:
but find out if you have to sign up for MORE than 1 year.

I called yesterday, and for the first time ever, actually had a positive experience with Charter. I told the representative that I had seen the commercial and wanted to switch my current service to the deal. The whole thing took less than five minutes, and I did not have to commit for more than twelve months (after a year, the price just goes back up to its previous, astronomical levels).

I agree. This new deal where they bend you over and rape your ass with a splintered broom handle is way better than the old deal where they bent you over and raped your ass with a splintered shovel handle.

I don't know if they use different wood for the brooms or what, but I am getting like 5% less bleeding.

$130 for intarweb and TV, no HD Fox. LAME. Oh well, woulda bought an HDTV antennae anyway for PIP.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby King Wilsie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:42 pm

I finally called Charter today and got the scoop about what's up.

I guess $29.99 a month gets you 3 Meg internet service, but only the local channels for TV. For $50 a month, you can get 3 Meg internet and expanded basic for a year.

They said they didn't have any stand alone options for internet that are good for a year.

Now I'll have to decide if I want to go back to dealing with the devil.
King Wilsie

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:35 pm

King Wilsie wrote:I finally called Charter today and got the scoop about what's up.

I guess $29.99 a month gets you 3 Meg internet service, but only the local channels for TV. For $50 a month, you can get 3 Meg internet and expanded basic for a year.

Still, $50 is HALF of what expanded basic coupled with the LOWEST internet speed costs.
What number should I call to try and stick it to da man? The regular number or the number for the new dealio?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 pm

But wait, there's more!

I'm one of those idiots who has Charter ONLY for internet, and the pricey 5mb service no less.
Of course I get a call every six months offering me cable tv, voip, etc...
and I always say, like Amy Winehouse, "No, No, No!"

Got a call today telling me that they were giving me free basic cable for 6 mos., and that I "could cancel at anytime".

"So what happens at the end of 6 mos.?"
"Like I said, you can cancel at anytime."
"So does that mean I have to pay for basic cable if I don't cancel at the end of the 6 mos.?"
"Ok, don't bother even turning it on. I don't need basic cable anyway or the hassle of caling you back."
"Are you SURE??? It's SIX MONTHS OF FREE BASIC CABLE!!!"
"Yes, I'm sure. Don't turn it on."
<click>

I wonder if I should call and see if I've got basic cable regardless of what I told them?
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:56 am

what's all in basic cable? fox, the big 3, pbs, 57.....anything else???
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV